PDA

View Full Version : Attack of the 'killer beef melt'

jaybird
08-11-2002, 08:46 PM
You all know Sarah (my dot) nearly as well as I do from as much as I've talked about her over the past couple years. From her college days, to the wenis episode with Gram, to the Valtrex for her fever blister, etc. etc. etc. Here's another chapter to the 'BOOK' --

She was attacked by a killer beef melt. Seriously.

Last night, Sarah worked til about 1:45am, went to her boyfriend's apartment and came home this morning about 10am with a black, swollen, scratched up right eye...

I'm thinking "OH BOY, NOW what happened???" And she proceeds to tell me.

Sarah's a server at a very busy, very popular microbrewery/bar/restaurant on the Landing in downtown St. Louis. She had to work 4-11 last night and I dropped her off at work after we had lunch (about 3:40) They were swamped with customers (Mets were in town for ballgames against the Cardinals and there was some convention going on as well) She was running her butt off all night 7, 8, 9 tables at a time (and one very large group) Neither the expo (the person that checks the ticket versus the tray to make sure the order is correct) OR the food runner showed up last night. She prefers to take her own food out to her own tables, but when they're extremely busy, they use a food runner to move things along.

So anyway...Sarah's coming out of the kitchen with a tray full of EIGHT dinner orders on it. She goes OUT the swinging door, hits a customer that was just standing there blocking the doorway, the tray goes sliding down her arm, she's juggling this tray full of food (she said it was a $130 order) to keep it from ALL landing on the floor, and the seasoned roast beef melt on a hard roll CRASHES (LOLOLLOLLOL) into her eye. :eek: It landed on the floor, everything else was saved. She served the food, in serious pain, not able to see out of her eye, trying not to cry, and one of the people at the table says, "Honey, are you okay, your eye's bleeding."

Sarah's got this big scrape over and around her eye, swollen up, bruised, scratched her eyeball...

I know. It sounds terrible, looks awful, but it's hilarious. ONLY my daughter could get injured by a sandwich! (HEY, she got 12 stitches in her hand once from Kool-Aid, you gotta know this girl)

So she gets some ice, there's people lined up outside waiting on tables. She's holding ice on her eye, taking orders, serving food.

:D :D :D :D

On the up side, she made $350 in tips last night. I think when people asked her what happened and she told them a sandwich hit her she got a few extra sympathy bucks!

Jolie Rouge
08-11-2002, 08:55 PM
sounds like she needs her own "Interesting Life" thread ...

ice-ice baby...

miccit
08-11-2002, 09:02 PM
Your poor daughter! Glad she made good tips though.

Jolie-- I saw that!

eeigh33
08-11-2002, 09:19 PM
what a trooper!!!!!!!!!! no wonder she made great tips...it sounds like she is an excellent server...hope she is alright though...

Gia
08-12-2002, 03:58 AM
:p :p :p ROFL..........{{{{Jaybird}}}}.........:p :p :p

chort1313
08-12-2002, 04:29 AM
I'm with Jaybird, I love your daughter's stories!! Glad she wasn't injured more! :D :D :D

DreamWarrior
08-12-2002, 04:39 AM
12 stitches from KOOL-AID????? How in the world did she manage that????

Hope her eye heals quickly!!!

anarmywife
08-12-2002, 07:44 AM
this just reminded me of something really stupid I did when I was in high school- I was working at kfc and we were really busy one night, well we used these metal tongs to pick up the chicken off of the wire racks, and one night in a hurry I somehow got the tongs stuck in the spaces in the rack, so i pulled really hard and the end of the tongs hit me right in the eye. I had to continue taking orders and serving customers with my eye swollen shut and tears rolling down my face. Hope your dots eye heals quickly!

Gia
08-12-2002, 07:48 AM
{{{anarmywife}}}}...Bless your heart~Sounds painful~

captorquewrench
08-12-2002, 08:12 AM
poor thing. i can relate.

I got a PAPER CUT on my EYEBALL (not just my eye, me EYE BALL) one time.

Don't ask. it was a stupid, fluke thing. I was filling out paperwork on duplicate forms, picked them up to separate at the same time the a/c kicked on and a cowoker opened the back door. Reuslting draft sucked the heavy cardstock right onto my eye.

missymommy
08-12-2002, 08:31 AM
{{{{{Sarah}}}}} hope she heals quickly. Wow, I bet I would have dropped the whole tray.