PDA

View Full Version : Breaking News

Widgetsx3
10-10-2002, 03:05 PM
Ballistics evidence ties Wednesday's fatal shooting in Virginia to earlier sniper attacks.
Watch CNN or log on to http://CNN.com

There is no more info yet, but this guy has struck again! Are there BBS'rs up in that area? if so, please take care.

moocher
10-10-2002, 03:20 PM
This is just crazy!!

voliver6
10-10-2002, 03:24 PM
Seems to be getting very close to my area. Even some of the schools here are taking precautions. Extremely scary. Anyone else here in Northern Va?

miccit
10-10-2002, 03:28 PM
I can't believe it has gone on this long! My husband's uncle was killed by a sniper in the 60's. It was some racist white guy out to get blacks. Then, for good measure he shot a white politician who was trying to desegregate the schools. Luckily, they caught him pretty quickly (of course after he had killed 5 people).

I really hope they catch this person soon. This is so very sad.

Widgetsx3
10-10-2002, 03:32 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2002/US/South/10/10/shootings.probe/index.html

MANASSAS, Virginia (CNN) -- Ballistic tests connect the fatal shooting of a man at a gas station just south of the nation's capital to the eight other sniper attacks in the area, officials said Thursday.

The victim of Wednesday night's shooting in was identified as Dean Harold Meyers, 53, of Gaithersburg, Maryland. Authorities said he was shot once in the head. All the sniper victims so far have been hit with a single shot.

He was slain about 8:15 p.m. ET after he had finished pumping gas. Surveillance video showed him slumped between a gas pump and his car.

Prince William County, Virginia, Police Chief Charlie Dean said authorities were analyzing evidence gathered at the scene and during the autopsy. He said there were witnesses to the shooting and they had given "valuable information."

Meanwhile, a source said Thursday that a Tarot card found near the scene of Monday's shooting of a 13-year-old boy in Bowie, Maryland, contained a message telling authorities not to reveal the existence of the card or what was written on it.

White minivan seen leaving scene of shooting
Police investigating the Manassas shooting were looking for a white minivan, described as a panel vehicle with only front passenger windows. A witness told police the van looks like a Dodge Caravan. The vehicle was seen leaving the immediate area, police said.

Authorities backed away from an initial state police report that two white males were seen in a white van near the scene.

At one of the earlier sniper shootings, a witness reported seeing a white, boxy van speed away from the scene. Police were continuing to look for that vehicle.

Police were also looking for an "Asian male" driving a black Honda who was pumping gas near the time of the shooting. Prince William County police spokeswoman Sgt. Kim Chinn called him a witness and made a public appeal for him to contact police.

Chinn asked witnesses to the shooting to call police at (703) 792-6500 or Crime Solvers at (800) 673-2777.

The Montgomery County, Maryland, Police Department, which is leading the sniper investigation, sent a team of investigators to the scene.

Manassas is a suburb of about 35,000 people, southwest of the nation's capital.

Source: Tarot card contained additional message
Law enforcement sources said Wednesday investigators had found new evidence near the middle school where the boy was shot Monday, including a shell casing and a Tarot card inscribed with the message, "Dear Policeman: I am God."

A source Thursday described the additional words written on the card and said authorities had planned to comply with the message and keep the Tarot card secret in order to build rapport and possibly begin a dialogue with the person who dropped the card. (More on Tarot cards)

That could explain why Montgomery County, Maryland Police Chief Charles Moose was angry that the information about the card was leaked to the media.

"It is inappropriate to comment on this card," Moose said Wednesday. "There are a lot of things that have the potential to hurt the investigation."

The evidence was taken to an FBI lab for fingerprint and DNA tests as well as analyses of the handwriting, spelling and the card's origins. Authorities said the shell was from the same type of rifle, a .223 caliber weapon, linked with the other shootings. (Tracing the bullets)

The card was the one depicting death in the fortune-telling deck. The death card, which often shows a skeletal figure on a horse, represents endings, transitions, eliminations and the experiencing of inexorable forces.

Authorities said the card could have been left by a prankster.

Moose also criticized statements from retired law enforcement personnel who are news analysts for TV networks and stations. Moose said it was insulting to hear commentary from "talking heads" who have not been briefed, seen evidence or talked to investigators. (Moose profile)

A week of killings
Wednesday night's killing in Virginia came exactly one week after the first shooting was reported in Montgomery County.

Five people were killed in Montgomery County during a 16-hour period from October 2 into the next morning. A sixth victim was shot dead the night of October 3 on a Washington street.

Two of the Maryland victims were killed at gas stations.

A woman was wounded Friday in Fredericksburg, Virginia. She was released from a hospital Tuesday.

The shooting at the middle school on Monday was the most recent shooting that has been conclusively linked to the sniper. The boy remains in critical but stable condition at a Washington hospital.

Forensics evidence, including ballistics tests on the bullets, have linked the eight shootings. Authorities said each victim was hit once with a .223-caliber bullet fired from a rifle from a relatively long distance.

Investigators were sifting through 1,700 tips and leads deemed credible.

Authorities said they hope a growing reward fund may help persuade anyone who knows anything about the killings to come forward.

The reward is now nearly $305,000 for information leading to the arrest and indictment of the person responsible for the killings. The fund includes $100,000 from the state of Maryland, $50,000 from Montgomery County and $10,000 from a victims' rights foundation. Donations to the fund have come in from 20 states.

There are clickable links at the story that shows locations of the shootings, and profiles of the victims.

belcherpi
10-10-2002, 03:47 PM
voliver6...
I am in Northern VA also. My hubby is stationed in Quantico. All these shootings are gettin a little too close for comfort. To the north and south of us. We have no intention of leaving base any time soon. I also noticed you are a Wildcat fan. Hubby and I are originally from KY. He is a HUGE Wildcat fan. Take care and keep alert.

voliver6
10-11-2002, 04:37 AM
Belcherpi,

I am still reeling from the one in Manassas, so I can't even imagine how you feel. Hope they're caught soon--stay alert!

Hugs to you and yours

PS GO WILDCATS! (It's about that time again, lol!)

nosamiam
10-11-2002, 07:19 AM
{{{{{voliver6}}}}}

belcherpi
10-11-2002, 07:31 AM
:( Well there's been another shooting in Fredricksburg VA. This is getting scary. The vehicle went north on Rt. 1 which goes right by my house. I have heard 3 police cars going by since they started airing this on tv. I guess my kids won't be allowed outside to play for awhile.:(

The Angel
10-11-2002, 07:42 AM
And it seems ot be continueing. Over here in the UK this is a big story too, simply because it's so pointless. Families having to arrange funerals and will be without people in their lives for no reason whatsoever.

A real tragedy.

belcherpi
10-11-2002, 08:01 AM
:( No this is a new one in Spotsylvania Co. VA. It happened about 9:45 this morning.:(

The Angel
10-11-2002, 08:18 AM
And apparently another person has been confirmed as having died:(

Yellow_Rose
10-11-2002, 08:34 AM
:( :mad: :( :mad: :( :mad: :( :mad: :( :mad:

Angel~Chihuahua
10-11-2002, 08:41 AM
seems like they have someone in custody too. you can read more about it at yahoo news.

WOODBRIDGE, Va. (AP) - A man was shot and seriously wounded at a gas station Friday, and police searching for a sniper closed down a nearby interstate after reports that a white van had been seen in the area at the time.

It wasn't immediately clear if the shooting near Fredericksburg was linked to nine other attacks that have left seven people dead in the Washington area.

Spotsylvania County Sheriff Ronald Knight said authorities had pulled over several white vans on Interstate 95 after the 9:30 a.m. shooting and had reports of a white van bumping other vehicles, apparently trying to get out of the area.

Authorities had one van surrounded near Alexandria, about 40 miles away.

"We're being very cautious at this time," Alexandria police Lt. John Crawford said. He said police had stopped a "white panel truck" and were waiting for help from Fairfax County police before approaching it.

A white van or box truck had also been spotted near the scenes of two other shootings linked to the sniper. One van was pulled over shortly after a fatal shooting Wednesday night in Manassas, but the occupants had a reasonable explanation for being in the area, Prince William County Police Chief Charlie Deane said.

The Angel
10-11-2002, 08:56 AM
Well yes, The tv news here in the UK are saying they have the guy. he has been surrounded in his white van, I cant remember the highway number. But it seems this may be an end to it.

The Angel
10-11-2002, 09:04 AM
The news here saying that the police have the van fully surrounded with the guy inside and are still waiting for back up before approaching him.

nooshu
10-11-2002, 09:16 AM
Argh!! I can't take much more of this. My son went to DC on a field trip(it was too late to cancel)at the beginning of the week and they are staying in Alexandria. I just can't wait to have him back home(late tonight)
May they catch this loser!!:(

nooshu
10-11-2002, 10:04 AM
Thanks~ReneeSisk. It sure has been a long week. I basically have MSNBC or CNN on 24 hours a day, I just hope they won't have a problem getting out of there(and I pray they don't need gas:rolleyes: )
I am just so sad for all of the poor people affected by this idiot(to put it mildly as to not get banned)
We have enough hate with the terrorists that aren't American, to think this is probably an American.:(

Widgetsx3
10-11-2002, 10:10 AM
All of you in the area of the shootings, please take extra care of yourselves. This is just crazy....there honestly are few words that I can use on this forum to describe how I am feeling about this.

shell76
10-11-2002, 11:13 AM
They released the van in Alexandria, it wasn't related to the shootings.....

voliver6
10-11-2002, 12:51 PM
I Thought these were interesting.

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,362637,00.html

http://www.cnn.com/2002/US/South/10/09/shooting.victims/index.html

http://www.cnn.com/interactive/us/0210/map.sniper.trail/frameset.exclude.html