PDA

View Full Version : My Fanerf Died

sunnydazed
10-28-2002, 02:06 PM
My sweet little ferret passed away yesterday unexpectedly. I had taken him to the vet in Ballard, WA on Thursday, and she said she could tell he wasn't feeling well and gave me 3 different meds to give him. I also had to hand feed him. He seemed to feel a bit better until last night he began labored breathing and then shortly pass away. As I lifted him up to hold him, he gave a little ferret sigh. I had to keep him in my arms for a bit cradled like a baby. I couldn't believe that this little guy who brought us so much laughter and with his shenanigans and comical personality had slipped away so quickly. I put him in a box with lavender blossoms from our garden and my husband buried him by the front window of our bedroom. I can look out and know that he is right there, and that is comforting. We don't have children, so we become very attached to our little critters. I can't believe he won't be home waiting impatiently for me to take him out of his cage so he can do his little hissing ferret warrior dance and beg us to chase him around the room. Feels better to write this. I am stuck at work and afraid to show too much emotion in front of my co-workers. He will live on in my memory.

Widgetsx3
10-28-2002, 02:14 PM
{{{{{Sunnydazed}}}}} It is amazing how attached we become to our furry kids. So sorry about your beloved friend. I lost my Woody years ago, and still think of him fondly. His goofy little chirp and hop-skip dance he would do. He used to travel with me in my tool bag, and loved to play in the wood shavings. He will always have a place in my heart.

sunnydazed
10-28-2002, 02:32 PM
They bring us so much happiness, but live such short lives. Your little guy sounds like he was so cute. I bet you miss your 'work-buddy'.

Widgetsx3
10-28-2002, 02:37 PM
I do, I was never able to get another ferret for many reasons, but he was so much fun. I just didn't realize how short their life span was. Woody was just 5.

chort1313
10-28-2002, 02:53 PM
((((sunnydazed))))....

sunnydazed
10-28-2002, 02:57 PM
Mine was about six. I thought they lived a little longer. I was told 7-12 years, the latter is if they are out in the wild. I just looked this up, and found that it is more like 5-7 for the domesticated ferret. That makes me feel a bit better, because mine was six. He just seemed to have so much life left, even as he was older. I would have loved to have had him for another year. If I would have known how quickly I was going to lose him, I would have cherished him even more. But I will now cherish the memories. My husband suffered allergies, but we still kept the little guy. He has an older brother who will now be lonely without his cuddle buddy.

Hillbilly
10-28-2002, 03:45 PM
I'm so sorry about your little Fanerf.I know how much it hurts to lose a pet.:(

sunnydazed
10-28-2002, 03:50 PM
Thankyou! I appreciate all of the well-wishes. It has helped me get through this day. Ferrets are the most awesome pets. But be prepared to pay the big money when it comes to the vet bills. We just spent over six hundred dollars on our first ferret. And with little 'Nerfy, we spent over two hundred in three weeks. This doesn't include regular vet visits. Just sudden illness. Things that I didn't think about when I was looking at the little tank at the pet shop with these cute weasel guys rolling around or napping.

Tigerseye0420
10-28-2002, 05:21 PM
(((((sunny))))) im sorry you lost your ferret! It really hurts to lose pets as they are really Family members!

sunnydazed
10-29-2002, 10:18 AM
He really was part of our family. The closest we have come to a child of our own! Aren't you ready to have your first baby really soon? I remember when you were so excited when you first found you were pregnant!