PDA

View Full Version : Help my dog is sick does anyone know how much pepto bismol

mesue
11-08-2002, 08:03 PM
How much pepto bismol can I give a 12 lb. dog, he has the dry heaves having thrown up all his food and isn't drinking any water. He is still up walking around if he thinks I am going outside otherwise he is crashed and looks really bad. I am going to take him to the vet in the morning he has had his shots and has been acting healthy and active up until yesterday when he started vomiting since he did this a lot when we first got him I just figured it was where I had been away from him and he was upset but now he is still vomiting and looking weak. I found websites that said I could give him pepto bismol but didn't tell how much, anyone know? Help!

trufflez
11-08-2002, 08:10 PM
From Prevention Magazines The Doctors Book of Home Remedies for Dogs and Cats it says "One teaspoon for every 20 pounds of dog. Every 4-6 hours" Hope this helps!

mesue
11-08-2002, 08:23 PM
Thanks so much I gave him a teaspoon knowing that I would be lucky to get half of it down him and sure enough he didn't cooperate at all, he is a little white maltese and currently is sporting a pink mouth but hopefully this will help. Thanks again for the info it was exactly what I needed to know. will let you know how he is doing.

trufflez
11-08-2002, 09:26 PM
Yeah, let me know if it works! I haven't tried it. I have two ankle biters, too. I give one of them Benadryl daily for his allergies.

Gia
11-09-2002, 09:30 AM
{{mesue}} Just wondering if your doggy was better hon? :o :)

chort1313
11-09-2002, 09:32 AM
Is he better? From this site Pepto is not recommended, but I have used Gas-X and Immodium AD on Max the IMM. wasn't recommended--but it did the trick. .Poor doggy!http://www.clipper.net/~encore/homemed.htm

~MK~
11-09-2002, 10:57 AM
It's too harsh on their systems. I have used Maalox and it works! 1/4 tsp. per 10 lbs. of weight. If it's 12 lbs, I would go with just a 1/4 tsp. This is your choice though.

Take up the water and food until he stops throwing up. Just give ice cubes to lick.

erniemarie
11-09-2002, 11:22 AM
when my moms little 10 pound poodle was sick the vet told us to mix 1 easpoon pepto with 1 teaspoon water and put it in a baby medicine dropper and give it to him, if you use the medicine dropper you can stick it in the back of their mouth and then they get it all

Jcowgirl77
11-09-2002, 02:02 PM
if you have any amocillion or penicillion in your house put in in a piece of lunch meat or chesse roll it up and dive it to him that will work our vet had told us that ihope this helps

mesue
11-09-2002, 05:01 PM
Thanks everyone he is still sick but seems to be doing a little better.(actually tried to eat earlier) I have been giving him the pepto bismol but will purchase some of the other stuff asap, live in the boonies going to town is a trip for me.LOL I looked up the homemade pedialyte recipe and mixed some up and have been giving it to him. I noticed he has been trying to eat so I took the food away for the time being. He left me the worst smelling gift in our spare room and of course missed the puppy pad, but after that he has been walking around a little more and more alert. I'm still having to force the pedialyte but He seems to be on the mend. I was going to take him to the vet this morning but unfortunately they no longer stay open on Saturday but was planning on taking him in for emergency visit if he didn't improve, but he seems to be doing better now.