PDA

View Full Version : Man beaten and robbed(long)

Mini
12-20-2002, 06:48 PM
Seventy-three-year-old Bob Harrison was sitting in his living room chair when two men came inside, attacked him and stole his wallet and the more than $1,100 in it, he said.

The police have been trying to track down the two men involved in the home-invasion robbery, which occurred at about 11:40 p.m. Wednesday a week before Christmas.

Harrison said the attack broke his left eye socket and left him without money he had saved over the past year from his monthly $750 Social Security checks. He said most of the money was to go to pay for Christmas presents for his family.

"There was blood all over that curtain and blood all over that phone," Harrison said, sitting Thursday night in the same chair where he was attacked.

"They fixed me up," he said. "They beat the side of my face. They worked me over."

Harrison, a widower, also lost his drivers license and everything else in his wallet.

He was treated at the hospital and released Thursday morning.

Harrison and police said the men were driving a dark-colored "sports-type" vehicle. Harrison said they were in their late teens or early 20s and both had dark hair. He said one was slim and the other had a medium build.

"We have several witnesses we're interviewing right now, and we have several leads we are pursuing," he said.

Yaniero(police chief) said everyone -- but especially senior citizens -- should be wary of strangers coming into their homes.

"Especially at night, they need to be careful who they open the door for," he said.

To lessen the likelihood of becoming a robbery victim, Yaniero said that instead of carrying large sums of cash people should use checks, credit cards, cashier's checks or money orders that can be canceled if reported stolen.

Harrison said he won't worry about that this year. He doesn't have any extra money left to spend.

Harrison said he had never seen the two men who attacked him until Wednesday night at the American Legion. He said he suspects they were from out of town but really doesn't know.

"I had been talking to them, but I didn't know them," he said.

Harrison said he saves up every year to give money to his two grown sons, who live in Virginia. He said the money goes to help with Christmas gifts for the sons' wives and children.

He said he had given money to one son already and that the other one probably won't get any because of the robbery. He said he had 25 cents left on him after the attack.

"I just get $750 a month for old age. I've got a bad heart and a bad leg," said Harrison, an Army veteran who was a private first class in Vietnam and who has worked as a night watchman at one local school.