PDA

View Full Version : POLL : Do you think there are Titanic ghosts?

Jolie Rouge
11-12-2002, 01:54 PM
Yes, because so many were lost 54%

No, there's no such thing as ghosts 29%

Maybe...it's a spooky story 16%

Total Votes: 771

Jolie Rouge
11-12-2002, 01:58 PM
Last male survivor of Titanic dies

Only 705 of the 2,228 people on board the Titanic survived the sinking
February 2, 2001
Web posted at: 5:39 AM EST (1039 GMT)

PARIS, France -- The last male survivor of the sinking of the Titanic has died in southern France. Michel Navratil, who was just three years old when the Titanic sank after hitting an iceberg in 1912, died in Montpellier on Wednesday aged 92.

Navratil and his two-year-old brother, Edmond, were travelling with their father who was separated from his wife and had taken his sons on the doomed voyage without her permission.

Titanic had been hailed unsinkable, but went down just three hours after hitting an iceberg off the coast of Newfoundland during her maiden voyage from Southampton. "There are only four women left now," Edward Kamuda, the founder of the Titanic Historical Society in Springfield, Massachusetts, said.

Navratil had earlier described what happened when the ship began to sink. "My father entered our cabin where we were sleeping. He dressed me very warmly and took me in his arms. A stranger did the same for my brother. When I think of it now, I am very moved. They knew they were going to die. I don't recall being afraid, I remember the pleasure really, of going plop into the lifeboat." Navratil and his brother were rescued by the Carpathia, the first ship to reach the scene of the sinking after racing through waters filled with icebergs.

His father went down with the Titanic. Of the 2,228 people on board, only 705 survived.

When the boys reached the United States, they were taken in by a woman who met them aboard the ship. Their mother learned of their survival by reading newspaper reports about the boys, nicknamed "The Orphans of the Titanic" because no adult came forward to claim them.

Navratil was one of a few survivors who went on cruise ships to the site where the Titanic sank to watch research vessels try to lift part of the hull to the surface.

http://www.cnn.com/2001/WORLD/europe/france/02/02/titanic.survivor/index.html

Jcowgirl77
11-12-2002, 02:30 PM
Maybe i am silly but i do believe that there are ghosts from the titanic