PDA

View Full Version : Lord of the Rings fans? I have a ?

Syrinx
12-30-2002, 06:06 AM
I'm sure there are plenty of fans of the books here, so what I want to know is how old were you the first time you read them?

I'm just curious, because I first read them when I was twelve. I just read an article in the Books section of the NY Times, the author said that she's read them once a year since she was about ten. (I do the same thing, read them once a year).

But I also keep hearing about libraries that used to have copies both in the children's section and in adult fiction, but have removed the ones from the children's section because the books are now considered either too difficult or inappropriate for children. I disagree with that attitude, probably because I was so young when I discovered them. Opinions?

trufflez
12-30-2002, 07:18 AM
I remember checking them out of the school library several times in probabily Jr. High and trying to read them but they were over my head. Now, I've seen the movie 3 times and am still learning and seeing things I didn't see the previous times I saw it.

jaimethepooh
12-30-2002, 10:29 AM
i started reading them in highschool got halfway throught the two towers. i loved the hobbit when i was a kid. I made the joke i'll wait for the movie to come out becuase i couldn't finish reading them and ha! almost 10 years later they are

Linnapoo
12-30-2002, 01:47 PM
I read the LOTR series when I was about 12 and continue to read it every year or so. Here in Lubbock, TX the local libraries have been sponsoring contests for children in attempts to get them to red the books as well as see the movies. They haven't been able to keep the books on the shelves since they started the contests. Hopefully this will gets kids interested in reading challenging books.

miccit
12-30-2002, 04:01 PM
DH read them when he was much younger (not sure how old). He loves those books. We got him the dvd collection for Christmas and it came with a free ticket to see the new movie which he is going to see tonight. I also happened to find a dvd of the old Lord of the Rings and Hobbit cartoon version movie at Half Price Books. Needless to say his was a very Merry Christmas. I will give him credit it is much better than his Trek addiction!;)

bonniejeanne
12-30-2002, 09:04 PM
The first time I read them was when I was taking a fantasy literature course in college.

My now 15 year old son read them when he was about 8 years old. My 13 year old son read them in the last year.

Syrinx
12-31-2002, 06:31 AM
Thanks!

I was just surprised when I read that. They are challenging books, but I think it's good to read them first as a young reader, because I've found that every time I re-read them, I notice details I overlooked before and that the way I perceive them has changed as I've gotten older.