PDA

View Full Version : ILL . Woman Warned on Nursing son, 8

Nikkole
08-21-2002, 01:26 PM
Urbana, Ill
Prosecutors were again trying to force a woman to stop breast-feeding her 8-year old son, a practice that once temporarily landed the boy in foster care.
During a brief hearing Tuesday, Judge Ann Einhorn warned Lynn Stuckey, 34, against continuing the practise and set a future court dates to consider the prosecuter's petition claming neglect.
Stuckey lets her son nurse once every 10 days or so, a practice she calls natural, child-led weaning, though she's unsure whether she still produces milk.
The state took custody of the boy in July 2000 after a baby sitter called a child abuse hotline, and he remained in foster care for several months.
Einhorn had approved his homecoming, saying Stuckey was no longer nursing.
The single mother appeared on ABC-TV's "Good Morning America" last month to discuss her situation, the first time she was identified publicly.
The program included a tape of the boy while suckling.
"I think people need to see me and my child and realize that this is perfectly normal practice" Stuckey said on the program. "We are your standard middle-class American family, and we're not doing nothing anything wrong"
About a week later, prosecuter John Piland filed the petetion, which alleges that Stuckey has neglected her son by placing him at risk for emotional harm: failed to correct the conditions that triggered the foster care two years ago; and exposed him to ridicule by showing the tape.
The petition does not bring criminal charges, instead asking the judge to intervene under the state's juvenile law.
The judge could terminate parental rights, but Piland would not say whether he'll seek that.A new hearing was set for Sept 10.The boy's fater lived in Oregon during the last court test and has had little role in raising him..

kelblend
08-21-2002, 01:28 PM
totally weird chick!!!!!!

wouldn't that just be considered sexual at this point?????
:eek: :eek: :eek:

so weird.

smeans
08-21-2002, 01:34 PM
sick sick sick!!! wth is wrong with people? i would definately say this is a sexual thing. so sad.

mizjen
08-21-2002, 02:12 PM
Sheesh. Some people. Why would anyone risk losing their child again? Even if it's true that she thinks this is natural, she's putting her own convictions before her child. That is just wrong.

HunnyB
08-21-2002, 05:56 PM
My mother is a nurse who teaches breastfeeding to new mothers needing help and according to her by the time a child is over a year old nursing becomes more of a comfort issue than nutritional, so a good age to stop breast feeding is 2-3, after that children need to be taught other ways of comforting such as the old stand by the security blanket :)
I've seen a show or two about this kind of thing before and it was really about the mother needing to feel connected to her child than anything else...

But I agree that 8 years old is way too old to be breastfeeding your child! That's just sick and definately wrong :(

menanamama
08-21-2002, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by smurfy2day
Not to stick up for the chick or anything like that, but in some countries, this is considered "normal." America really seems to be the only country in the world where breast feeding is considered taboo. it isn't the breast feeding that is sick...it is the age of the child. 8 yrs is way too old. they know the difference between a man and a woman and become curious at that age. wether sexual or not i have no clue or care...it is just sad to be doing that at that age...it is hurting the child mentally...not to mention the emotional damage thanks to the video.

gonnascream
08-21-2002, 06:28 PM

NIGHTOWL4
08-21-2002, 06:47 PM
I have seen this before....and it is SICKKKKKKK!!!!

In my opinion if a child is old enough to say
bottle(or boob?)it is old enough to have a cup!

mizjen
08-21-2002, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by NIGHTOWL4
In my opinion if a child is old enough to say
bottle(or boob?)it is old enough to have a cup!

No doubt. If a child is old enough to undo your shirt, it should be fully capable of drinking from a cup.

kassismom
08-21-2002, 07:43 PM
Breast feeding an eight yr. old is just plain wrong, there isn't any if's and's or but's about it. You would think that after they took him away once that she would get a hint that the justice and childwelfare system doesn't agree w/ her views and she would stop since she loves her son so much.

Jaidness
08-21-2002, 07:46 PM
I'm gonna file this one under things that make ya go Hmmmmmmm.:confused: :eek:

Syrinx
08-21-2002, 07:48 PM
Breastfeeding is a very good thing. But not when the child is 8!

I hope this mother is saving a lot of money for the counseling this poor kid is eventually going to need.

jaybird
08-21-2002, 07:51 PM
[by the time a child is over a year old nursing becomes more of a comfort issue [/B][/QUOTE]

Comfort issue for whom? I've been following this story, Urbana's only 2-2 1/2 hours from me. And there is no psychological, emotional nor nutritional reason this child should be nursing. And at 8 years old, I cannot believe HE still wants this, and doesn't TELL his mother, "No thanks, I'd rather have Kool-Aid!"

jaybird
08-21-2002, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by gonnascream
I bottle fed both of my kids, and as a result my kids are well adjusted, and I still have perky boobs.

I nursed my children, until 8 or 9 months of age, and as a result my kids are well-adjusted and I still have perky boobs. At 49 years old.

Your comment made no sense whatsoever. Nursing has nothing to do with the tone of breast tissue. Breasts have no muscle, they are made up of fat and glands. (I have a s-i-l that has 12 kids and nursed each of them) The 'perkiness' has nothing to do with breastfeeding and everything to do with age and gravity.

And to say that bottle-fed babies are [as a result] well-adjusted is just wrong. Bottle or breast has NOTHING whatsoever to do with the attitude and personality and 'adjustment' of a child. That comes from its environment and how it is raised.

Sorry, but those two comments hit a little too close to home for me. No flaming, no hard feelings. Just wanted you to see the 'other side' of your comments.

ahippiechic
08-21-2002, 07:55 PM
This was posted on here right after the Good Morning America show with them on it. I agree, he's way too old.

Hillbilly
08-21-2002, 08:09 PM
That is just totally warped.:eek: Eight years old!?!?:confused: Sounds like she is just a french fry short of a happy meal!!!:rolleyes:

gonnascream
08-21-2002, 08:20 PM

jaybird
08-21-2002, 08:25 PM
Sorry gonnascream. Just a sore subject with me.

As far as biting, Sarah bit me once, I stopped feeding her (she cut her first tooth at 5 months) and put her down. She tried again, I did the same thing...no more biting. Don't know anything about sagging from nursing. Everyone I know, friends and fam (and dahubby has 8 sisters still have nice (^)(^) ones.

Know what an 80 year old has between her breasts that a 20 year old doesn't?

A navel.
:D :D :D

gonnascream
08-21-2002, 08:33 PM

Jolie Rouge
08-21-2002, 08:44 PM
Stuckey lets her son nurse once every 10 days or so, a practice she calls natural, child-led weaning, though she's unsure whether she still produces milk. It took less then ten days to wean each of my three children. If it is a "comfort mechanism" it is for her - not the child.

One girl I used to go to school with said that after she got done with breast feeding her first one, her boobs sagged to the point she had to pick them up and drop them into her bra. After I heard that, I went and bout a cartfull of bottles. I am determined to keep a nice set of headlights. I nursed three - and my "headlights" shine nice, bright, and straight ahead ;)

jaybird
08-21-2002, 08:50 PM
POUNCE !!
POUNCE !!
POUNCE !!
POUNCE !!
POUNCE !!
POUNCE !!
POUNCE !!
POUNCE !!
POUNCE !!
POUNCE !!
POUNCE !!
POUNCE !!
POUNCE !!
POUNCE !!
POUNCE !!
POUNCE !!
POUNCE !!
POUNCE !!
POUNCE !!
POUNCE !!
POUNCE !!
POUNCE !!
POUNCE !!
POUNCE !!
POUNCE !!
POUNCE !!
POUNCE !!
POUNCE !!
POUNCE !!
POUNCE !!
POUNCE !!
POUNCE !!

flute
08-21-2002, 08:56 PM
after reading all of this i wonder........have my headlights dropped? I can't tell. I have got to ....study :rolleyes: :eek:

Anyway, I am all about breastfeeding. L My Isabel probably wouldn't go to bed w/out it. LOL

So it's all cool. Now to 8 years of age, I mean come on that's 4th grade...possibly 5th, depending on birthdate, etc. To me, that is taboo. :eek: But, that's just ME. :)

mizjen
08-21-2002, 10:09 PM
I bottle fed my kids, and my headlights are definately on low-beam.
:(

*Sigh* Oh well.

~Angel Eyez~
08-21-2002, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by cammiet
? Can you imagine the sexual issues this boy is going to have when he's a teenager?

Not only that but they actually showed him doing it??? What are the other kids or who ever saw that gonna say to him??

chort1313
08-22-2002, 05:11 AM
REally, what did the kid have to say about it?!?!:confused: :confused:

I just think this is plain el SICKO!

....and I don't see nothing whatsoever wrong with breast feeding, but 8 is just a tad bit old!!! Leave it up to the mother if they want to breast feed or not---but I think it should be cut off at an appropriate age.

ahippiechic
08-22-2002, 07:04 AM
http://forums.bigbigsavings.com/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=205599&highlight=breast+feeding

There are some linx in this thread to the GMA story.

MommyG3
08-22-2002, 07:44 AM
Smurfy2Day was correct...some cultures do breastfeed WAY beyond the age of 3. That is SOME cultures. I, personally, feel it is a personal choice between the breast and the bottle. I also feel the age is a personal choice. I think that beyond 3 for me is quite strange, but if you want to...KUDOS to you. Also, when we were in LeBonheur last fall, there was a meninite (sp) whose child was about 4 or 5 and she was nursing too. It does happen, but not often.

PrncsNYC
08-22-2002, 08:34 AM
and I have no children! My days of perkiness left when I lost 40lbs. They have never been the same...I actually despise them.

MusicfanAnnie
08-25-2002, 10:08 AM
How can this woman still be brestfeeding her child of 8????? I though babies were brestfed, not older childern. That woman is a sicko. What the hell is this Mother doing to her child?? This scares me to think that some woman will keep on with breastfeeding when the child is clearly way too old.

HunnyB
08-25-2002, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by jaybird
Comfort issue for whom? I've been following this story, Urbana's only 2-2 1/2 hours from me. And there is no psychological, emotional nor nutritional reason this child should be nursing. And at 8 years old, I cannot believe HE still wants this, and doesn't TELL his mother, "No thanks, I'd rather have Kool-Aid!"

It's a comfort issue because the mother still believes that the child needs it to be comforted and the mother feels that is her way of bonding with the child... still sick at 8 yrs old if you ask me :(