PDA

View Full Version : Computer problems - HELP !!!

prowler17
08-09-2002, 09:04 AM
Three days ago I was on the funbun site thru their email link, tried to close a pop up & computer froze. Had to shut down from CPU. Once restarted, it was like it had been recovered but I lost no personal files. Had to redo AOL connection, yahoo mes, reset backgrounds, but Norton was "empty" icons. I've un & re-installed Norton 2x, but still problems. I've spent 3 days trying to figure this, got most running, but still have glitches I don't know how to solve. If you can help, my frazzled nerves thank you very much !!

When I turn the system on:
Cannot find a device file that may be needed to run windows or a windows appl. The windows registry or SYSTEM.INI file refers to this device file, but it no longer exists. If you deleted this file on purpose try uninstalling the assoc appl using its uninstall or setup program. If you still want to use the appl assoc'd with this device file try reinstalling that appl to replace the missing file.
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VSHINIT.VXD
press a key to cont.

I press enter & Desktop comes up, boxes pop up saying money express is unable to start, pagekeeper unable to load resources, & Norton antivirus was unable to start email protection.

I reinstalled Norton & full system scan said no viruses detected.
When computer is restarted I get:
ALERT: Malicious Script Detected
object-windows scripting host shell object
activity-Run
file-C:\windows\temp\installAurealDemos.js
Action-stop this script(recommended),

I hit ok it closes but continues to come up every time the computer is restarted. I can't get Norton to do email protection & I followed all of their help guides. Now the computer is telling me to reinstall Norton again for the 3rd time.
Also, A:\is not accessible, the system cannot read from the specified device. I go to Run, type in misconfig, & it cannot find it or missing components.

I have no idea where to go from here. Do I need to do disc recovery?

DestinysGrandma
08-09-2002, 11:05 AM
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VSHINIT.VXD I checked on my system It is a virtual device driver. So some of your drivers got knocked off. Mine was updated on 2/16/01 you may be able to get the update from someone.

I did a search and this is what I came up with:

The VSHINIT.VXD is a Mcafee Virus Scan file. It is usually left behind when uninstalling virus scan.

This is another thing I found:

The VSHINIT.VXD is a Mcafee Virus Scan file. It is usually left behind when uninstalling virus scan. So start your regedit and search for it (it is in shared dll's) and remove the reference (and the one to vshield)..... I would not recommend this unless you backup the registry!!!!

You said you had norton so this driver might be from an on-line scan you had done, mine is.

Hope that helps until the resident pc expert shows up!

Also found this:

This is the virus shield initialization driver for McAffe antivirus program. To fix the error just reinstall it and then run the uninstall from within the McAffe program itself. This will fix the Vshinit.vxd error. Or you can play with your registry and get rid of it that way. Your choice.

you can download it at:
http://www2.driverguide.com/uploads/uploads6/12905.html
then you must take the file and place it in c:/Windows/system/

I tried the link and so far the page won't open!

Ok here is the correct link you have to join to get downloads
http://www.driverguide.com/

prowler17
08-09-2002, 12:48 PM
My HP came with McAfee, but it failed me earlier this year when the system crashed from a virus. Best Buy fixed it & I bought Norton.

Did a search for McAfee, opened it and it is completely empty.

DestinysGrandma
08-09-2002, 02:38 PM
It looks like you may have to reinstall mcafee and then uninstall it thru control panel>add/remove programs to fix the system. I'm sorry I couldn't help more. Hubby just got home from work so I gotta go!

lisahiser
08-09-2002, 06:35 PM
Well you should just be glad that your hard-drive didn't crash!
that is what happened to mine over the weekend! and my computer is only 1 year and 4 months old! THANK GOD for computer geeks! my lil sis has a friend that works at the local internet place here and he looked at it and told me my hard drive was gone. I freaked! so he called the company that makes the hard drive found out the warrenty on it ( I had no clue it had a seperate warrenty) and they sent him a new one by Monday! OH I WAS SOOOOOOOO HAPPY! he only charged me $20 to fix it plus he gave me a few things like windows xp and norton....we had mcafee but shhhhhh-lol plus he gave hubby the expansion set for his diablo game..... what a nice boy huh! I tried getting a job there but he said that they weren't hiring, I told him I would even answer the phones for miminum wage but no go! oh well at least I tried! I haven't installed the windows xp yet cuz I am scared of it and I like my windows me. anyways just be glad it wasn't your hard drive!-lol
Hope you get your computer back to normal!
I know I went NUTTS without mine!