PDA

View Full Version : Need opinions and experience with ear thermometers

missymommy
10-25-2002, 10:25 AM
Ok, I have been reading reviews and looking at all different kinds.
From what I see there aren't any that ppl think are acurate.

What have you found. I had a braun and it was horible. It gave me different temps everytime I took them. Would say my childs temp was under normal when they were running a fever.

I need a new one. My lil girl won't sit still for the underarm, or rectal. I am afraid I might hurt her if I try to do the rectal again. She is such a fighter, can't take a temp, can't get meds in her without her fighting so hard she gags and throws up when she is done.

I see that vicks has a new one, anyone have it and what was your experience with it?

What about the new instant forehead ones. They cost alot more, but
I need one that works. They won't think about giving Sara a shot of antibotic until they know her temp and they can't get it either.

ksjayhawkfan
10-25-2002, 10:34 AM
Mine is a Thermoscan Instant. Its about 6 years old and it still works like a dream. Ive never had any trouble with it and it takes a pretty acurate temp. I know at my hubbys office they use the forehead ones and at our family docs they do too but I dont have any idea what brand it is. Good luck:)

newwiccan
10-25-2002, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by ksjayhawkfan
Mine is a Thermoscan Instant. Its about 6 years old and it still works like a dream. Ive never had any trouble with it and it takes a pretty acurate temp. I know at my hubbys office they use the forehead ones and at our family docs they do too but I dont have any idea what brand it is. Good luck:)

I have the Thermoscan too and I really like it. Well other than, it's in Celsius because we bought it when we lived in Germany.:rolleyes: I've had mine about 4 years and have had no problems.

Angelbabym
10-25-2002, 10:42 AM
dont bash me or anything but i heard from several places Hospital especially) like 2 years ago that those ear thermomators arent accurate, and not to use them but thats all i heard so i'm leavin:D

missymommy
10-25-2002, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Angelbabym
dont bash me or anything but i heard from several places Hospital especially) like 2 years ago that those ear thermomators arent accurate, and not to use them but thats all i heard so i'm leavin:D

That is what I am seeing when I am looking through the reviews. But I know there has to be one that is good enough so that I can get a safe reading that is fairly close to what her temp is.

Thanks for giving your opinion, thats what I am looking for. :D

Ok I found a thermoscan at Walmart for $38.78 I am gonna go for that soon if no one has tried the vicks ones yet. They are pretty new.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?cat=77936&dept=2637&product_id=1472&path=0%3A2637%3A77936

newwiccan
10-25-2002, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by Angelbabym

All the doctors here still use them.:confused:

Now where are those Cheetos Angelbabym ????;)

ksjayhawkfan
10-25-2002, 11:17 AM
Weird, our drs office JUST went to the forehead ones about a month ago. And I know the ER here still used the ear ones lol. Oh well I like mine and theres no way Im going back to a regular thermometer:D Im gonna have to do some asking about that:)

tiffany21
10-25-2002, 12:06 PM
I use the ear one also workes grat:D

MollysLips
10-25-2002, 01:26 PM
I also have a Braun and I LOVE it!!! I cant imagine going back trying to use any other kind on wiggly kids- the forehead one seems really neat too though, anyone ever used one of those?

denisemm
10-25-2002, 01:51 PM
I have a thermoscan (sp?) as well, and I've never had a problem. I would love to have one of those forehead ones if they weren't so pricey.

Lilpetie
10-25-2002, 02:32 PM
well being a nurse and working with geriatrics I have never liked the ear probe. It has never been accurate. You really have to get a good seal. We used to use oral ones called IVAC that worked on the same fast principle. It was a metal probe with plastic sleeves. It worked great and was usually accurate. Even had a way to test for accuracy. But I dont see too many of them on the market except for a medical supply. You can even use underarm. It takes about as long as the ear probe to get a reading. If your daughter doesnt like oral or rectal I suggest under the arm but be sure to add a degree.