PDA

View Full Version : Superstition or real? Have any of you ever heard of this?

Dolly<3
07-23-2002, 10:22 PM
My friend told me she used to do this thing in HS that showed you how many kids you would have, the order you will have them in, and their gender. She claims that she's tried it on a lot of people who have had kids - including herself - and it's always been correct!

This is what you need:
A pencil (A mechanical "worked" on me, but I don't have kids, so I have no idea if this hinders the accuracy.)
A needle (as in, needle and thread)
Thread

This is how you set it up:
Thread the needle, giving yourself enough room to dangle the needle.
Stick the needle in the center of the eraser on the pencil.

This is what you do:
Hold the end of the thread w/your right hand, and dangle the pencil over your left wrist, keeping it still. Take off watches and bracelets, and if you're wearing long sleeves, roll them up.

This is what will happen:
The pencil will start to move. It will move in a circle, and then will go sideways across your wrist or vertical along your arm. It will go in that direction a few times, then start doing the circle again. It will then start over. It'll continue until it's showed you all of your kids. (Each set of movements, either horizontal or vertical is a different kid.)

What it means:
Supposedly, across your wrist means boy, and along your arm means girl.

Example:
If it moves in a circle, then across your wrist, then a circle, then along your arm, then a circle, and stops - you're having/you had a boy then a girl.

So, did it work for you?

I'm just SO curious to see if it works! I did it on my mom, but I have 6 brothers and 4 sisters and my arm got tired! lol It WAS right up until about the 5th.

Has anyone ever tried/heard of this? Let me know if it works!

mesue
07-24-2002, 02:33 AM
A friend and me did this years ago and I think for the first three it was correct and then it went to seven and I made her stop, at the time i didn't have kids but now the three I have match what it said but then I had my tubes tied after my third child since I smoked and didn't want to take the pill and sure didn't want all those kids, the three I have are wonderful but I worry about them and nearly drive myself nuts worrying and can't imagine having more like my friend predicted. Also about the key and the bible to tell your husbands initials works too. I did that one when I was thirteen and sure enough I married someone with those initials.

dramaqnn
07-24-2002, 04:24 AM
I've never tried this one though. When I was pregnant we took a ring and looped thread through it, I laid down on my back while someone held the ring over my belly. The ring swings differently depending on whether it is a girl or boy. Small, tight circles mean boy and big, wide ones mean girl. What's really weird is we tried it with both men and women holding the ring, and it only swings for women. What's even weirder is that it would only swing for women who were able to still bear children. My mother and my friends aunt, both of whom had complete hysterectomy's held it and it just stayed in one spot. It was right though.

badswife
07-24-2002, 04:37 AM
I tried the ring thing when I was pregnant, this woman where I worked said she had never been wrong. Well, she used a piece of my hair to loop the ring through. I was told small circles meant a girl, and back and forth across your belly meant a boy. Well, she swore up and down I was having a girl. Even after the sonogram showed something else. Well, she was wrong! :D

MommyG3
07-24-2002, 05:52 AM
I tried it once, but don't remember what it said. I will go back and do it again. I have 3 kids already and hope to have one more, so we shall see.

sweetthing
07-24-2002, 08:09 AM
Never tried it. Im not having anymore!

Sweetthing

Juggalette
07-24-2002, 08:18 AM
It has worked on everyonee in my family but my drunken uncle lol:rolleyes:

chort1313
07-24-2002, 08:20 AM
I'm not going to try it because I'm afraid!! It might tell me something I don't want to know! NOOOO kiddos here!

Dolly<3
07-24-2002, 11:16 AM
lol No more, huh? It "told" my friend she's having another, a boy, and her husband had a vasectomy!:eek:

ahippiechic
07-24-2002, 11:25 AM
My grandmother did the thing with a piece of my hair and my wedding ring, to tell which sex the baby is, when your pregnant. She was right with my first, wrong on the 2nd, so...................

Raining
07-24-2002, 11:26 AM
im the friend that told eyemandy about the pencil test. ive used it on tons of ppl and it hasnt been wrong yet. im curious about the bible and key thing. how does that get done?

rodona
07-24-2002, 12:00 PM
The way I heard this one is that it works when you're THINKING about a boy or a girl. Swings in a circle for one and in a straight line for the other (I forget which). It works, though.

mesue
07-24-2002, 12:32 PM
im curious about the bible and key thing. how does that get done? [/B][/QUOTE]

You find the verse in the bible in the book of Ruth where she says where thou goest so shall I, your people shall be my people and so forth, don't remember all of it, I'm sure someone else here can tell you what chapter and verse it is. Put a long ribbon on this page to mark this verse attach a key with wide sides , close the bible and keep end of key on that page leaving the top of key sticking out like one would a bookmark. Tie ribbon tightly having someone hold key to keep end from sliding all the way down in bible. Tie the bible like you would a present top, ribbon should make a + form on each side of the bible. Now here is the hard part you and friend should face one another and slide your pinky finger under one side each of the key, the end of the key should stay in the bible marking the verse while you hold the wide end of key, Now say the verse and then ask the question Is the first letter of my future husband's first name start with, A, B C,d and so forth, when you reach the correct letter the bible will twist on the axis of the key and completely turn and usually fall. Then do the same quoting of the verse and question for the middle initial and the last initial. Hope you understand the directions on tying up the key in the bible it sounds difficult but it isn't. Let me know if you try it, and what you get and, if you got any questions let me know, it is hard on your pinky fingers use an average size bible.

Raining
07-24-2002, 12:51 PM
Huh?????

cowgirlup6908
07-24-2002, 01:15 PM
if u use a piece of your hair and a ring over a glass of water...it will clink the side of the glass for each year u are old...so if u are 10...it clinks 10 times...30..30 times...etc...

u use a pice of string and a PLAIN wedding band....hold it over your wrist if u aren't preggie...your tummy if u are....it will swing side to side for a Boy and in circles for a Girl
it kinda pauses between babies or i guess i should say births...it will kinda slow down but not pause for multiples...

i would say it works about 99% of the time...

Raining
07-24-2002, 01:42 PM
The "Huh????" was for the bible key thing. I didnt understand her directions very well

babygirlnoemi17
07-24-2002, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Raining
The "Huh????" was for the bible key thing. I didnt understand her directions very well

ME NEITHER:confused: :confused: :D

Dolly<3
07-24-2002, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by cowgirlup6908
if u use a piece of your hair and a ring over a glass of water...it will clink the side of the glass for each year u are old...so if u are 10...it clinks 10 times...30..30 times...etc...

I was trying this and it didn't really work, but it might be b/c the only glass I could find was a wine glass, and it was too wide. Then, I thought, hmm, I wonder if that'll work w/the wrist thing too.

So I tried it, and although wobbly b/c of the ring, it worked - sorta. It said boy then girl like the pencil did, but then it kept going. :eek:

I'm either having more now, or I confused it. :D ;)

Dolly<3
07-24-2002, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by EyeMandy

I was trying this and it didn't really work...

Oops, I forgot to put water in it. :rolleyes:

mesue
07-24-2002, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by Raining
Huh?????

Sorry, what part of my direction are lost on? They sound complicated but aren't. Have you tried it? Follow the directions and see where you get lost and then I'll know where to start.