PDA

View Full Version : Is Hotmail email account not free anymore?

Lisa03
01-07-2003, 01:20 PM
I have a local Internet Provider and way back when, I signed up for Hotmail ( forgot how I got there) and so I have been using that account for a long time now. It was Free when I did it

I still can get in my account fine ( & free)

Now my mom has her computer running now (Internet) and I wanted to get her signed up to Hotmail so she could chat with me or our Preacher

When I did it, it asked for billing information

Did it changed or am I doing something wrong?

This really is crappy because she can't pop up a message.

captorquewrench
01-07-2003, 01:23 PM
the upgrade is not free (for the extra storage), but the basic account should still be. they just make it hard for you to see how to not pay. i think it's the msn.com address that is not free

chort1313
01-07-2003, 01:24 PM
No, it's still free. You have to read the fine print.. They want you to pay for some extra features so they can make money .. but you can continue thru it. try again!

Lisa03
01-07-2003, 01:24 PM
I must be doing something wrong. I just tried to set up an account for her on her computer and then it would ask me for CC information.

Lisa03
01-07-2003, 01:26 PM
I wonder if I can set her up an account from my PC?

It's weird cause I wasn't trying to upgrade her or anything

Just trying to make an account

I'll keep trying

thanks everyone

Sparkli
01-07-2003, 01:30 PM
lisa, you have to scroll all the way down to the very very end of the bill page and click that you want the free 2MB account... it's at the very bottom of the page.

hope that helps tammy

chort1313
01-07-2003, 01:30 PM
You need to read the fine print! :)

This is at the bottom of the page where you're clicking to enter your billing info and you shouldn't click there. Scroll down and read this!

MSN Hotmail offers 2 megabytes (MB) of storage space, the ability to send or receive 1.0 MB attachments, and virus scanning for free accounts. If you do not keep your account below the 2 MB storage limit, MSN Hotmail may remove some messages and their attachments. Messages and attachments removed by MSN Hotmail cannot be recovered. You also must log in every 30 days or your account will be marked 'inactive' and all e-mail, addresses, and folders will be deleted. Click here to sign up for a 2 MB Account.

Click on where it says "Click here." It takes you right thru the procedure.. doesn't ask for billing info. HTH!

cpbaby
01-07-2003, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by chort1313
You need to read the fine print! :)

This is at the bottom of the page where you're clicking to enter your billing info and you shouldn't click there. Scroll down and read this!

Click on where it says "Click here." It takes you right thru the procedure.. doesn't ask for billing info. HTH!

And its in TEENSY TINSY letters!

jayhawkfan
01-07-2003, 01:36 PM
I have never had an account there so I went and signed up just now. They do make it a bit tricky I must say. At the screen where it says continue to billing information you have to scroll all the way down to where it tells about the 2 different sized accounts. At the very bottom paragraph in very small letters is a place to click(it says click here to sign up for a 2 mb account) Click it and it will finish the registration for you :)

Lisa03
01-07-2003, 01:36 PM
lol- I am trying. I think my problem is that I didn't know where to start! Still don't, lol!! I am trying :)

Thanks everyone

jayhawkfan
01-07-2003, 01:37 PM
LOL I guess we all had the same idea :)

Lisa03
01-07-2003, 01:45 PM
I got it, I got it!!

oh it is small!!

Trouble that I had is trying to find a name for her account

THANKS EVERYONE!!

Lisa03
01-07-2003, 01:46 PM
I wanted to get the hotmail so she could use the MSN Messenger so she could talk to me.

I warned her about the spam

Lora_1994
01-07-2003, 01:50 PM
Hotmail accounts are for MSN chat and messaging, right???

When I signed up for MSN, I used my yahoo e-mail, not knowing if it would work and it did. I dont know if it was supposed to, but I've never had an ounce of problems with logging onto msn chat or getting messages from anyone with webtv, msn or hotmail addys.

Lisa03
01-07-2003, 01:59 PM
interesting. I thought you had to have hotmail only for that

wow :)