PDA

View Full Version : The snake man

mesue
09-28-2002, 11:29 PM
My friend who has some kittens to give away called several pet stores since she wasn't having any luck, one guy said sure bring them on in when they get up to about two pounds she thought this was just a little weird since most people would have asked about age, well being desperate to find a place for the kittens she took them to the pet store turns out this guy also ran a snake exhibit in another part of the pet store. He weighed the kittens and was going to take them but had to leave a few minutes to show the snakes and people are paying for the tour of the snake exhibit so she makes her get away with the kittens of course since she was sure they were going to be snake food. I told her she should call the humane society but she said she never saw anything just the fact that he weighed the kittens made her suspicious and that she is worried they will just think she is being a little crazy. What would you all do and don't you think he was going to feed the kittens to the snakes?

Queensown
09-29-2002, 12:34 AM
OMG! I'm so sad just thinking about it! I'm so happy your friend was alert enough to get away with those kitties!

lilmeanie43
09-29-2002, 03:06 AM
Well I'm sorry this upset your friend... and I'm not really sure the humane society would do anything either... ALOT of ppl who own the bigger snakes (like a bermiese python... that can and will if allowed the space grow a foot a year... for ever basically) feed them things like kittens and small cats... it's not uncommon at all.

mesue
09-29-2002, 03:25 AM
Originally posted by lilmeanie43
Well I'm sorry this upset your friend... and I'm not really sure the humane society would do anything either... ALOT of ppl who own the bigger snakes (like a bermiese python... that can and will if allowed the space grow a foot a year... for ever basically) feed them things like kittens and small cats... it's not uncommon at all.

I've always wondered what they fed them when they got big like that, I mean rats only get so big and though I'm not a big snake admirer I do realize they have their place in our enviorment if it wasn't for snakes we would be knee deep in rats everywhere but I do not understand why anyone would want one for a pet or otherwise and yes I do realize they are beautiful creatures to some (my son has wanted on for a pet forever not gonna happen while he is home)but truthfully I don't think its possible to give an animal like that the space it needs to survive in a proper enviorment like it was meant to do. And reptiles are not loving creatures and yes I have seen on the discovery channel how a massive croc will carry her babies ever so gently in her mouth to the water and also protect them but I've never heard of a croc or a snake adopting a human in the wild or a reptile waiting at the door wagging its tail thrilled to see its owner come home. I do however understand how a human can love one of these creatures.

Nikkole
09-29-2002, 05:36 AM
We own a 13 foot burmese and my husband feeds him big, big rats, I have read in the wild and even captive that they can eat small deer, got, cows etc.
As far as feeding his we use pre killed mice don't want the snake to get bite etc and we feed his using big, big hemo's my husband has been struck once and still has the scars to prove it.
He came out into the kitchen with blood running down his arm and I know what happened.
He has his own custom made room in the basement escape proof and kid proof triple deadbolted hubby has the only set of keys and a big kiddie pool.
They realy are good animals the reason why people get killed is that they don't bother to read the snakes mood, you know when he is mad hungery etc just by the way he is acting.There are times I can look at him and tell his is misserable so I shut the door and leave.
Almost bite three times and don't want to be bite by an animal with 1800 pounds of jaw pressure!