PDA

View Full Version : Need help with bunny!!!

justinenycole26
11-24-2002, 02:24 PM
My sister has an Australian bunny that had a stillborn baby this morning. She is not eating and does not want anyone near her, she will not let them pet her or anything. She is still bleeding a little bit, kinda spotting. Is this normal? I know MK has bunnies, can anyone help? She does not have the $ to take her to the vet, there is only one vet in town that sees bunnies and they are VERY expensive.

~MK~
11-24-2002, 02:31 PM
Did she only have one bunny? Did they take it away from her right away?

Bunnies are just like humans, they will grieve the loss of their babies. It is normal to spot, and it is very possible that there are still more waiting to be born as well if she is still spotting and not eating or wanting to be touched. It can take up to 24 hours for an entire litter to be born.

justinenycole26
11-24-2002, 02:44 PM
Thanks MK! I'm sending my sister over to read the post. BTW, are you and the babies any better?

~MK~
11-24-2002, 02:48 PM
The kids still have their colds..they're just hanging on. The baby is cranky because she's still got a cough and a runny nose and she's teething. I am losing my voice..my throat hurts and it's scratchy and I can barely talk. But other that that we're all feeling better.

thumperMom
11-24-2002, 07:07 PM
Well, thumper only had one baby, so far. She is still very distant. She is not responding to me when I call her name, and when I put my hand in her cage to pet her, she shies away. normally, she will come up to me and snuggle up to my hand. she seems to have stopped bleeding, and isn't grunting anymore like she was earlier (she seemed to be having contractions). When we noticed the baby, it had probably been there for at least an hour, and she wasn't near it, she had her back to it. we took it out as soon as we noticed it. Buddy (the daddy) is also very distant right now because thumper has been taken away from him for over 24 hours. he has not been seperated from her for more than an hour. I am not sure if we should keep thumper seperated another day, or if we should go ahead and put her back with buddy so they can snuggle. should i take her to the vet??

~MK~
11-24-2002, 07:10 PM
I would keep them away from each other for now. You sure don't want another pregnancy right now. She's just grieving and wants to be left alone. As long as she's not bleeding or anything, I would just leave her be for a couple days.

Usually if they have a still birthed one, they are too busy with the others to grieve, but she only had one, so it's especially hard on her.

If she doesn't start drinking, syringe feed her a dropper full every half hour or so. If things aren't right within 72 hours, I would vet her.

thumperMom
11-24-2002, 07:15 PM
do you think she can have babies? we wanted to have more bunnies, and to raise them with the kids, each one wanted their own! The 7 year old saw the baby, so she is taking it really hard. thumper is almost 4, so stuart though maybe she was too old to have babies. Maybe it would be easier to just get buddy and thumper fixed and get babies from somewhere else.

~MK~
11-25-2002, 05:49 AM
That is pretty old for a bunny, especially to be having babies. I would get them fixed and get them one from somewhere else. :)

thumperMom
11-25-2002, 11:27 AM
well, thumper passed away this morning around 8:30. I guess she was getting old and the pregnancy was too much for her to handle. This morning she was shying away from me when i tried to pet her, and i told her to let go, she would not be in pain anymore. and she passed away less than an hour after that. Now we have to tell the kids. anyone have any ideas on how to explain death to a 5 and 7 year old????????????????????????
we are at a loss for words when it comes to this. we still have to take care of buddy, the male bunny. thumper was in a seperate cage when she died, so buddy has not seen her since saturday night. maybe it was better that way, since he didn't have to see her dead. hopefully he will still be responsive to us. he would never let us pet him unless thumper was there. his previous owners just stuck him in a cage and left him, he was just starting to open up to us. hopefully that will continue even after this.
God bless thumper, and let her rest in peace.

~MK~
11-25-2002, 11:34 AM
I'm so sorry. {{{HUGS}}}

I told my kids that ours have gone to play with bunny angels, that she is still in their presence, only they cannot see her. It works for my kids.

justinenycole26
11-25-2002, 02:59 PM
Jaime, why didn't you call me??? How are Tori and Lauren??

blueyez37811
11-25-2002, 03:07 PM
Aww...so sorry to hear about your bunny. :(