PDA

View Full Version : Tattoo?

GuineaBaby
08-16-2002, 12:41 AM
Okay, I want to get a tatto. I don't want it to be more than 3 inches by 2 inches and one color. Can I have opinions about people who've gotten tattos? Also, is there a place I can go to check out the tattoo parlors in my area to make sure they're sanitized etc? Any price guesses as well? Thanks!

also, i want it to be of a dolphin and a horse together. If anyone has a really pretty, simple picture of this, that would really help me out! Thankies!

badswife
08-16-2002, 06:41 AM
I have 3, but I am still no expert! Being in Ca there should be plenty of places to choose from. Why don't you just go one day and check some of them out. They have plenty of pictures (flash) to choose from. Not trying to crack on your idea, but wouldnt the dolphin dry up, or the horse drown? LOL

lilmeanie43
08-16-2002, 08:54 AM
Looking on a website is the worst way to find out about a joints cleanliness... the only way you are going to do this is to visit several in your area, talk to the different artists... they'll all have books of their work so you can see how you like it. Find the one you are most comfortable with and have a talk with him. The good artists are all for this because they want you to have confidence in them and their abilities. It's not like it used to be when they were all pricks. I have two tattoos and they were both done by the same guy... he's two hours away from me... but I will drive the distance for my next because I wouldn't dare let anyone else touch me. The first time I met him I asked him to give me a tour of the shop and show me how the sanitization machines work and what needles and other equipment he would be using on me. He gladly did all of it... they have to make a living, so sharing this stuff is as good for them as it is for you... if they have a problem with it then it's not the place for you.

erniemarie
08-16-2002, 10:34 AM
first off talk to any friends or aqqauintences you know who may have gotten a tattoo and get an impression of the place they went to, not only do you want a clean sterile place but also a tattoo artist who knows what they are doing and does a good job, if they mess up the tattoo it will cost you more later for another artist to fix it, also go to some shops talk to the artist and look at their work (believe me I know-when I had my tat on my chest done it was done for around $50 and some of the color didn't take, now its going to cost me about $100 to have the color redone on it), as far as cost, the bigger the design, the more complex the design and the more colors you have in it the more it will cost also remember you get what you pay for, if you are getting a really cheap tattoo it will look like a really cheap tattoo and not be quite what you want, with tattoos you are better off paying a little more money for an artist who knows what they are doing and does a really good job, for the design either look at the artist work or look around on websites and books and magazines for a pic of something you really like and then discuss how you want it to look and want it modified or changed with the tattoo artist - remember this something you will live with for the rest of your life so don't make a hasty decision

Jcowgirl77
08-16-2002, 11:38 AM
I have a dolphin arond my belly button and one on my shoulder with tribal that one is big but you can get lots of things that small just go to the tattoo place and ask them they will also help you

jaybird
08-16-2002, 11:52 AM
Visit the local tat shops in your area. Look at their books, look at the cleanliness and professionalism. Ask people you see that have very good inkwork where they got it done. Do a search for 'tattoos' on the net and look at pictures. If you find one you like, save it to your hard drive. Buy a tat magazine if you want and browse through it for ideas.

I have a 3x2 on my ankle. It wasn't painful at all. The outlining is the worst part, they use a single needle for it, but filling in is a breeze. Parts of your body that are less 'meaty' are probably more uncomfortable, ankle, small of the back, etc. I started with a 1x1, didn't like it, had it reworked to a 2x1 then had that reworked again. I'm going to have more work done on this as soon as I get around to it, but I'm in no hurry. I get my work done at www.goldenlands.com Gary is an excellent artist and the shop is the cleanest I've been in.

It's probably a good thing I got my tat at 40 instead of 18, because otherwise I'd have a dozen of them. They're definitely addicting. I'm getting one more, my dot and I are getting matching ones, as soon as we can decide on a design we both can live with. Either that or I'm getting my kids names in kanji on my inner wrist.

jaybird
08-16-2002, 11:55 AM
http://www.absolutebodyart.com/

SueShopper
08-16-2002, 11:57 AM
We have an annual tattoo convention here..maybe they have one where you are from ..that way you can see them all at once, and decide from there. I'm sure there's alot to choose from.

ENJOY THE SKIN YOU'RE IN
YOU'RE NOT IN IT FOR LONG

jaybird
08-16-2002, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by FishmansBetrHalf
Needles? Willingly? *shudders at the thought*

Yep. And most people that do it, enjoy it! :D

cowgirlup6908
08-16-2002, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by FishmansBetrHalf
Needles? Willingly? *shudders at the thought*

my thoughts exactly....lol....i've always wanted one...just scrared to death of needles...my hunny has one...and he's trying to convince me it doesn't hurt....

ajksmom
08-16-2002, 01:06 PM
They don't hurt as bad as you would think, just mostly some stinging here and there. Like Jaybird said the black outline is definetly worse than the color shading. I have got 3 and they were done by a tattoo artist friend of mine that is getting ready to open up his own tattoo parlor in N.H. Just go into a few parlors around your area and look around for cleanliness and then talk to them about their sterilization process and so on. They also have flash sheets hanging all around the waiting area you might find a design you like there. But if not alot of tattoo artist are talented to draw up a design for you (my friend can) from the description of what you want, but it will probably be a little pricier because of the artist having to draw up something original. But be prepared tattoos are very addicting. I love mine and I am getting ready to have the rose on my right ankle turned into a braclet with my kids names. Just be sure for one that you definetly want one, ask friends for references to a great artist, and make sure you really really like the pic you choose because it is going to be permanent and if you decide later you don't really like it it will cost a heck of alot more to have it removed or covered up. GOOD LUCK on the hunting.

picklepuss
08-16-2002, 03:15 PM
I have 4 tats right now.i agree with everyone else though,go to the shops in your area and check them out.make sure you're comfatable with the artist who will be doing your tat.You can but Tattoo Magazine andseveral others to get some ideas on flash,artists reps,etc..The closest I can come to describing what it feels like to get a tat is if you hold a lit cigarette near your skin.It's like burning sensation.DO NOT drink any alcohol before you go becauase that will only make you bleed more.Good luck in finding someone to do what you want,I hope it comes out great!

Queensown
08-16-2002, 03:34 PM
Thanks for all the information! DH and I are both planning to get one done soon as well. Its a little harder for us because we live "in the country" and are most likely going to drive to Denver to have them done (3 hours each way) so we're going to have to make 2 trips (at least) once to check out places and then as many trips as it takes to get the tats done. =)

GuineaBaby
08-16-2002, 04:53 PM
I heard that a test was to pull on your arm hair and that's what it feels like

picklepuss
08-16-2002, 06:15 PM
There ya go,that will give you the sensation too.But just think of it being done continuously for an hour or 2.Tats are by no means fun to get,they do hurt.But if you want one ,you have to deal with the little bit of pain.Remember too,if you have a reputable and caring artist,he'll understand if you need a break.