PDA

View Full Version : Jolie/everyone, need food ideas!!

dcut4
07-24-2002, 11:57 AM
my neighbor who is only 34 just had a liver transplant last night. I know it will be awhile before she comes home and when she does I want to take some food over to them, maybe a few times a week even. They have a teen, preteen and toddler. So what are some ideas to take over? I thought of lasagna (everyone likes that right??) and a cake or brownies but what are some other ideas..I really don't know their taste in food so I was trying to think of stuff that most people like? ideas anyone??

captorquewrench
07-24-2002, 11:57 AM
a simple casserole might be a good idea.

dcut4
07-24-2002, 12:17 PM
I thought of a casserole too, but what kind?

~MK~
07-24-2002, 12:17 PM
Tuna casserole, beef stroganoff, a meatloaf with augratin potatoes perhaps.

I would just like to acknowledge what a kind thing you're doing for your neighbor. :)

Jaidness
07-24-2002, 12:24 PM
maybe chili and cornbread?Mac and Cheese and a salad? Mac and cheese is like one of the best comfort foods(my opinion)

annie169
07-24-2002, 01:33 PM
How about tater tot casserole? I'd never had one til someone brought one to me after having my first baby.

Wimzik
07-24-2002, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by Charm174
spagetti casserole and garlic bread - easy for you and even the toddler will like it. Nice of you to do that for them!

I agree! this would be my choice!

intrigued
07-24-2002, 01:51 PM
Most people like chicken casserole. And maybe some kind of potatoes and of course rolls.

missymommy
07-24-2002, 01:54 PM
How about a chicken and rice dish, or a big crock of chicken noodle soup or any kind of homemade soup. My mom likes to get ppl a tray of lunchmeat, rolls, cheese, chips and a case of drinks. That way they have something for lunch for a few days. Any kind of Italian dinner in the oven. Ziti, lasanga, or pizza casserole. You can even make a garlic bread to put in the oven so it will be fresh. Just buy a loaf of Italian bread in the foil, take it out, slice it almost the whole way through but not completely, then add some butter in between and some garlic salt. Stick it back in the foil. Tell them just to stick it in the oven with the casserole while they are heating it up and they have fresh garlic bread.:)

dcut4
07-24-2002, 02:09 PM
Thanks for all the great ideas!!! Now I just have to find out when everyone will be coming home and start cooking!! figure I will put all the dishes in those throw away trays you can buy from the store and wrap in foil, write cooking (or heating) directions on top..that way they can freeze if they get too much stuff at first and they don't have to return dishes.

picklepuss
07-24-2002, 03:47 PM
Spaghetti and meatballs,baked ziti,even some cold cuts and rolls with potato salad.I hope she'll be ok.You're doing a wonderful thing for your neighbor.:)

Queensown
07-24-2002, 05:11 PM
Maybe for a "lighter" meal you could do a big grilled chicken Salad with a bottle of dressing. Or maybe some wheat pasta tossed with little shrimp, garlic and a tad of Parmasian Cheese.

I know if I ate all the things mentioned in this thread I would probably start busting out of my jeans! =)

miccit
07-24-2002, 06:27 PM
My kids like chicken, cheese, pasta and broccoli casserole. It is simple to make and freezes easily if needed.

eeigh33
07-24-2002, 09:42 PM
Chicken Suprise

Sauteed chicken breasts cut in to cubes
Add a can of Rotel type tomatoes
Add one or two cans of Enchilada sauce.

Simmer for a few minutes.

Then add in several cups of cooked rice.

Mix all together and place in a casserole dish.

Crush tortilla chips on top and then layer with cheddar cheese.

I have made this for several functions and it has always been a hit. You can make it spicy or not depending on the rotel and enchilada sauce.

Just wanted to say, that you sound like a great neighbor and friend. I am sure the family will appreciate anything you make for them.

bears984
07-25-2002, 02:38 AM
how about sandwitch stuff that always help and it is easy for everyone to fix for themselves I know after I had surgry I didnt want to get out of bed and it was so much easier for my family everyone from the church brought something and that was in there and soup and they even brought me some frozen pizza's that was also easy for the family to fix baked chicken with a vegie and some rolls is also pretty easy to take boy all this talk of food is making me hungry LOL

sweetthing
07-25-2002, 06:04 AM
Heres a website that offers alot of good choices. I get the magazine and love it!

www.tasteofhome.com

MommyG3
07-25-2002, 06:16 AM
OK, maybe a casserole...but you can NEVER have enough mac and cheese or creamed potatoes. Maybe you can get another neighbor to fix something with you.

tina z
07-25-2002, 08:03 AM
Your frineds are blessed to have such a thoughful friend. I have made pot roasts with beef or pork. One of the best meals we ever had brought to us was pork chops put in a crockpot first thing in the morning and cooked all day with a bit of water. They were not seasoned and they were soooooooooooooo tender and delicious!