PDA

View Full Version : Do you have fire ants where you live?

angelinwaiting
09-29-2002, 12:29 PM
If so, how do you get rid of these things? We have tried gas, and fire ant poison and we even tried rice and grits, but they just move their antbed and come back...Those tiny things hurt when they bite ya and I would like a sure fire way to destroy them;)

Jolie Rouge
09-29-2002, 12:35 PM
and I would like a sure fire way to destroy them

If you find one let me know - the fire ant poison is mainly "Fire Ant Mover", they move a few feet and re-establish. I find that a twice a month spying of the yard with Dioznyn (SP?) is good for controling them. I mainly keep them out of the kids yard - if they build in the back forty or on the side yard, I am willing to "Live & Let Live"

Sorry :(

PS - How did you pass the Storm ??

angelinwaiting
09-29-2002, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by Jolie Rouge

If you find one let me know - the fire ant poison is mainly "Fire Ant Mover", they move a few feet and re-establish. I find that a twice a month spying of the yard with Dioznyn (SP?) is good for controling them. I mainly keep them out of the kids yard - if they build in the back forty or on the side yard, I am willing to "Live & Let Live"

Sorry :(

PS - How did you pass the Storm ??

We got through Isadore pretty lucky...no tornadoes in my immediate area...just lots and lots of rain and wind....I think we got 8 inches of rain in those 2 days but other than that, I was happy there was no serious weather....Now we wait and see what our girl Lili is gonna do...:rolleyes:

gonzo
09-29-2002, 12:50 PM
We used this stuff called Seven. I took a straw and pour some directly down the hole and then poured more on top. We still have a few but the ones in those died. Just be careful if you have kids.

ksjayhawkfan
09-29-2002, 01:58 PM
Well we just got rid of a huge hill and it took all summer. We used the fire ant poison. We put it around the hill and waited a week then did it again and again until they were all dead. We havent seen an ant for about 2 months now:D

Tasha405
09-29-2002, 02:32 PM
I don't have fire ants but I do get the little black ants in my house every summer. They try to take over. I tried several different thing and nothing seemed to work until I bought some spray stuff at Wal-Mart. Its called ORTHO Home Defense Indoor & Outdoor Insect Killer. Its ready to use, odor free, non-staining and kills on contact! For ants: apply directly to ants and ant trails. This stuff is really good. I think I paid like $7 for it.

Angelseyes28
09-29-2002, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Tasha405
Its called ORTHO Home Defense Indoor & Outdoor Insect Killer. Its ready to use, odor free, non-staining and kills on contact! For ants: apply directly to ants and ant trails. This stuff is really good. I think I paid like $7 for it.

OOH OOH I use that stuff too!! It comes in a gallon size bottle i think. I spray all along the floor at the wall, the corners from floor to ceiling and along the wall at the ceiling...and of course around windows. It says it is suppose to last like 6-8 weeks but I don't see ants for over 6 months! Now if ortho could only come up with something good for fireants:(

KellyA
09-29-2002, 03:26 PM
just had to come in here and say hi {{{{angelinwaiting}}}} :) :D :) :D

angelinwaiting
09-29-2002, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by KellyA
just had to come in here and say hi {{{{angelinwaiting}}}} :) :D :) :D

{{{{{{{kelly}}}}}}}}I love you girl....will try to take time out to email ya tonight
;)

Thanks {{{{{everyone}}}}}}for the ideas...will have to see if they work on these darn pesky fire ants:p

nanajoanie
09-29-2002, 07:00 PM
Don't have fireants here but we used to live in Starkville, MS. Our yard had the mounds everywhere. Hubby finally went out with a sledge hammer and smashed the mounds to bits. Then we sprayed with Seven and Diazinon. Seemed to work for us. Wished we had thought of it earlier in the season. They hurt so bad and leave a white pimple/blister that you can't pop. At least with bee or yellow jacket stings you can dab on Mylanta and the sting goes away instantly...

tina z
09-29-2002, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by nanajoanie
Don't have fireants here but we used to live in Starkville, MS. Our yard had the mounds everywhere. Hubby finally went out with a sledge hammer and smashed the mounds to bits. Then we sprayed with Seven and Diazinon. Seemed to work for us. Wished we had thought of it earlier in the season. They hurt so bad and leave a white pimple/blister that you can't pop. At least with bee or yellow jacket stings you can dab on Mylanta and the sting goes away instantly...

I've never heard of using Mylanta, I will try that next time. thank you (((((nana))))))

Thank God we don't have fire ants up here yet. We have had other kinds though.

In the house we put Terro out when we are away for the day and then make sure to take the cardboard out to the trash so the kids(when they were little) or the pets don't get in it. Ants take this stuff back and share it with their colony, it takes a few weeks, but no more ants.

cowgirlup6908
09-30-2002, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by Tasha405

Its called ORTHO Home Defense Indoor & Outdoor Insect Killer. Its ready to use, odor free, non-staining and kills on contact! For ants: apply directly to ants and ant trails. This stuff is really good. I think I paid like $7 for it.

Originally posted by angelseyes28

OOH OOH I use that stuff too!! It comes in a gallon size bottle i think. I spray all along the floor at the wall, the corners from floor to ceiling and along the wall at the ceiling...and of course around windows. It says it is suppose to last like 6-8 weeks but I don't see ants for over 6 months! Now if ortho could only come up with something good for fireants:(

the ORTHO home defense works great for fire ants...i love it...esp. since it doesn't smell so it doesn't kill my allergies...

when i still lived at home...what we did to get rid of fireant hills in the pasture...(only way i can rem. that act. worked)...we took 2 peps with shovels...u scoop up a bit with ants from one mound and the other person does it from mound b....then u put the part from mound a on mound b and vice versa....they will kill everyone in the mound defending it...
it was sooo fun when i was younger...we'd watch them fight...lol...just be careful that they don't come up the shovel...
another good killer is gas..just pour some on the mound...just don't light any matches around it...

Widgetsx3
09-30-2002, 07:59 AM
We have them in Vegas...my DD is REALLY allergic to them too...I have two things that work...Bleach and Malathion (sp)

Pour it down the hill and they are history...mean little b@$t@rd$.