PDA

View Full Version : Dog question. Need help NOW please.

sdmay3
11-19-2002, 01:47 PM
We have a one year old cocker spaniel. We adopted him from the humane society so we really have no background info on him. Anyway when I first took him to the vet he was infested with fleas so they gave him a flea bath. He was also groomed there. When I picked them up they said that when they trimmed him there was a patch of skin with no hair and to just keep an eye on it. Well after a few days he began scratching violently. He scratched the patch of skin so badly that it began to bleed. I called the vet and they told me to put antibiotic ointment on it. I thought maybe he had fleas again although I haven't seen any. So I treated him for the fleas. The flea medicine did not help as it was supposed to. So today I gave him a flea bath. Well, as I scrubbed I noticed no fleas but lots of dead flaking skin. Also the patch of skin that was bleeding is hard and somewhat raised. So, is there anything I can do for the dry skin? And should I continue with the antibiotic ointment or should we take him to another vet for another opinion. We need advice quickly. It is so sad to see him scratching like this because we know he has to be in pain. Thanks for any advice!!!!

Also, despite having had a bath he smells so bad. Just a doggy king of smell but it is really strong.

gonzo
11-19-2002, 04:40 PM
It is probably what they call a hot spot. Keep putting the antibiotic ointment on it and no more baths for fleas. The vet should have gotten rid of them with their bath. The flea stuff will dry their skin out and also the more baths they have, the more they smell. Just watch the spot and if it looks infected, call the vet.

sdmay3
11-20-2002, 05:32 AM
This morning the spot looks better. But now he is scooting his bottom all over the floor. He is also still itching like crazy.Is there anything I can use for the dry skin?

justinenycole26
11-20-2002, 07:03 AM
When he was groomed did they squieeze his anal glands? I know it sounds gross, but when my cocker spaniel started scooting his butt across the floor we knew it was time to have it done. Yuck! I can not imagine being a vet!

sdmay3
11-20-2002, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by justinenycole26
When he was groomed did they squieeze his anal glands? I know it sounds gross, but when my cocker spaniel started scooting his butt across the floor we knew it was time to have it done. Yuck! I can not imagine being a vet!

Yes he just had that done 12 days ago. I called the vet this morning and of course she is out today but they are going to see if she wants to see him. They said the flaking skin may be an infection and it sounds like he needs to have that done with his anal glands.

My little boy (almost 2) just crawled into the dogs crate and layed down. He keeps saying over and over again Goodnight. Now If I could just get him to lay in his bed like that.

mesue
11-20-2002, 04:07 PM
For hot spots you can get a product called Sulfodene, it helps a lot, of course the first thing the dog does is lick it off so I always put this on when I can hold them, play with them to keep them from licking it off, it does smell back, reminds me of the smell of fingernail polish remover but it does work, also you might want to talk to your vet about an allergy medicine, I just buy mine an offbrand allergy medicine in liquid form and give her the amount the vet said I could give her of it. Advantage is a product you can buy and put on once a month and it will keep your dog flea free. It sounds like your doggie is like mine she is very allergic to the flea saliva and once they bite her she develops little knots that itches and oozes and she scratches and chews until she gets bald spots. You can buy the sulfodene at K-mart or Walmart in the pet section or probably at your local drugstore in their pet section. For the Advantage flea treatment I've found getting it from my vets office is outrageous and so we called our local farm supply store and got a 4 month supply much cheaper than anywhere else. Good Luck!

MistyWolf
11-20-2002, 05:00 PM
We just got a dog a few months back and recently he has been and still is scratching like mad. I know it isn't fleas cause we have 4 cats who are scratchless. I took him to the vet and he told me that Reilly has allergies and to give him Tavist (over the counter people medicine) to relieve his scratching .. he also said to give him fish oil pills (vitamins) .. The one store only had Tavist Sinus and I didn't get that, but I do give him a fish oil pill/day and he still scratches but not as bad. There is something the vet can give you for allergies (not sure what) but our vet said it is the end of allery season and he didn't want to mess with that to try the Tavist.

You may also want to ask you vet to check for worms if he is scooting his butt .. sometimes that is a sign .. just a heads up!

Good luck and I hope your pooch feels better soon.