PDA

View Full Version : Preschool? Who's sending their kids?

chyna123
07-23-2002, 06:33 PM
I am thinkin about sending my daughter this year she is be 3 in august and she would absolutely love it being around all the other kids.........what do you think?

nooshu
07-23-2002, 06:37 PM
;) I say-go for it!!

chyna123
07-23-2002, 06:39 PM
well I talked to them today and their going to make an appointment to do a screening to see if she has any problems and so forth....so I am hoping she gets to go......

2manykids
07-23-2002, 06:42 PM
I know my son is going:p,it will be good for him, not to mention myself

ChristyH
07-23-2002, 09:18 PM
You should go and talk to the preschool you're wanting to send her to. Some 3 y/o children aren't mature enough to go all day, every day and learn anything, it just turns into a babysitting service and the other kids don't benefit... Also some preschools will only take children who will be going into Kindergarten next year, so you should talk it over with the administrator before really deciding anything or getting your daughter too excited.

Ours is a State Accredited Pre-School, it IS affiliated with our public school. It's 5 days a week 8am - 3pm. It isn't meant to be a day care center, it's to prepare the student who will be going into Kindergarten. They have facility/staff for 20 students and take them based on age (all the 4 y/os go in first and if there is room for 3 y/os then they go in by birthdate.)

Last year they tried to take several 3 year old students, they didn't have the patience to sit thru the classroom type activities because it's all scheduled just like regular school.

My daughter went 2 years ago and she learned ALOT... but then when she got in Kindergarten it was repetative and she got bored until about the middle of the second semester then the rest of the class had started reading and math and stuff and she was happy to be where she left off... I'm sending my son to the same Pre-K this year, he's 4 but he NEEDS this to learn patience and be prepared for Kindergarten next year. I also have a 3 y/o who I'm keeping home one more year.

Many areas have a headstart program which is closer to the day care center program, its 4 hours a day 4 days a week in most places. You have many options to consider if you look around your area.

pookyjo2
07-23-2002, 10:18 PM
IMHO,
Preschool is one of the BEST things you can do for a 3 or 4 yr old.
I taught 3 yr olds (including my DD) last year and WOW!
Of the six kids, 3 were very smart & mature (of course DD was the most intelligent LOL), 1 was smart but painfully shy and 2 were out of control for the entire year.
All six did learn a lot (if it was nothing more than don't beat the he!! out of your neighbor or you're gettin time out!) and they are much more prepared for K-4.
Our school was only 3 hrs per day, 3 days per week, so they got a chance to get used to structure, routine, authority, sharing, listening, etc., without being overloaded.
I am amazed at the progress each of them made.
Definitely check with the school on hours/days, what kind of routine (we had 'chapel time' once a week, plus snack, recess, etc., so we weren't in the classroom for 3 solid hours), how many kids per class, etc. I can't wait for school to start again!!

P.S. To Parents of pre-schoolers: Please look at the work your child does in pre-school. They are really proud of it and 30 seconds of your attention will make their day. Why would they want to listen to teacher when Mommy throws their paper in the back seat and never sees it? Plus, maybe Teacher wrote you a note today .....

kassismom
07-24-2002, 12:32 AM
not me, I have nothing against it but I would rather them stay home w/ me till they start kindergarden,,,,,they grow so fast

~MK~
07-24-2002, 06:19 AM
My oldest is going to go this fall. It's M, W, F from 9 to 11:15. It's also 86.00 a month. :eek: NOT cheap. BUT my grandma is paying for it so who cares?? :D He gets to have fun, get smarter than he already is, and gets out of my hair for 2 hours 3 days a week. :D I say send her. :D

smeans
07-24-2002, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by kassismom
not me, I have nothing against it but I would rather them stay home w/ me till they start kindergarden,,,,,they grow so fast

what she said;)

jamrsc
07-24-2002, 08:01 AM
My daughter went last year to the 4 year old program and she loved it. She is starting kindergarten on Aug. 5th. My 2 year old is going to go to the same preshcool on Tues. & Thurs. for 3 hours a day. I know she is going to love it, because last year I subbed at the school and took my 2 year old with me and she had so much fun.

2chevys
07-24-2002, 09:12 AM
I did what MK did except I didn't send the kids until age 4. They both got about 2 hours of pre-K 3x a week. It was just enough to get them starting to socialize, get use to the structure of a classroom and learn a few rules. I also have a neighbor that teaches kindergarten and she says that the kids who go to preschool are a lot better prepared for school than the ones who enter cold turkey. I didn't find the kids gone 6 hours out of my week too much time away from me. It was a needed break (for them and me) even if it really wasn't time to do much before I had to go back and get them. I wouldn't put them into an all day situation as it just becomes daycare but find a preschool that emphasizes the skills they will need for school.

biagi
07-24-2002, 10:30 AM
My DD (almost 4) just started this Monday. When I picked her up on Monday afternoon, the first thing she told me was that she didn't want to go back to her normal day-care sitter! She said she wanted to go to school every day from now on. Wow! She had been going to one of my friends who watches a few children but apparently she needed more stimulation. Some kids just need more than TV and free-play all day long. [JMHO] :)

Wimzik
07-24-2002, 10:43 AM
My twins went last year(they were 4) and they loved it! it was especially good for my son who was quite shy before, but really came out of it once he started preschool. They only went 2 days a week, for 3 hours, but it was good for them and a nice break for me too.

Aunt2Makayla
07-24-2002, 11:46 AM
AS a pre-k4 teacher and a Mom of a kindergartener this past year, PLEASE send your kids to pre-k. it is absolutely amazing what your child NEEDS to know before K., social skills, basic phonics, attention skills, pre math, and just learning how to sepaate from the parents. I have taught many years and volunteered in the school system in FL. and your child has a major advantage if he or she has had some type of pre-school education.
I taught 3 day 4's for 2 years now and this year I will do the 5 day thing. I make sure that my kids are ready for K.That is my job.Pre-k is not daycare!
Please visit your school of choice and ask lots or questions not all schools are the same. Pre K starts the love for learning.

Also!!! This is very important find out HOW they will teach your child. A 3 year old can not and will not sit for a lecture on the ABC's. Make sure that you visit during the school year if possible and visit just to peek. If they don't have an open classroom. Keep walking.:)