PDA

View Full Version : Help Us Find A Cure For Cancer With Your Computer!!

Yasha
01-05-2003, 04:38 AM
http://members.ud.com/img/vypc_btn.gif

I just created our very own BigBig Savings Cancer Research Team :) :) Joining is very simple. All you need is a computer and an initial internet connection, and to download the UD software. (1.56MB)

Its like a screensaver, than can run in the background or when your computer is idle. When it first starts up, it will need to connect to the internet to gather data to process. When it has finished its current batch (takes about a day) it will need to connect once again to upload the research data.

YOU CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE

By combining thousands of ordinary PCs to work on extremely large computational projects, problems can be solved more quickly and less expensively than by conventional methods. Now regular people can help fuel research and projects that previously may have required a bank of supercomputers or a hundred years to complete. The Volunteer Your PC program lets you make a real difference without donating money or your time with the tool that you are using to view this site right now—your home PC.

United Devices supports non-profit projects like our current United Devices Cancer Research Project. UD maintains a member policy of full disclosure and full choice. Members always know what project is running on their machine and will always be able to opt out if they do not want to participate. The UD Agent isn't invasive on either a personal or technical level. Our Agent runs unobtrusively in the computing background, and we have stringent policies to protect our Members' privacy and security.

You can even see the research being done, its kinda complicated (molecular biology) but it looks really cool!

Download The Software (http://members.ud.com/download/gold/)

I always leave my computer on overnight, and now I feel like I can contribute to the research efforts. So go on, why not give it a try.

Oh, did I also tell you that the logner you leave your computer on processing, the more 'points' you recive. THe teams points are tallied up each month I believe and the highest ranking members (and teams) are eligible for prizes!

Join The BBS Team HERE (http://members.ud.com/services/teams/team.htm?id=3F993CDF-B463-4572-B5AC-0390A1214084)

Yasha
01-05-2003, 01:22 PM
You know I am really disappointed to see only 11 views to this post. How many of you leave your computer on doing nothing? You can help with this research, and I thought many of you WOULD be interested!

renrut*
01-05-2003, 02:39 PM
ok i downloaded it and clicked on your post and tried to register on the bbs team but its saying my paaword in not right-i tried to sign up/log in/ on the home page once i installed it and it says that my info is not correct-um hello? i never entered anything for it not to be correct-i am confused!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!yasha!!!!!!!!!!!

Yasha
01-05-2003, 02:59 PM
Did you get an email with a password in it?

Yasha
01-05-2003, 03:01 PM
https://members.ud.com/services/login/set_recovery.htm

Click on 'Forgot Your Password'

renrut*
01-05-2003, 03:32 PM
nope didnt get a email

renrut*
01-05-2003, 03:35 PM
ok i tried and now i give up-lol
i did the lost opassword and it said it emailed me but that was a ong timwe ago and still no email.

Yasha
01-05-2003, 03:49 PM
Are you sure you put in the right email address? You DID register first, then sign up for the team..?

renrut*
01-05-2003, 03:52 PM
yes i did it 2 times. yes,when i went to register it said incorrect combination. i have never been to this site-so i dont know whats wrong

Yasha
01-05-2003, 03:55 PM
OK can you try doing it through the program itself? I believe that the first time you run it you can register through there

mesue
01-05-2003, 08:32 PM
I would love to do this but even though I'm paying 19.95 my connection is so slow now if I added anything it would be even slower. I'n not sure it would even work I'm constantly emptying my cache and history to keep a speed connection of 19.4 my modem is 56k and emailing my server is a joke which is what I told them my connection speed was.

Yasha
01-05-2003, 09:00 PM
You dont have to be constantly connected to the internet. Just when it starts up and finishes. Mine had been going non-stop for a day now and its only processed 38% of its current task.

mesue
01-05-2003, 09:46 PM
Yes but for me its not possible since I only have one phone line.

Yasha
01-05-2003, 09:53 PM
Hun, you only need to connect ONCE every couple of days, it uses your internet connection, no different than being online right now. It downloads the information, and it works with that information, OFFLINE, till its done.

Cowgirlie_in_Tennessee
01-07-2003, 04:04 PM
If the UD Agent is using my computer's resources, will this affect my regular computer use?
No. Configured correctly, the UD Agent will never interfere with your ability to use your own
computer. Most computers never use all of their resources-it is estimated that up to 90% of the
processing power of an individual PC goes unused. The United Devices distributed computing model is
based on the ability to utilize this "idle" capacity from individual computers.

Do I have to leave my computer on all the time for this to work? Or always be online?
The UD Agent can run only when your computer is on, but it will automatically start when you start
your computer. The more your computer is on, the more processing happens, and the more points you
get for sweepstakes and other Volunteer Your PC member rewards. The UD Agent doesn't need to be
connected to the Internet to work its task, but once finished, it needs to reconnect to return data and
to get a new task to work on.

Will running the UD Agent cost me more in electricity?
The amount of electric energy consumed by your computer is in many ways related to how much
processing that it is doing at any given time. If it is sitting completely idle, then it uses very little
power, while opening several programs causes it to use more power. Since the UD Agent uses the
spare resources on your computer, then it will cause the computer to use slightly more in electricity and
therefore you may see a slight increase in your electricity costs. Exactly how much this increase will
impact you depends on conditions where you live. In most places, the impact will be the equivalent of
an additional low watt light bulb. If these costs are a concern, you can limit the operational time for the
UD Agent through its device preferences, which are located in your member profile.

What about connection costs?
The UD Agent operates as any other Internet application, and requests an Internet connection
from your computer. If using a properly configured dial-up connection, Windows will automatically dial
your Internet Service Provider (ISP). When this is completed, the UD Agent will then attempt to contact
our servers through the Internet. Therefore, the only costs associated with the connection depend on
your service with your ISP. Uploads and downloads do not typically require lengthy connections,
however busy periods or maintenance outages may impact your connection.

If connection times are a concern then you can manage the UD Agent by setting Windows to "never
dial a connection" unless manually initiated, and/or set the UD Agent to only attempt an Internet
connection during certain times of the day through the "device profile" in your Member Profile's Device
Manager.

This sounds too good to be true. Am I missing something?
Everything is on the level. This is the ultimate win-win situation. Members of the Volunteer Your PC
program contribute computer time that normally would go to waste. Our customers and project partners
can access more computing power to advance their projects. United Devices picks up a fee for building
and administering the software that does it all, and we all get to feel terrific because we are changing
the world.

Cowgirlie_in_Tennessee
01-07-2003, 04:05 PM
Is it safe? What are the security risks of downloading the UD Agent software?
There are security risks in every application downloaded from the Internet, period. However, we
take security very seriously at United Devices. We have a comprehensive system of technology and
policies to protect you, your computer, and the data running on it. The measures that we use include,
but are not limited to, virus scanning all of our build environments, digitally signing information sent to
the UD Agent, encryption both of locally stored files and files sent to the UD Agent, and biometric
access control to the United Devices servers. We do everything we can to keep both the UD Agent and
our server systems as secure as possible.

Will my privacy be compromised?
No. No personally identifiable information is required to run the UD Agent. You do not need to
provide us with any personal information after downloading to run the UD Agent. However, some
location information is required to have your points and cpu time included on some stats pages.
Members are told every instance where their e-mail addresses might be used and are given the option
to allow or disallow specific e-mail uses. You decide what news and information you wish to receive
from us, and you have the ability to view and change these preferences at any time. The UD Agent
itself does not read information beyond its specific directory, except for occasional use of the Windows
temporary directory during the processing of Work Units. Beyond this, the only information taken from
the computer by the UD Agent is the system information required to determine the individual
computer's contribution (see "How does the UD Agent determine the information that it gathers from
my machine" for more information.) Furthermore, all transactions involving the exchange of this
information, whether through the member section of our website or during registration of the UD Agent,
go through secure servers to protect the data. To find out more about Member privacy, review our
Member Privacy Policy.

How does the UD Agent determine the information that it gathers from my machine?
The UD Agent determines your processor speed, RAM, and network device by querying the
operating system specifically for this information. The storage space displayed is the lesser number
between the space allocated in the Device Profile and the actual free space of the drive/partition that
the UD Agent is installed on, determined by specifically querying the operating system for that
information.

Cowgirlie_in_Tennessee
01-07-2003, 04:06 PM
Hope that convinces some more of you to join. I'll sign up for ya Yasha!