PDA

View Full Version : Attention Paramedics And Emts

sarahscand
08-20-2002, 10:21 PM
Got a question? If i am interested in becoming a emt where do i go to get started and is there like any finacial help?

miccit
08-20-2002, 10:41 PM
When DH got his EMT certification he went through the local adult school. It was around $500 for the class. Call your local colleges, hospitals, or fire stations they will have information.

lilmeanie43
08-20-2002, 10:46 PM
My hubby just went to the local junior college and he got a loan through them to do it... he had to work, so it took him 3 semesters to do it, but normally I don't think it takes that long.

miccit
08-20-2002, 10:48 PM
It has been a long time since DH took this course. But I think the course was a month or two. It was all the ride alongs and hospital work that took a while to complete.

tina z
08-21-2002, 07:32 AM
I went through EMT-B classes that started in September of 99 and finished in march of 2000. The community that I live in paid for the classes w/a signed contract from me that I would serve our community for 2 years. Have your hubby ask an EMT and they can lead him to the right places and people. My claases were done at an EMS/Firehouse building with several other students and it was $500. We met 2 nights a week and 3 hours at a time, plus we also spent training time doing ride-alongs and working ER. The classes are tough amd the instructors told us up front that anyone in the room that was there for s**ts and grins needed to leave immediately.

lisarae
08-21-2002, 12:00 PM
My husband went through a local vocational school. It is approximately $500. But the fire dept he is now the chief of, paid for the class for him, it was a volunteer department. He was just a firefighter then, but they paid for a few more since then. If you have volunteer stations around your home, check and see if they have any programs that they do to help with there roster. Like if you were to join, and stay for a certain amount of time, if they would help with the bill. Most volunteer departments need members. male and female.

Katt
08-21-2002, 03:01 PM
If you have a votech around you, contact them. Regular EMT-B is only like 3 months. Emt-I is longer. But, if you finish those, and decide to go for paramedic, it takes a LOT longer. My hubby is going to have to go for 2 years, but he's also getting his degree in fire science, so that could tack onto it. I think it is about a year for paramedic..maybe a year and a half with clinicals. But, since it is a longer class, your chances of getting financial aid, other than loans etc, is better.

I'm not sure if all states have EMT-I anymore. I know in arkansas, it was combined with paramedic, and there was EMT-B and EMT-Ambulance. Good luck though.

tina z
08-22-2002, 01:06 PM
((((((Sarah)))))) Email me please! I have friends going thru the classes now!:) :) :) :) :)