PDA

View Full Version : Don't ever let your dogs eat grapes or raisins!

sharinbo
08-22-2002, 09:30 AM
STRANGE FRUIT? ASPCA REPORTS ON CASES OF CANINE KIDNEY FAILURE FROM GRAPES AND RAISINS
In response to reports of dogs developing kidney failure after eating large amounts of grapes or raisins, the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) conducted a review of all related cases in its database. Veterinary toxicologists found that all of the companion canines developed vomiting within six hours of ingestion; the estimated amounts of grapes or raisins eaten ranged from nine ounces to two pounds. Other commonly reported signs included diarrhea, anorexia, lethargy and abdominal pain, and all of the dogs developed evidence of kidney disfunction. Adds APCC's Charlotte Means, DVM, "Whether the ingested grapes were purchased fresh from grocery stores or grown in private yards didn't seem to matter, nor did the brand eaten." Clinical signs lasted for several days--sometimes even weeks. And after aggressive treatment, which included intravenous fluids and medications, half of the dogs recovered, while the others died or had to be euthanized.

At present, the exact role of grapes or raisins in these cases--what exactly is the toxic component--is still unclear. But a dog who has ingested large amounts can now be diagnosed and treated successfully. The first line of defense is decontamination, and the canine should be hospitalized and placed on IV fluids. If the blood work appears normal after three days, it's unlikely that kidney failure will occur; if there is evidence of renal failure, more aggressive treatment--including fluids, medication and possibly dialysis--is called for. For more on treating and identifying poisoning from grapes and raisins, please visit APCC online.

If you suspect that your dog has ingested large quantities of raisins or grapes--or any other potentially dangerous substance--call your veterinarian or the APCC's emergency hotline at 1-888-4-ANI-HELP for round-the-clock telephone assistance. For more information on poison prevention, go to APCC online.

http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=apcc&JServSessionIdr005=fytxv8lkl9.app7a

TheOzzyFan
08-22-2002, 09:33 AM
I learned to put up people food out of doggies reach after The Great Bubba The Great Dane ate a pound bag of M&M's fiasco of 96.

chort1313
08-22-2002, 09:44 AM
thanks for the heads up, sharinbo. I try not to let max have anything, but He loves to eat off the counter!

sharinbo
08-22-2002, 09:45 AM
I had a dog that ate a pound of M&Ms too...he got on the counter and opened the cupboard to get them out while I was gone! That was a TENSE night!

Wimzik
08-22-2002, 09:45 AM
Thanks for the warning! just a couple of weeks ago my dot was feeding grapes to our dog, I told her not to, but I had no Idea it could be so harmful! I'm glad she didn't get sick!

janelle
08-22-2002, 09:54 AM
My sister's dog at some chocolate and had a projectile accident in her daughter's room, all over the place. So if you don't want a huge mess to clean up just watch what you leave around for the animals to get.

My mother gave Simon a grape and he ate it. Came right back up though.

jaybird
08-22-2002, 11:39 AM
CRIPES! Zoe LOVES grapes. She LOVES all fruit, begs for it! Grapes, bananas, apples, watermelon, cantaloupe. She likes raw vegies too, but not nearly as much as fruit. She has been known to swipe a tomato RIGHT off our plants in the garden!

I DID not know that about grapes. What constitutes 'large' amounts?

GnaGtCha
08-22-2002, 12:07 PM
My dog loves banana's, I dont think they are harmful to them. I hope not anyway!

sadie01
08-22-2002, 12:37 PM
NOT TO MENTION IT GIVES THEM THA POOPS...

Syrinx
08-22-2002, 01:09 PM
This reminds me of a time my mom had left a large bowl of grapes on the kitchen counter. I walked in and found one of their cats carefully removing the grapes one at a time with his paw and then rolling them off the counter to the dog, who was eating them. I was laughing too hard to scold either of them.

This same dog also ate most of my mom's cherry tomatoes right off the vine before anyone else could get any of them.

janelle
08-22-2002, 01:35 PM
LOL Syrinx--too bad you didn't get a video of that. :D

flute
08-22-2002, 08:54 PM
HEY are plums ok? Sammy's been known to swallow 'em whole seed & all! :eek:

mesue
08-23-2002, 04:32 AM
Hubby and me just ate raisins earlier tonight while watching tv and fed the dogs some because they were begging for them I had no idea they would hurt them, never again, they both seem fine, my little mutt poodle is sleeping and the maltese that I thought was a shiizu is currently playing bite my masters toes off. thanks!

chort1313
08-23-2002, 06:00 AM
Originally posted by sharinbo
I had a dog that ate a pound of M&Ms too...he got on the counter and opened the cupboard to get them out while I was gone! That was a TENSE night!

OMG!!! Syringx, your story cracked me up also!

Syrinx
08-23-2002, 07:21 AM
I really wish I'd had a video camera- I bet I could have gotten $100 from the Planet's Funniest Animals for that one!