PDA

View Full Version : Help with student loans

cpbaby
07-24-2002, 02:46 PM
OK, after MUCH time spent in denial, I am finally ready to admit I need to take out a student loan so I can finish school in December.

I need help, please. I am looking at a Stafford loan. How do I go abotu applying for one of these loans? How do they determine who qualifies and who doesnt? How much can I get?

I believe I will need about $7500 to get me from September to the end of January. This will give me a touch of leeway to find a job.

Any help is appreciated EMMENSLY!!!

TIA!!

Lasher
07-24-2002, 02:47 PM
http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/

go here it's were u apply for stafford,pell, perkins, all on one app.

ckerr4
07-24-2002, 02:51 PM
I *think* that you will probably have to have a couple of different loans/grants to get that much for the year, but they could have changed the guidelines since I took out my last loan. In fact, I just PAID my last one off (WOOHOO!!!). The Stafford loan is determined by previous year's income, and is owned by a financial institution or by hte university itself. It (the loan) can be sold, so it may go through several owners. The good thing is that the interest rate can never go too high, so even if it does increase, it will only increase slightly, and you won't have to begin repayment of the loan until 6 months after you graduate.

Good luck!

Lasher
07-24-2002, 02:54 PM
stafford loans are guaranteed to all students now, no matter what your income is, pell grants and perkins are determined by finacial need, you can make 100,000 a year and still get stafford loans, it erks me to know end, but that's the way they do it.

erniemarie
07-24-2002, 03:02 PM
to get that much you are going to have to take part in a subsidized stafford and part in an unsusidized stafford, there is a maximum amount you are allowed per year is a subsidized stafford and that amount varies demending enrollment status (fulltime or parttime), the remainder of your need can be met with an unsubsidized stafford which has a greater maximum loan amount

cpbaby
07-24-2002, 03:29 PM
SO what I really need to do is go talk to my finacial aid guy aid see what he has to say, right? Abotu how long will it take to get the money once the loan goes through? Does anyone have any idea?

The reason I ask is my Unemployment runs out the first of September, so I need the loan to show up fairly quickly after that. I plan on making all my house payments up to January, my phone bill, and paying ahead on my lights and water so I wont have to worry abotu things like that.

Lasher
07-24-2002, 03:35 PM
cp,
no matter what your finacial ad advisor says for any federal grants or loans you need to fill out that app, it's better to go ahead and get it done, it only takes about 15mins, all you needs is your taxes from last year.

It won't take long for them too approve it, and they will let you attend classes on anticipated aid, and give you emergency loans against if your money is not there before classes start.

cpbaby
07-24-2002, 04:22 PM
Wel, see, Ive already filled out the FAFSA, so now what do I need to do? Can I revise it?

I feel very stupid today.:(

Lasher
07-24-2002, 04:25 PM
oh yea no big cp, go to the site there is a button for revisions, trust me you're not the first, you'll need you're pin they sent you, if you don't have it ask for that first they'll mail it again, won't take long.

it's no big, my first two semesters, I went on anticipated aid, my money ddidn't actually hit the account until mid-terms.

cpbaby
07-24-2002, 04:36 PM
Ok, I am printing out my revised FAFSA now. HOPEFULLY I can get something. If not, I will probably lose my house and the orthodontist will reposses my oldests braces. I know that sounds funny, but if you had seen his teeth before we started treatment, youd understand why it was necessary.

Lasher
07-24-2002, 04:40 PM
(((((((((CPBABY)))))))))))