PDA

View Full Version : Hey, Just how old are you?

angelinwaiting
10-09-2002, 10:27 AM
HEY, JUST HOW OLD ARE YOU?
>
>My Dad was cleaning out my grandmother's house and he brought me an old
>Royal Crown Cola bottle. In the bottle top was a stopper with a bunch of

>holes in it. I knew immediately what it was, but my daughter had no
>idea. She thought they had tried to make it a salt shaker or something.
>I knew it as the bottle that sat on the end of the ironing board to
>"sprinkle" clothes with because we didn't have steam irons.
>
>Man, I am old.
>************************************************** ********
>
>How Many Do You Remember??
>
>Head lights dimmer switches on the floor
>Ignition switches on the dashboard
>Heaters mounted on the inside of the fire wall
>Real ice boxes [Ask your Mom about that]
>Pant leg clips for bicycles without chain guards.
>Soldering irons you heat on a gas burner
>Using hand signals for cars without turn signals.
>*******************************************
>Older Than Dirt Quiz
>
>Count all the ones that you remember-not the ones you were told about!
>Ratings at the bottom.

>1. Blackjack chewing gum
>2. Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water
>3. Candy cigarettes
>4. Soda pop machines that dispensed bottle
>5. Coffee shops with tableside jukeboxes
>6. Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers
>7. Party lines
>8. Newsreels before the movie
>9. P. F. Flyers
>10. Butch wax
>11. Telephone numbers with a word prefix (Olive - 6933)
>12. Peashooters
>13. Howdy Doody
>14. 45 RPM records
>15. S&H Green Stamps
>16. Hi-fi's
>17. Metal ice trays with lever
>18. Mimeograph paper
>19. Blue flashbulb
>20. Packard's
>21. Roller skate keys
>22. Cork popguns
>23. Drive-ins
>24. Studebaker's
>25. Wash tub wringers
>26. Hudson's
>
>If you remembered
>0- 05 =3D You're still young
>6-10 =3D You are getting older
>11-15 =3D Don't tell your age,
>16-25 =3D You're older than dirt!
>
>Don't forget to pass this along!!
>Especially to all your really OLD friends.
>

I knew 13 of them above and I am only 33 years old....I have heard about all of them though
:o :eek:

Widgetsx3
10-09-2002, 10:38 AM
Widget just hangs her head, trudges out of thread mumbling old old old old old old old.....

kelblend
10-09-2002, 10:42 AM
Okay i'm not older than dirt butttt....

Head lights dimmer switches on the floor
>Ignition switches on the dashboard
>Heaters mounted on the inside of the fire wall
>Real ice boxes [Ask your Mom about that]
>Pant leg clips for bicycles without chain guards.
>Soldering irons you heat on a gas burner
>Using hand signals for cars without turn signals.

I remember the first one here because I had an older than dirt car when I was a teenager--65 or 68 Pontiac Tempest--this was in 86. It had a manual choke people and I had to use hand signals when the turn signals went kaplooie lololol oh man it had baby moon hubcaps lol--which i didn't appreciate at all lol--but it got us where we wanted and you could actually WORK ON the older cars.

kelblend
10-09-2002, 10:43 AM
Dang I scored 12 of the numbered ones and am only 34.:D didn't love the little wax bottles with the sugar water???

socks1211
10-09-2002, 12:11 PM
I KNEW 13 AND I AM ONLY 29

mimi37
10-09-2002, 12:16 PM
I got 15 and I am 38 years old.

flute
10-09-2002, 12:32 PM
0- 05 =3D You're still young

:D:D:D:D:D

unicorn9149
10-09-2002, 12:46 PM
Yep, I'm older than dirt, if dirt is 52
knew 25

The dimmer switch on the floor made me laugh. When my bro got his first car, he had never driven at night. We were going over to a friends so he could show off his car. When an oncoming car came, Rick stuck his head down to the floor to find the switch. Dad grabbed the wheel just in time. Needless to say after that he always kept his foot next to the switch.

Myself
10-09-2002, 12:47 PM
Guess I am older than dirt. I remember all of them and more. LOL Remember I could see a movie, two newsreels and a cartoon for a nickel. Penny candy was a handful for a penny. Had a peashooter, 33, 45 and mom's 78 records and thought Howdy Doody was a riot when we finally got our TV! The wife still has her ironing bottle, wash board, several flash bulbs, real glass milk bottles that were hand delivered, two metal ice trays with lever and a few of the other items mentioned. :) Also remember some great times at the drive in! :eek:

?How many of you remember when the TV would go off the air at night? Or having to get up to change the channel to one of four different stations? Or not having a TV at all and when you finally got that Black and White, what a thrill it was? :) Could go on and on and on, but you get the picture.

unicorn9149
10-09-2002, 01:04 PM
I would get up early, turn on the tv and just watch the test pattern. The first thing I remember watching on tv was a show with Andy Devine and he was shrunk down and drove a toy car. Nobody else seems to remember this.

angelinwaiting
10-09-2002, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Myself
Guess I am older than dirt. I remember all of them and more. LOL Remember I could see a movie, two newsreels and a cartoon for a nickel. Penny candy was a handful for a penny. Had a peashooter, 33, 45 and mom's 78 records and thought Howdy Doody was a riot when we finally got our TV! The wife still has her ironing bottle, wash board, several flash bulbs, real glass milk bottles that were hand delivered, two metal ice trays with lever and a few of the other items mentioned. :) Also remember some great times at the drive in! :eek:

?How many of you remember when the TV would go off the air at night? Or having to get up to change the channel to one of four different stations? Or not having a TV at all and when you finally got that Black and White, what a thrill it was? :) Could go on and on and on, but you get the picture.

We have several glass milk bottles and also glass clorox bottles in all sizes....I also still use one of the metal ice trays with the lever that you have to put under the water just to get the ice out..(My son hates that ice tray:p )

I remember the TV going off the air at night and having 3 or 4 channels to choose from and if the president was on, you were doomed...I also remember having to go outside to turn the antenna and somebody inside would yell, "That's good, leave it right there!";)

I remember the outhouse and the slop buckets...:eek: I hated using the toilet at night...:eek:

My Dad used to tell me about the rolling stores...These were trucks that would go down the road and you would go out there to it to get your supplies instead of going to town to the store...I thought that was so cool:p

We used to have a wringer washer too and when it would spin out, it would shake the whole house...My Mom was very happy when we got our 1st washing machine but we never had a dryer...My mom would always hang out our clothes and I do too now...I have a dryer, but I would much rather hang out my clothes and I rarely use my dryer:p

kelblend
10-09-2002, 01:18 PM
OH man the days of no remote--how primitive we were!! lmao:D

MySonNick1
10-09-2002, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by kelblend
didn't love the little wax bottles with the sugar water???

They still sell these. I love them. BTW....I'm 22.

annie169
10-09-2002, 04:14 PM
OK, I'm old enough to know better and young enough not to care!! (Oh, alright, I scored older than dirt. I think it's cause my dad was too cheap to buy new stuff!! We had a Studebaker, My mom STILL has the metal ice cube trays (she keeps them as a joke now!), I had a pant clip for my bike cause the "chain guard" was a joke on the bike. Hm......(I'm 33)