PDA

View Full Version : 3 Teens Accused of Burning Youth

Lasher
07-20-2002, 10:54 PM
Three Teens Accused of Setting Fire to 17-Year-Old in Videotaped Stunt

MIDLAND, Texas July 18 — Three teenagers were charged with dousing a youth with lighter fluid and setting him on fire in a videotaped stunt, and officials said the victim appeared to have taken part voluntarily.

Jonathan Perry, 17, was in critical condition Thursday with second- and third-degree burns over 60 percent of his body. The video was shot Sunday.

Sheriff Gary Painter said Perry apparently cooperated in the burning, but he said the three teenagers could still be prosecuted.

"A person can't give someone consent to violate the law," Painter said.

Casey Tim Owens, 18, and Eva Marie Cedillo and Monroe Rathbone, both 17, were charged Wednesday with aggravated assault and released on $5,000 bail.

Painter said someone on the tape mentions "Jackass," the MTV program featuring a series of strange and dangerous stunts.

"I can't say for sure they were referring to that show, but they were simulating things that are done on that show," he said Thursday.

Several young people have been seriously injured trying to copy stunts on the show, prompting MTV to move it to a later time slot and run disclaimers. Telephone calls placed to MTV's New York offices weren't immediately returned Thursday.

Copyright 2002 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

http://abcnews.go.com/wire/US/ap20020718_1521.html

Okiechick
07-20-2002, 10:55 PM
Dear God!!!!!!!:(

Tasha405
07-20-2002, 11:03 PM
What is wrong with people anymore? I just don't get it. Why would kids want to do this? How can they possibly think its funny? I never in my life wanted to do anything like this. I can hear it now, Hey MOM, I am going over to Bob's house to set Randy on fire, be back later. Where are the parents when all of this is going on. I know you can't watch a kid 24-7 but these kids are big enough to know better. If they are getting it from TV shows, and the parents know they are watching them, then why not cut off the cable. Kids don't HAVE TO HAVE a TV to live. I just don't understand. I hope my kids never get out and do these things.

DeeTee
07-20-2002, 11:44 PM
Another sad story and something the kid will have to live with for the rest of his life. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Ghost Ham
03-05-2009, 01:31 PM