PDA

View Full Version : need some ideas for ROAK for Christmas

hhallam
07-30-2002, 10:54 PM
ok guys I need your help even though Christmas is not for a few months I have been thinking about doing some ROAK's around Christmas mainly for the little ones. mainly for the ones that can't afford to buy things for the childern or whatever the cirumstances are. I'd like to get started sometime in say November so that way I know it will get to its destination before Christmas. but the part I have not figured out yet is how to go about doing this, (I want the people who need it most to benefit from this) I know we can all use the extra help sometime but well you know. I have thought about doing 1 ROAK a day with people emailing me telling me of someone who needs it the most, but then again I don't want to know everyones life story (not to be rude there but something may get out that they didn't want out or something along that line) I know that there are special things in different communitys that help families out during this time as well, I have done this for the last few yrs. and to see the kids that other wise may not have gotten anything at all jsut light up is more that a million dollars. I also know that some families get this that really don't need it and it really could have went to someone else that could have used it(and really don't want that to be the case here). also people have the tendency to be very picky even though they need it or think they do they still get upset if there childern don't get something as nice as some one else. all items will be NIP and suitable for the age of the child. I wouldn't send something to a 2 yr that had a lot of teeny tiny pieces that they could swallow. I am wanting everyones thoughts that could help out, from if this is a silly idea to things I might try to make it fair for everyone or just plain out suggestion. Everyone is creative in their own way and right now I just can't get very creative lol. The people that do get the ROAK's for christmas won't have to pay shipping or anything like that. It is totally free for them and a gift. (hopefully I will still be in a postion where I can do this at christmas should be but you can never tell) I hope this doesn't offend anyone with what I am wanting to do. please let me know what you all think. thanks in advance

miccit
07-31-2002, 04:38 AM
I am still computer jargon illiterate-- What is ROAK and NIP?

Mikaela
07-31-2002, 04:43 AM
I dont know what roak is, but NIP is ( new in plastic ) and fyi, NIB is new in box teehee and SIP is sealed in plastic etc...
:confused:

smeans
07-31-2002, 06:36 AM
thats thoughtful of you.{{{hhallam}}}

if youre like me you have a notebook or something sitting pretty close to your puter. if i were you id just kinda make a note when you see on the boards that someones having a hard time. then just kinda watch to see if they post anymore from now til then. just my opinion.

that way you wont have people bombarding you with requests ya know? well ill try to think of more later.

odyssey
07-31-2002, 08:12 AM
ok I like the idea, what I don't think is good is having the publicly out. You may get false info. Yes people do that for the kick. I think you should just watch and read the boards to member posting about important needs on tight budgets, ones with no means of having a Christmas present for a child.

miccit
07-31-2002, 08:56 AM
Thanks for the definitions. I am so computer jargon illiterate.:)
I think it is very nice that you are doing this, but Odyssey has a good point.

mmcarter67
07-31-2002, 09:11 AM
Not sure if this is something you could do safely where you live but our family buys things for two or three families that need help and then wuthout anyone knowing who it is we go around on christmas eve and deliver the items. My father dresses up as Santa. GOod ways to fingd out who needs help is by going to talk to the teachers at the school.

miccit
07-31-2002, 09:17 AM
My Girl Scout troop adopts a family every year. There are a lot of places out there (including your local schools) that can tell you who needs help.

~MK~
07-31-2002, 10:29 AM
What about taking items to local homeless shelters or group homes for the disabled? :) I used to work in a group home, and you will never find a more grateful bunch of people. Most of them don't have any family and you can both feel good.:)

odyssey
07-31-2002, 10:36 AM
that's is true on what MK said, take it to the local shelters and churchs, they have a need in the winter for everything. You save on shipping charges, you get to maybe see the joy of a person's face when they receive the things.

mrs.john
07-31-2002, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Machande_Kennels
What about taking items to local homeless shelters or group homes for the disabled? :) I used to work in a group home, and you will never find a more grateful bunch of people. Most of them don't have any family and you can both feel good.:)

Great idea! I work in a group home and things like that always mean so much to these wonderful people:D You might want to check with the battered women's shelters, too. Unfortunately, there's always lots of kids there.

hhallam
07-31-2002, 02:53 PM
Thanks to everyone that has givin me some suggestions:
I know how the shelters apperciate it and everything my hubby is a manager of a local resturant and every year for Thanksgiving and Christmas he goes to the different homeless shelters and invites them up to eat for free and then on the other holiday he goes to the womens shelters, and the other shelters in our area and invites them for dinner, may not be much only a buffet but at least he tries lol. Last yr me and my kids did a huge toy drive for one of the communities up north from us because the main employer up there shut down and it left just about everyone without a job, and I do team up with various resturants and stuff to help in the communitys. I helped one lady that was a caseworker by donating some stuff that she later handed out as rewards to the kids (which they were not excepting) and they were so thrilled. My church does things on a small scale because we are so small but it is a good thing to try to help out where you can. I just thought since I have seen several differents ones here on the boards and stuff that seem to be going through hard times right now (and I know how that is that is the story of my life well at least the last yr. but I won't bore you all with that). that maybe I could do something for the ones here on the boards that could use.

freeluv
07-31-2002, 05:49 PM
I can see both sides of the story. The shelters(like the battered women's shelter I work at) always are in need of gifts and they rarely ever get those "gifty" kinds of items since the majority of donations are food and clothing, so those kids don't really get "presents" like some kids do, but I also think it is a great idea to help out our BBS friends! There are so many here that could use it, but it is how to determine if they really are in need. I guess it all comes down to you can't really tell, so a little trust would be involved. I know that is hard, but if someone feels the need to steal a present from a child by lying, then there is nothing you can do to stop them.

One suggestion, maybe you could ask for a card or picture in the mail from the child. It doesn't have to say, "please give me a gift", more like, "Hi, I am so and so, here is a picture for you, nice to meet you." The parents who are having a hard time could have the kids send you a card or a picture and include the sex, age and return address so you can send an appropriate gift and if you don't choose them, the kids won't know the difference(they LOVE to send mail) and you have something to remember the kids by that you sent a gift too! Just a thought!
If you need any help with this, plmk, I am more than willing to do what I can!
Kara :)

Princess of Power #1
07-31-2002, 08:12 PM
If you would like help on this, I'm free and on the board alot, and read most everything.

Queensown
08-10-2002, 01:25 AM
That sounds so nice of you! I know you'll find lots of deserving people if you just keep your eyes open =)

Wish I had some advice for you, but I've never done anything like this online before. My Husband's Baseball team and us wives every year pick a needy family in the community and go out and buy them TONS of presents (we try to get useful stuff plus some gifty fun stuff) and the fixins for a real nice christmas dinner. We spend a fun evening wrapping the gifts, and enjoying each other's company, and then deliver the stuff Christmas Afternoon. We all enjoy this more than a traditional party, and it's so fun to see the kids (and often the adult's) faces light up when they see what we've brought.

Good luck!