PDA

View Full Version : Ceramic tile question for those realty/property apppraisers?

kidzpca
08-03-2002, 03:57 PM
All this week we have been having our entire main floor ceramic tiled. A full 1100 square feet of tiles that are 12 inch by 12 inch.

Just curious as to an approximate property value increase this may add to my home.

By the way this includes the Living Room, Dining Room, Hall, Kitchen, Bath and Three (3) Bedrooms.

Just curious...;)

jaybird
08-03-2002, 05:03 PM
I asked a friend who is a realtor and she said it would improve the value of your home over worn carpeting, but ceramic tile in some homes she's sold has been more of a 'minus' than a 'plus.' A lot of people don't like it in the kitchen because anything you drop is going to shatter into a gazillion pieces, it is slippery in a bath and the floors are much colder than carpeted floors and far less comfortable to lay/sit on. Families with children particularly seem not to like it. She said most of them were concerned about safety issues with the kids, slipping, falling and hitting their head, etc. Some of her prospective buyers absolutely refused to even look at homes with ceramic tile throughout.

On a personal note, one of my day care parents built a new home. They installed ceramic tile in the kitchen. While they were moving in, their 3 and 5 year old boys were messing around. Zach (the 5 year old) went running from the dining room into the kitchen, slipped and broke his thigh bone. Was in a full body cast for 8 weeks.

SO PLEASE if ya got little ones, don't let them RUN. Particularly in their socks!!

((I personally like tile - just didn't put it in my kitchen because I'm ridiculously clumsy and would have to eat off of styrofoam!))

Are you doing the work yourself? I tiled my foyer with 12x12's and it was a piece of cake. Great fun! But then it's only a 3x5 area too!

kidzpca
08-03-2002, 05:43 PM
I have a professional doing the work for me.

Thanks for the incite.

Hopefully my kids will not "horse around".

kidzpca
08-04-2002, 06:10 AM
I'm having this done for ease of cleaning (daughter's illness nearly requires it), keeping alergies at bay and avoidance of wear and tear like carpet, linolium etc.

cpbaby
08-04-2002, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by kidzpca
I'm having this done for ease of cleaning (daughter's illness nearly requires it), keeping alergies at bay and avoidance of wear and tear like carpet, linolium etc.

I can see why you are doing it then. Did you think about having the hardwood laminate put down? Its just as easy to clean and "warmer" than tile. I hope your daughters allergies get better. I have a cousin whos house has NO window treatments or carpet and they vaumn and dust twice a day, everyday because of her sons allergies.

kidzpca
08-04-2002, 08:22 AM
I thought about the laminate floors for the bedrooms but they aren't sturdy like ceramic tile. Look at sample in Home Depot, Lowe's and the like and you will see it is primarily pressed board.

Laminate floors look good on the outside. But internal construction is poor.

I know some people feel that Ceramic Tile is "cold" but actually it isn't. One just has to wear socks, slippers as one should anyhow. Just gotta make sure it is non slip.

Princess of Power #1
08-04-2002, 08:30 AM
Make sure they give you a box or 2 of tiles. In case one gets broke or chipped. It's better to have it on hand, then have to match it up later.

kidzpca
08-04-2002, 08:43 AM
Thanks for the info. Yes I'll make sure to save a few boxes.

I JUST WISH THEY WOULD FINISH. THEY HAVE BEEN WORKING SINCE WEDNESDAY AND LOOKS LIKE A COUPLE MORE DAYS OF "HIDING IN THE BASEMENT " AND ONLY VENTURING OUT AT NIGHT. Hmmmmmmmm...........:eek: :eek: :eek: