PDA

View Full Version : Lasher I got a question

mesue
11-01-2002, 04:09 PM
I am technically challenged but someone told me there is a way to take one phone line and make it into a connection that is capable of gettting calls through while online or basically split one line into the capability of two lines. I found this website http://www.nref.com/phone/ scroll down halfway to where it says telephone wiring and see if this is describing how to do what I have been told is possible. Whether you realize it or not I guess you have become the guru for those of us that are technically challenged, I hope you don't mind, Thanks, Mesue

nanajoanie
11-01-2002, 05:22 PM
I think another one is callwave.com - sorry, don't have the website. They now charge $1 a month. It is like an answering maching but you hear it on your computer.

mewoman
11-01-2002, 06:27 PM
I don't know if you want to be able to stay on the internet while you talk, but if you're not worried about staying on, just missing important calls, there is another option.
I bought this caller ID box that actually talks to you and tells you the number that is calling. Also, it gives you the option of answering the call, or having a recording go to the caller that your busy now and will call back later.
You have to have call waiting and caller ID on your phone line to use it though.
I finally got over dealing with phone modem and went to a cable modem, though. I still use the caller ID box because I don't have to run to phone to find out who's calling me....lol. (talk about lazy....)

Ghetto_Gurl
11-01-2002, 10:55 PM
bumping so lasher can see this

Lasher
11-01-2002, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by mesue
I am technically challenged but someone told me there is a way to take one phone line and make it into a connection that is capable of gettting calls through while online or basically split one line into the capability of two lines. I found this website http://www.nref.com/phone/ scroll down halfway to where it says telephone wiring and see if this is describing how to do what I have been told is possible. Whether you realize it or not I guess you have become the guru for those of us that are technically challenged, I hope you don't mind, Thanks, Mesue

yes it is possible, but it is also illegal, lol. You are supposed to pay the phone company to come out and install a second line. It is a felony, so I am thinking you would probably be better off getting an internet answering machine that lets you know you have a call, and you can decide wether or not to get off and answer it.

These are some shareware/free programs available.

http://downloads-zdnet.com.com/3000-2064-10141599.html?tag=lst-0-5

http://downloads-zdnet.com.com/3000-2349-906721.html?tag=lst-0-13

http://downloads-zdnet.com.com/3000-2349-8490381.html?tag=lst-0-14

mesue
11-02-2002, 01:17 AM
So Lasher how is it a felony I'm already paying for the four wires that I'm thinking of splitting, I'm not going to add anything I'm just going to connect them in a new and improved manner LOL. Did you read how the guy on the website said to do it? He works for the phone company. I'm just going to rewire the wires in my house not the ones at the pole, can't climb and I'm afraid of heights.

Lasher
11-02-2002, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by mesue
So Lasher how is it a felony I'm already paying for the four wires that I'm thinking of splitting, I'm not going to add anything I'm just going to connect them in a new and improved manner LOL. Did you read how the guy on the website said to do it? He works for the phone company. I'm just going to rewire the wires in my house not the ones at the pole, can't climb and I'm afraid of heights.

The new and improved manner is what is illegal, basically you will be getting two lines, and be paying for one. The phone company charges for the additional line, and they are a tad more strick than the cable companies are about splitting off lines. If you want to do it it is up to you.

And no actually I just now looked at the site, and it doesn't show you how to do it, more is involved than just splitting the wires.

mesue
11-02-2002, 01:48 AM
Thanks Lasher heights and jail are a few things I'm afraid of thats why I missed out on a perfectly good career as a cat burglar. Besides I don't think I really want to tell anyone when they ask, What are you in for, that I got caught splitting phone lines for an extra line. Actually in that kind of situation I would lie and say for killing the last guy that ask me that. LOL

ajksmom
11-02-2002, 06:55 PM
Have you given thought to that new switchboard thing? I think it's called Emerson Switchboard?

Okay just found this info for ya:
Emerson Switchboard

Get that call! Get that fax! While you're online! ...With just ONE phone line! AS SEEN ON TV! Now you can get a quick phone call or fax while you’re online on your computer…all from just one single phone line. The revolutionary Emerson Switchboard TM temporarily splits your phone signal into three separate lines. There’s no software needed and no installation…works automatically. No more busy signals, missed calls, or getting kicked offline! Perfect for the home office computer, kids’ room computer, college dorm…anywhere you have a computer!

No more busy signals, missed calls, or getting kicked offline!
Get a quick phone call or fax while you're online.*
Works with ANY computer, internet service or phone line.
Won't affect modem speed.
Caller ID compatible.
Instant connections for phone line, computer, fax and telephone…no software needed, no installation required.
No extra phone jacks or wiring needed.

Rings and flashes with an incoming call. Simply answer the phone…while you are online.

The Emerson Switchboard temporarily splits your phone signal into three separate lines…Computer, Phone, Fax. There's no software needed and no installation…works automatically.

*Length of time you can stay connected online while taking a call varies with each ISP carrier from 20-30 seconds. Requires call waiting.

AC ADAPTER INCLUDED !!!

Reg: US$ 49.95

http://www.tvproducts2000.net/examples/elemsb-12.jpg

NIGHTOWL4
11-02-2002, 07:34 PM
Did I read that right? 20 to 30 "seconds?"

That would really cut down on talk time!!! LOL!!!