PDA

View Full Version : Anti-Milk Ad Features David Duke ????

Jolie Rouge
11-12-2002, 08:24 AM
(New Orleans-AP) -- An animal rights group has made David Duke the poster boy for intolerance. A picture of Duke, a former Ku Klux Klan leader, is on a billboard put up by People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals in Shreveport encouraging people not to drink milk.

Sporting the white mustache that has become the trademark for the "Got Milk?" campaign, Duke's picture carries the caption: "Got (lactose) intolerance? The white stuff ain't the right stuff." PETA spokesman Bruce Friedrich says Duke is the perfect milk-industry poster child since he's identified by many as being intolerant. Duke is a former member of the Louisiana House, ran a strong second in a 1990 bid for the U.S. Senate and lost a 1991 runoff for governor to Edwin Edwards.

Friedrich says advertising agencies in New Orleans and Baton Rouge refused to put up the billboard. The Duke billboard in Shreveport, which went up last week, is the only one planned and will be displayed for about a month. Friedrich says PETA paid 24-hundred dollars for the billboard space.

Princess4J
11-12-2002, 09:44 AM
TOO MANY COMMENTS ..............

FOR ONCE I'LL KEEP THEM TO MYSELF.

Widgetsx3
11-12-2002, 09:47 AM
Hmmmmmm...nope, can't say THAT without being banned......

How about.......naaaaaa, that one would get me banned too......

I got it.....nope, that could get me kicked off the internet...

Widget sighs and walks out of thread.

captorquewrench
11-12-2002, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by Widgetsx3

I was going to say the same thing!

schsa
11-12-2002, 10:11 AM
I'd drink milk and never give another penny to PETA (not that I do now) if I saw him advertising for them.

Jolie Rouge
11-12-2002, 11:33 AM
schsa : I'd drink milk and never give another penny to PETA (not that I do now) if I saw him advertising for them.

I have been trying to find a link ...

Any suggestions ?

Originally posted by Widgetsx3 :

DITTO

which is why I posted the article without any editorial comments ....

chort1313
11-12-2002, 11:35 AM
I'd like to read the editorial comments.. url please.

Widgetsx3
11-12-2002, 11:36 AM
Jolie: Is this what you are looking for? http://www.peta-online.org/news/NewsItem.asp?id=1548

Jolie Rouge
11-12-2002, 12:03 PM
Widget : Jolie: Is this what you are looking for? yes, TY, I was wondering what it looked like. hhmmmmm Peta's own site ...(duh!) :) :) :)

chort I'd like to read the editorial comments.. url please.

I am afraid the comments would all be my own -- no url. I refrain from posting anything that is not educational, uplifting, edifying, or at least interesting (to me). At least I try. ;) The only positive thing I can say about Brattney Spears is that she is slightly less embarressing to her 'home' state than Duke ... :rolleyes: Just thought this showed Duke in his true "anything for a buck-anything for attention" light and PETA isn't much better :
24-hundred dollars for the billboard space. which does not include the fees paid to Duke or cost to produce/publish the ad campain. What a waste of money !

chort1313
11-12-2002, 01:26 PM
I was checking out the peta link posted and I clicked the next page and got this:
PETA’S "REALITY TV TRUCK" TO SHOW ELEPHANT BEATINGS IN ST. LOUIS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Graphic Video Reveals What Ringling Wants to Hide

For Immediate Release:
November 11, 2002

William Rivas-Rivas 757-622-7382

St. Louis — PETA will wheel out giant TV screens to show a graphic video of circus trainers viciously beating elephants with steel-tipped bullhooks in downtown St. Louis in protest over the arrival of the cruel Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus:

Date: Tuesday, November 12
Time: 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
Place: Central Avenue, between Forsyth Boulevard and Carondelet AvenueMissed this on my lunch break.

The PETA video is a collection of shocking animal beatings by major circuses, including Ringling, which regularly tells the media that its animals are well treated. Ringling is a chronic violator of the federal Animal Welfare Act and has an abysmal history of deaths of animals in its care, particularly in a recent two-year period:

* Two baby elephants died at Ringling, one who was forced to perform despite being visibly ill—costing the circus nearly $20,000 in a settlement with the USDA—and another who drowned while being chased by a trainer.
* A horse, known to be suffering from a chronic condition, collapsed and died during Ringling’s animal march in Norfolk, Va.
* A tiger was shot dead while locked in his cage by a Ringling trainer.
* A sea lion was discovered dead in her small transport cage.

There are currently two USDA investigations of Ringling under way.

"Our Reality TV truck video takes people behind the big top to see what these elephants go through when they are forced to perform silly tricks," says PETA Director of Captive Exotic Animals Debbie Leahy. "We believe that once parents and kids see the horror for themselves, they’ll stick up for these tormented animals and stop buying tickets."

For more information and to view the footage, please visit Circuses.com. Broadcast-quality footage of cruelty to animals in circuses is available.

jaybird
11-12-2002, 01:34 PM
I just don't seem to have anything to say.

:mad:

And that's a miracle.

WHAT the L is PETA thinking?

Oops, wasn't going to say anything. :D

I didn't even know what was going on here today!