PDA

View Full Version : How do you cash a money order?

suziebee20
09-04-2002, 02:17 PM
Dumb question, but I got one, and have no clue how to cash it?!? Where can I take it to get it cashed? It qalso says I need proper ID, I'm 16 and don't have an identification card or drivers license. Do you think they would take my school ID (has my pic) with a report card (matches my student # on the card and my name/address). lol, I feel so dumb, and so clueless! Thanks!

Lasher
09-04-2002, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by suziebee20
Dumb question, but I got one, and have no clue how to cash it?!? Where can I take it to get it cashed? It qalso says I need proper ID, I'm 16 and don't have an identification card or drivers license. Do you think they would take my school ID (has my pic) with a report card (matches my student # on the card and my name/address). lol, I feel so dumb, and so clueless! Thanks!

I doubt you will be able to find anyone to cash it without proper id, if you no someone who has a bank account the can sign it with you, and get it cashed, depending on the bank.

captorquewrench
09-04-2002, 02:22 PM
You may have a problem getting it cashed, depending on the issuer. Postal money orders are the easiest to cash (just do it at the PO and no fee)

money orders can be diffcult to cash and some places won't do it, even if you bought it from there.

What might be the easiest thing to do would have someone you know (like a parent or trusted friend with a bank account) let you endorse it payable to them, deposit it in their account, then withdraw cash to give to you.

suzziq03
09-04-2002, 02:25 PM
is take it the bank with a parent where they have a account. most places would take a student ID. ( at least they did when I was in H.S.)... BUT not sure about now.
of course you can always take about 10 dollars and open your own savings account in your name with your ID and report card and deposit it in there, then withdrawl out of it. ( as far as i know most will do that also, but have to keep $5 in savings at all times.)... sorry im not much help if any, but im sure things have changed since 1990 when i was 16! :(

suziebee20
09-04-2002, 02:27 PM
It is a postal money order. Do you think the post office would let me? If not, going to have to try my b/fs mom... my mother said I wasn't to give my address to anyone for trades, and instead had to have all the payments sent through my neighbor (Whome I know would steal it!). Ugh, I'm in a pickle now...

gravittr
09-04-2002, 02:50 PM
heres some help. i have a 16 yr old. he took hes ss card to the bank here in town and got it cashed. have ur parents take u too thier bank that the go through. and u should not have any problems.

captorquewrench
09-04-2002, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by suziebee20
It is a postal money order. Do you think the post office would let me? If not, going to have to try my b/fs mom... my mother said I wasn't to give my address to anyone for trades, and instead had to have all the payments sent through my neighbor (Whome I know would steal it!). Ugh, I'm in a pickle now...

i recommend you go to the post office to try. they should do it.

shell76
09-04-2002, 02:57 PM
Does the M.O. have your addy on it? If not, just don't show her the envelope it came in and maybe she won't know! I'd call the P.O. and ask if they would cash it w/ a student I.D.

ahippiechic
09-04-2002, 04:45 PM
My son has cashed them at the post office with a student ID.