PDA

View Full Version : Please Take Precautions!

suzziq03
09-26-2002, 10:12 PM
With all the safty items in my house I never once thought to strap down the dressers. my 3 yr old daughter is also a "climber" :( ill definately buying straps tomorrow!

Child Killed by Falling Dresser
A family's life changed forever after a piece of furniture falls on a two-year-old girl.

The accident happened near I-17 and Happy Valley Road. Parents frantically called 9-1-1 after they found their daughter crushed under a dresser and not breathing.

The family had just moved into their new home. The parents told police they tried to take preventive measures to make sure their home was childproof, never expecting something this horrible.

“It's terrifying,” says one neighbor. “I can't even imagine. My prayers go out to them.”

The neighborhood is heartsick after learning the fate of a two-year-old girl. Police say the girl's parents last saw their daughter last night when they put her to bed. The father checked on her in the morning.

“Sometime between 9 and 9:30, the father came into the room and found the dresser on top of her,” said a police officer investigating the case.

She wasn't breathing. Paramedics began CPR as soon as they arrived. She was pronounced dead at the hospital.

Police say there's nothing suspicious about what happened here. The parents told them their child was a climber and they had to lock things up, like drawers and closets, just to keep her from moving things around.”

Neighbors plan to reach out to the family when the timing is right. For now parents are thinking about their children.

flute
09-26-2002, 10:13 PM
I will keep this in mind!

Jcowgirl77
09-26-2002, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by suzziq03
With all the safty items in my house I never once thought to strap down the dressers. my 3 yr old daughter is also a "climber" :( ill definately buying straps tomorrow!

Child Killed by Falling Dresser
A family's life changed forever after a piece of furniture falls on a two-year-old girl.

The accident happened near I-17 and Happy Valley Road. Parents frantically called 9-1-1 after they found their daughter crushed under a dresser and not breathing.

The family had just moved into their new home. The parents told police they tried to take preventive measures to make sure their home was childproof, never expecting something this horrible.

“It's terrifying,” says one neighbor. “I can't even imagine. My prayers go out to them.”

The neighborhood is heartsick after learning the fate of a two-year-old girl. Police say the girl's parents last saw their daughter last night when they put her to bed. The father checked on her in the morning.

“Sometime between 9 and 9:30, the father came into the room and found the dresser on top of her,” said a police officer investigating the case.

She wasn't breathing. Paramedics began CPR as soon as they arrived. She was pronounced dead at the hospital.

Police say there's nothing suspicious about what happened here. The parents told them their child was a climber and they had to lock things up, like drawers and closets, just to keep her from moving things around.”

Neighbors plan to reach out to the family when the timing is right. For now parents are thinking about their children.

I have all my dressers and cabinets even my entertainment center strapped to the wall.
Well suzziq03 I know what state you live in

I know excatly where I-17 and happy valley road are. lol

jaybird
09-26-2002, 10:23 PM
I had a friend who lost a 3 year old dot when, in the middle of the night, she slipped between the bed and the wall. :(

Please don't put your small child's beds flat against a wall.

Widgetsx3
09-27-2002, 11:28 AM
I have a free standing pantry that my 3 yr old brought down on himself. Fortunately, the dining room table caught it and he was ok. But it is now strapped down. I have not bought dressers for that reason...well the tall ones anyways...I have the short long ones.

MsTerious
09-27-2002, 11:46 AM
YIKES!! Thanks for the 411 SuzziQ!! I don't have kids, (well not the human kind) but I'm going to make sure to mention this to my sister who has a 5 yr old and two 2 yr olds. Of course, she is such a paranoid mother that I'm sure she even has the pillows strapped down. :rolleyes:

anarmywife
09-27-2002, 01:12 PM
great- how do you strap things down? and can it be done in temporary housing? I cant do anything permanent since we move every couple years but both of my boys, 2 and 3 are climbers!!!! At least they dont have dressers in their room, but still is scary.

suzziq03
09-27-2002, 01:26 PM
that you can buy some straps ( goes behind the dresser, one pegged to the wall, and the other half to the dresser ) available at Baby USA. but im sure they can be found at walmart as they have the protective items from safty first over there.
I couldnt find any in my area, went to 3 diff. stores today. so i guess im going to have to concoct home made ones, or order some from a site somewhere. as for temp housing, just get some spakle(sp?) and some paint ( paint should be avail. at "self help" if ur military) and cover the holes before you leave. or simply explaine that safty was more important to you with your children than a having them dead or paralized due to dangers, and most housing will be ok with it and just cover it up when they fix the house before the next person enters it. its a matter of what they think, call the housing office and ask if your military, if renting, as the lanlord. hope this helps some.
sue

anarmywife
09-27-2002, 01:29 PM
yes im on post- I dont even know where self help is here, I suppose I will find it eventually this post is so huge I still get lost.

denisemm
09-27-2002, 01:42 PM
My sister bought me a dresser for my son's room, and it came with a big strap on it to secure it to the wall. Of course I had to go get a big ol' anchor/screw for the wall, but I would rather fix a hole when we leave the apartment than have it fall, because he will empty the drawers & stand in them! (he figured out the child proof latches)

mizjen
09-27-2002, 02:30 PM
I had to take everything out of my boys' room. I had everything bolted to the floor and the walls, but it still didn't work. They are so strong, and are really good at working as a team. So, they were able to pull everything away from the walls and out of the floor.

All they have left in their bedroom is 2 matresses. I couldn't even give them box springs.:(

It's kind of scary that they are so good at figuring out how to destroy things.

menanamama
09-27-2002, 05:28 PM
i have my kids dressers in the closet so if they fall the hit the door jam and they won't get hurt but the cann't even climb up the drawers because they only come out about a foot then hit the door jam...da hubby has to fix up the ones in our room with anchor straps though.

menanamama
09-27-2002, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by suzziq03
that you can buy some straps ( goes behind the dresser, one pegged to the wall, and the other half to the dresser ) available at Baby USA. but im sure they can be found at walmart as they have the protective items from safty first over there.
I couldnt find any in my area, went to 3 diff. stores today. so i guess im going to have to concoct home made ones, or order some from a site somewhere. as for temp housing, just get some spakle(sp?) and some paint ( paint should be avail. at "self help" if ur military) and cover the holes before you leave. or simply explaine that safty was more important to you with your children than a having them dead or paralized due to dangers, and most housing will be ok with it and just cover it up when they fix the house before the next person enters it. its a matter of what they think, call the housing office and ask if your military, if renting, as the lanlord. hope this helps some.
sue i have an extra if you want...you can just mail me the postage prepaid and i will send...very light shouldn't be more than 3 or 4 stamps. plmk

suzziq03
09-27-2002, 07:03 PM
thats very nice of you, I mentioned this to my neighbor about a hour ago and she said she can give me some that she bough when she was in TX. she bought extras when she saw them on sale. thank you for asking me though! I do appriceate it very much. :)