PDA

View Full Version : DSL vs Cable; which is better?

ckerr4
09-04-2002, 07:01 PM
We want to get high-speed access, but I'd like to know (from personal experiences) which you think is better, DSL or cable. And are there any companies you would reccommend or warn against?

TIA!

jaybird
09-04-2002, 07:05 PM
Can't answer that exactly. I just went from dialup to cable a month ago and I'd never go back. I've heard from many that cable is better, or they like it better, or it's faster than dsl but I don't know for a fact. I just know it's WAY better than dialup and I am VERY happy with my cable, and I have the lowest level of 3 speed levels. I can't imagine needing anything faster than this. Plus I got the first 4 months free! Works for me! I dropped my dialup at $12 a month, dropped my extra phone line (with call waiting and forwarding for callwave) at $35 a month and I'm $12 a month ahead now! My cable is through Charter Communications, my cable provider of course, and their tech support and customer service help has been outstanding!

Lasher
09-04-2002, 07:06 PM
I HATE CHARTER CABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol other than that cable is great, down side of DSL, if you have noise in your phone line, your connection is effected greatly, and if you have cordless phones, it will effect also.

cpbaby
09-04-2002, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by Lasher
I HATE CHARTER CABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol other than that cable is great, down side of DSL, if you have noise in your phone line, your connection is effected greatly, and if you have cordless phones, it will effect also.

I have BellSouth DSL. I LOVE IT! When I got the box with my modem, it came with 6 or 8 "filters" to put on my phone lines between the wall and the phone connections, including my cordless. I have NEVR had any trouble with noise. THe worst thing that happened was I had an online class and had to take a test one night. I couldnt connect. I called customer service and come to find out someone had taken out a pole. I rehooked my phone line up to the dial up modem and took my test via dial up. I get 10 or 20 dial up hours free a month in case the DSL goes out. I think I have used two in the 13 months Ive had DSL.

Yasha
09-04-2002, 07:31 PM
DSL definately. With cable you have to share a 'hub' with other peopl on your area. That hub may have anywhere from 1 person to 100 people sharing the bandwidth. With DSL your bandwidth is your OWN and is not shared. DSL is also a little more stabler than cable. DSL is on your phone line but you can still use the telephone whilst online.

If you can find ADSL go for that isntead, its LOADs faster and more reliable than either DSL or cable.

ahippiechic
09-04-2002, 08:15 PM
I had DSL for 2 months before we moved to Phoenix. I would never have it again. Our cable is faster & much more stable. I guess a lot of it would depend on the provider also, some may be better than others. I live in downtown Phoenix, so I assume there are a lot of peeps on our hub, but we still get around 900 kbytes/sec down & 45 kilobites/sec up, unless you uncapp it. ;) But no matter what speeds your provider says you can get, (with DSl or cable) you can only d/l as fast as the other person can send, which is sometimes not very fast. So unless you can get ASDSL, I'd go for the cable.

captorquewrench
09-04-2002, 08:34 PM
Unless you already have cable for your TV it's not worth the hassle of the install to have broadband cable.

The DSL Install is much easier since the phone lines are already installed. Plus you can save over $200 in a lot of cases ($275 for us) if you self-install, and it's no harder than putting in a new video card; I don't think that option is available with cable.

The reliability and price for both DSL and cable are comparable.

A lot of it is dependent upon the overall reliability of the provider.

ahippiechic
09-04-2002, 08:46 PM
Here in Phoenix, if you already have cable outlets, it's 35.00 if they come out & install. If they just bring the modem & splitter & leave, they don't charge anything. It's REALLY easy to hook up. You don't even have to install any software now. :)

jaybird
09-04-2002, 08:51 PM
Hooking up my cable internet cost me nothing. They brought everything I needed (cable & modem) and there was no installation charges. With our phone company and an independent internet provider (that I had my dialup with) it was $75 to come out, and whatever other costs were incurred. I totally agree with cappy, and I agree that everyone is going to have pros and cons for either choice. So what you need to do is see which is cheaper for you as far as monthly charges, installing, needed hardware. Either one you choose, you'll be fine with. And believe me, after dial up, you'll be THRILLED!

lilmeanie43
09-04-2002, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by Yasha
DSL definately. With cable you have to share a 'hub' with other peopl on your area. That hub may have anywhere from 1 person to 100 people sharing the bandwidth. With DSL your bandwidth is your OWN and is not shared. DSL is also a little more stabler than cable. DSL is on your phone line but you can still use the telephone whilst online.

If you can find ADSL go for that isntead, its LOADs faster and more reliable than either DSL or cable.

This is true... about having to share the line... but on the average... there's never that many ppl on the same hub unless you live in a place like Dallas or Houston or an equivilant... so it's rarely a factor... and it's also true that the noise on the dsl can cause you problems... but I've got 4 different cordless phones hooked up in my house and I've NEVER had a problem with my dsl due to problem... only stupid techies at SWBELL who treat everyone like they know nothing about their own computers. My husband is a techie too tho, so I do understand why they act that way to most ppl. I have had both cable and dsl and I like them both equally... I wouldn't have a problem with running either.

ckerr4
09-04-2002, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by lilmeanie43

there's never that many ppl on the same hub unless you live in a place like Dallas or Houston or an equivilant... so it's rarely a factor...

I knew there was a reason I prefer to live in Ft. Worth rather than Dallas;)

ahippiechic
09-04-2002, 09:59 PM
I live in Phoenix, & it's never been a problem for me. Like I said, we get GREAT speeds.

ckerr4
09-04-2002, 10:24 PM
I've been looking around, and it seems that most plans are between $45 and $50 a month. Is this about normal? It seems that BellSouth has the best special promotion right now. I may be back on here within the next few weeks asking for help installing the modem or whatever I need to get it all started:D

ahippiechic
09-04-2002, 10:34 PM
My cable is 35.00 a month, & that includes basic cable stations for the TV, also.

Jolie Rouge
09-04-2002, 10:37 PM
POUNCE !!

POUNCE !!

POUNCE !!

POUNCE !!

POUNCE !!

POUNCE !!

POUNCE !!

POUNCE !!

sorry - just popped in to 'POUNCE" hippiechic !

'nite .... :)

ahippiechic
09-04-2002, 10:58 PM
OMG! I've been pounced! :p