PDA

View Full Version : POLL: ::: 9-11 memorabilia

Kyla Kym
08-18-2002, 08:14 PM
How do you feel about collecting 9-11 memorabilia ?

I was just told I was morbid on icq when I tried to share the link to the Free "Fallen But Not Forgotten" 9/11 Magazine that is posted here on bbs with a friend.

I don't feel this is morbid. But I can't really explain why I'm collecting the stuff either. I just feel a need to. Is this wrong?
:confused:

ksjayhawkfan
08-18-2002, 08:16 PM
I dont think youre wrong or that its morbid. I have a ton of stuff saved too.

jaybird
08-18-2002, 08:32 PM
My mother saved magazines and newspaper articles when JFK was assassinated in '63 (I was in 4th grade) I still have all of that. She has papers from the attack on Pearl Harbor. It's history, and something that meant a lot to my kids, actually put 'history' into their hands, so to speak, when they could read the newspaper headlines. I have newspapers from the first space launch, from the first time man walked on the moon. I have several boxes full of 'history.' Am I morbid?

I saved the newspapers and magazine articles from 9-11. It's something I want my kids to keep to give to their children, when my grandchildren read about the attack in their history books. I don't think it's morbid at all. I think BUYING a lot of commercial paraphenalia 'commemorating 9-11' might be a bit much...I have issues with anyone making money off the tragedy. But anything that we save for our children and our grandchildren isn't morbid.

Tasha405
08-18-2002, 08:33 PM
I don't see anything wrong with it. I have saved a few things too.:)

Kyla Kym
08-18-2002, 08:43 PM
I've only been saving things like you know the memorial tributes that where sent around in e-mails. I left a VCR tape recording the whole day that it happened. I thought this would be something that my grandchildren someday could see just how awful it really was..not what they have read in books...I want them to be able to see how the world came to a halt on that day. Nothing like that has every happened in my life time. And I hope I never see anything else like it again in my life.

But until today I have never felt or been called morbid before. That was a shock.

GodBlessAmerica
08-19-2002, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by jaybird
I don't think it's morbid at all.
I think BUYING a lot of commercial paraphenalia 'commemorating 9-11' might be a bit much...I have issues with anyone making money off the tragedy.

I couldn't agree more. !

right now.
On my answering machine, I saved a message from my brother,
he was up early & heard about the tragic news 1st second
it came out on sept. 11th
amazing to hear his voice, calm (so not to scare me)
but, you can hear the underlying fear, and undeniable disbelief.
He thought 'this was it'......

he didn't know that I had saved this message, untill january.
when I tape his message into a "voice recored Photo album"
and place news articals, etc in the album and gave it to him.
he cryed.... ( it's intense "hearing" how you felt/sounded on such
a tragic day.) but, cares deeply about this album a lot.

It is history.

I added a note, telling him that I would never erase that message,
untill all our fellow americans were recovered. 'some how' to their
families and I would not erase it untill Bin Laden was a pile of ashes.

I'd tell those icq'ers ( or anyone who thinks it morbid)
That "what's morbid, is... what "happen" on sept. 11th."

also....NY has tons of material that will be used for
a mermorial in NY. Firetucks,statues, etc..
that were right there at WTC.
That's not Mobid at all...

....that's remembrance....

GodBlessAmerica~

angelinwaiting
08-19-2002, 05:28 AM
I don't think its morbid either....My son who was 10 at the time has saved the newspaper from the next day that they gave him at school and I have a video too...I want to be able to show my 3 year old and my grandchildren cause all of it will not be in their school books....
I have the telegram that the US Army sent my grandmother to inform her that her son was killed overboard the ship at Pearl Harbor and I don't think it is morbid at all to save things like that...I have looked at that telegram many times and try to imagine how my grandmother felt when she received that message that she had lost her young son....
Is it morbid that we save our kids' many treasures throughout the years? If it is, then I am a very morbid person too...:)

mizjen
08-19-2002, 07:23 AM
I don't think it's morbid. It's a piece of history that we all saw. It's changed our lives. I also feel that we owe it to ourselves, our nation, those who were lost and their families to never forget and to remember it to those who were too young to remember along with those of future generations.

History books will only tell a part of what happened. They won't tell about all of the feelings that we had on that day and on the days after. They won't tell all of the things that happened that should have made us all proud to be Americans. There were too many things going on for the history books to mention it all.

onlinemom
08-30-2002, 09:59 AM
I also do not feel it's morbid, it's a piece of history, that I want to pass on to my daughter when she's old enough to understand. I just got back from a visit to the World Trade Center, and to this day it is overwhelmingly emotional. To anyone that taped the footage from Sept 11th, would anyone be willing to make me a copy. It didn't occur to me to tape it until the next day, but I would love to have the news coverage from that day to show my daughter as well. Right now all I have is pictures. I would pay postage, and a little extra for your time. Please email me at bunches@twcny.rr.com. Thank you!

menanamama
08-30-2002, 01:45 PM
a piece of history is just that. some find it morbid to collect memorabilia from ww2 era or the pow bracelts from vietnam. ppl need to remember their history and do it in different ways. some ppl need tangible reminders as it evokes a certain emotion that mere memory does not. i see nothing wrong with it personally.

menanamama
08-30-2002, 01:46 PM
with out evidence...it did not occur...would you beleive the holocost occurred if ther was no evidence that it did occur?

Lasher
08-30-2002, 01:49 PM
I don't think it's morbid to save things in remberance, I thought it was tasteless and tacky when all of the tshirt vendors that normally show up at our football games all had more american flags shirts than football shirts, and before 9/11 they had none of these shirts, they were just capitializing on tradegy, that I have a problem with.

trufflez
08-30-2002, 03:00 PM
I also have my mom's Kennedy things and Mt. Saint Helens. I have put away all of my 911 stuff, but still collect it. I have 2 large plastic tubs full. My kids are all over 21 now but you have no idea how many times they used the stuff for reports and essays. 911 affected all of our lives and to be by having this stuff I can show my grandkids the difference between freedom and security and what we have now.

Jcowgirl77
08-30-2002, 07:04 PM
LET ME SAY THIS I AM MAKING SCRAPBOOK FOR MY KIDS WHO ARE 3 1/2 AND 1 1/2 AND I SAVED NEWSPAPER ARTICLES AND MAGAZINE AS WELL AND THE GIRL I SCRAP WITH TOLD ME THAT IS STUPID TO PUT IN THEIR BOOK WELL i DONT THINK IT IS THIS WILL ONE DAY BE IN HISTORY BOOKS AND ALSO THEY DAY WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN PEOPLE WILL TALK ABOUT 9/11 TILL THEY ARE DEAD AND GONE AND I THINK THAT MY KIDS SHOULD KNOW WHAT HAPPENED THEY WERE ALIVE WHEN IT HAPPENED AND IT HAS CHANGED THEIR WORLD.
IF I AM WRONG THEN SO BE IT ............
SORRY NOT TRYING TO BE B*TCHY...LOL :)