PDA

View Full Version : Question about kids..

miccit
07-30-2002, 10:43 AM
Would you let your in-laws take your 4 children (ages 4,6,8,and 10) for a week on vacation and put the kids in a tent by themselves while the IL's sleep in a brand new fifth wheel (that sleeps 10)?

I don't think this is safe and my IL's think I am being unreasonable. With all the stuff going on right now with kids in general my DH and I do not feel comfortable having our kids by themselves in a tent in a national forest.

What do you think? Am I being unreasonable? I told my DH that he had better make sure his mom understands that the kids either stay in the fifth wheel with them, or someone stays in the tent with them, or the kids don't go. He agrees with me.

tina z
07-30-2002, 10:44 AM
After all the kidnapping stuff going on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO WAY!!!!!!!!!

Angelseyes28
07-30-2002, 10:49 AM
OH H*LL NO!!!!! I'm sorry but if the travel trailer sleeps 10 then either my kids would be sleeping in there or they wouldnt be going...end of discussion. I may sound like a witch but this is how i feel. My kids would NOT be made to sleep in a HOT tent when they could sleep in an airconditioned travel trailer. And the safety factor is a WHOLE different ballgame.......Jeez havent your inlaws been watching the news lately?! :confused: sorry dont get mad, this just burns my butt that they would think no more of your kids than this!

dcut4
07-30-2002, 10:52 AM
nope, not unreasonable at all. My kids would either sleep in the 5th wheel with them or not go period! My kids have a tendancy to get up and go to the potty at night, can you imagine any of your kids getting up and wondering around in the woods alone??? adults will wake up if they hear something, and you can lock the door on a 5th wheeler..not so on a tent. Nope, no way would my kids do it!!!

Whats the point of taking the kids along if they don't want to even sleep with them??? At least your hubby agrees with you on this.

miccit
07-30-2002, 10:53 AM
That is my theory on it to. I think they are afraid the kids will make a mess in their new fifth wheel. My question is why did you invite them?? My four year and six year old get up at night and sneak into my room to sleep. What would happen if they were outside by themselves? They would get lost!

Of course, this is the same woman who doesn't see anything wrong with leaving my four year old in a movie theater while she takes the other kids to the bathroom. Go figure!

If she were older I would think she was senile, but she is only 54. I guess it is just stupidity!

Angelseyes28
07-30-2002, 10:57 AM
Ok after reading your last reply miccit I have to say that my kids would be going NOWHERE with them. If she is willing to leave a 4 yr old alone in a theater to take the other kids to the restroom then she isnt responsible enough to take your kids anywhere.....again dont get upset this is JMHO.

miccit
07-30-2002, 11:00 AM
What floors me is when DH was little she wouldn't let him or his brother out of her sight.

I am hoping DH can talk her into letting them stay in the fifth wheel. The kids will be so upset if they don't get to go and of course you know how kids think. I will be the bad guy, not Grandma.

Just glad DH is backing me up on this. Used to be he thought mommy was perfect. As he gets older and looks back on things, he has seen how she really is.

Thanks for all your advice.

Widgetsx3
07-30-2002, 11:01 AM
I don't think so! If the trailer sleeps 10, and only 6 are going, 4 of which are kids, room is not a factor. I would have a fit if I found out this was the plan. And sorry to the kids, but if that is the case, he!! no, they are NOT going.

And I too just read the last post by you. No way would they EVER be going anywhere alone with Grandma......Me thinks the woman is 5 beers shy of a six-pack....a handfull of fries short of a happy meal...and just plain not all there!

Angelseyes28
07-30-2002, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Widgetsx3
Me thinks the woman is 5 beers shy of a six-pack....a handfull of fries short of a happy meal...and just plain not all there!

I couldnt agree with you more!!

Widgetsx3
07-30-2002, 11:07 AM
Also, age has nothing to do w/ senility. Both my grandparents on my father's died died of Alziemers (sp) neither were over 60.

miccit
07-30-2002, 11:10 AM
You are too funny!! We have had to have several chats with her about what is appropriate and what isn't. Maybe one day she will get it.

miccit
07-30-2002, 11:12 AM
I wasn't saying you were funny Widget. I know alzheimers can hit at anytime. My Grandfather had it. I am sorry your grandparents had it also.

I don't think she is senile. She is just very selfish. She is the lady who yelled at me for spending $350 on Christmas for 4 kids. She is a wacko, but she co-signed my home so I have to deal with her.

I told DH that I am not taking care of her when she is old. Let his brother do it. I have done my penance with her!

kelblend
07-30-2002, 11:14 AM
just wanted to tell you that you are not wrong for not wanting them by themselves in a tent. ----geesh does that woman have a brain cell regarding this???

tina z
07-30-2002, 11:14 AM
Ok after reading your last reply miccit I have to say that my kids would be going NOWHERE with them. If she is willing to leave a 4 yr old alone in a theater to take the other kids to the restroom then she isnt responsible enough to take your kids anywhere.....again dont get upset this is JMHO.

I agree!!!!!!!!

You are too funny!! We have had to have several chats with her about what is appropriate and what isn't. Maybe one day she will get it. She really won't get it. MY MIL is the sme way!!

miccit
07-30-2002, 11:17 AM
I told DH that when I become a MIL to whack me in the head when I do something dumb! ;)

Widgetsx3
07-30-2002, 11:34 AM
All I know Miccit, is that I would keep a real close eye on her where my kids are concerned. I watched my Grandma go from being a little "off" to being unable to care for herself (Let alone 4 kids in a forest) in a little under a year. There is no way in God's name, I would allow her to take my kids anywhere alone. IMHO

And I know you weren't laughing at the senility thing. I figured it may have been the earlier comments.

miccit
07-30-2002, 12:25 PM
Just wanted to make sure you didn't think I was laughing at the senility. I didn't want to hurt your feelings.

I really just think she is selfish. She says it is cause there won't be enough room in the fifth wheel. Yet, she took BIL and two of her friends and they all stayed in the fifth wheel. And I know 3 adults take up a lot more room than my little kids. She doesn't want them to make a mess in her nice fifth wheel.

ckerr4
07-30-2002, 03:55 PM
I think I'd just tell her no, period. The kids are suddenly feeling ill. You have a funeral to attend for your Uncle Ethelbert 2 states away. The fair's coming to town. Isn't it still tornado season? Hurricane season? Baseball season? Lol, be creative, find an excuse. I think she might tell you that they can sleep in the 5th wheel, and them put them in the tent anyways. And you would be mad, and wouldn't be able to do anything about it because it would be after the fact. So be proactive;)

miccit
07-30-2002, 04:24 PM
She wouldn't put them in the tent and tell me they slept in the fifth wheel cause she knows my 8 yo (aka the Informer) would tell me.

This is going to sound so bad-- I really want them to go somewhere anywhere just so I can get a break. I have never in the 10 years I have had children had more than a day away from them. Don't get me wrong I wouldn't send them if I think they won't be safe. But, just think of what I could accomplish in a week. Rooms would be clean (and stay clean cause they are taking IT WASN'T ME with them), laundry wouldn't be all over the laundry room floor, there would be toilet paper in the house (I think they eat it I really do), I wouldn't go through a gallon of milk a day (and I always find out it is gone when I go to put some in my coffee), and I could sleep (with no one climbing on me or trying to wake me up Oh scratch that the DH is staying!)

Nope, they'll probably be here with me. Where I know they will be safe unless I snap and go postal!!;)

jamrsc
07-31-2002, 06:21 AM
Heck no!! There is no way I would let anyone take my kids and make them sleep in a tent by themselves. I was even a little scared to let my 5 1/2 year old sleep in the tent with my 25 year old sister in my sister's backyard, which is in the middle of nowhere!! I always know where my kids are and what they are doing. I don't take any chances with anything. Call me paranoid, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Yellow_Rose
07-31-2002, 08:22 AM
I agre with everyone else,I wouldn't let them either,Im sure they can squeeze them in there if not,then I would just say I'm sorry they can not go

miccit
07-31-2002, 08:50 AM
My husband is sitting down to talk to his mom about this tonight. I don't think it will do any good, but he says he has to give her the chance to change her mind about where the kids will sleep. I don't think she will change her mind and I don't trust her not to lie and say one thing and then do another. But, I will hear her out.

DOOFIS
07-31-2002, 08:55 AM
It would be nice to have a break but what kind of break would you be getting if you were worrying about them the whole time? It would be more stressful for you. I know I wouldn't let them go.

Jcowgirl77
07-31-2002, 09:04 AM
I dont blame you one bit first of all if there rv sleeps ten then they should put the kids in that
i am `totally on your side

miccit
07-31-2002, 09:14 AM
Doofis-- You are right. Of course, I would worry no matter what. I call them twice a day when they spend the night with their grandparents.