PDA

View Full Version : Sesame Street

ahippiechic
07-12-2002, 05:38 PM
Did any else see on the news tonight that they are getting an HIV positive female muppet? But it's only going to be shown in S. Africa. I saw it on ABC new just now. Wonder why we aren't going to get to see it?

Lasher
07-12-2002, 05:48 PM
I saw here's a link to the usa today story, I'm still not sure how I feel about it, if they handle it right it will be a great thing.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/enter/tv/2002/2002-07-12-muppet.htm

"We want to build hope and address the issues of stereotypes against HIV," Kgame said. "It's about instilling positive attitudes toward people HIV infected."

Story lines for the character were in development, but the show would confront serious issues about HIV in a way that is appropriate for its viewing audience of young children.

"It will have, in a childlike manner, open discussions about sexuality, HIV and AIDS, and death and dying," Kgame said. "The reality is that children as young as they are affected very closely by HIV/AIDS. They experience death and dying of people very close to them."

With more than 4.7 million people living with HIV, South Africa has the world's largest population infected with the virus. Despite this, there is a crushing stigma surrounding the virus in the country.

Lasher
07-12-2002, 06:06 PM
Found CNN's too

http://www.cnn.com/2002/SHOWBIZ/TV/07/12/sesame.street.ap/index.html

In one script being developed, the character is sad because she misses her mother, he said. In another, the character is shunned by children who don't want to play with her because she is HIV-positive, but the other Muppets rally around her.

Children won't be told how the character became HIV positive. Nor will the common ways that the virus is transmitted -- through sexual contact or drug abuse -- be discussed, he said.

"We don't think those are appropriate issues to deal with on the air through a television program that targets children," he said.

Educational materials distributed to parents who request them will suggest ways of broaching the more delicate subjects with their children, he said. The government hopes the show will be a springboard for family discussions.

picklepuss
07-12-2002, 07:42 PM
I don't know about this.The kids are bound to ask sooner or later how the muppet got sick.Then what?I think most of the kids who watch Sesame Street are kind of young to try to explain this too.Not that they shouldn't know,just that they're a little too young to understand fully.I think sometimes they take things a little too far.

Lasher
07-12-2002, 07:48 PM
picklepuss

that's my concern also, but what would you say if you child came home from school and asked you about it?
there is a 6 year old at foley elementary that got ti from a blood tranfusion.

I don't know what I'd say, i'd try my best to explain leaving the sexuality out, if they can pull that off it would be a good thing for them, they face in day in and day out.

I don't know how I feel how it here in the US though.

ahippiechic
07-12-2002, 08:05 PM
I think it's a good thing. I don't think we are ready for an HIV positive muppet here in the states yet, tho. People would freak.
But I do think it would help with some of the attitudes about people, especially kids, who are infected. I would like to see an episode.

picklepuss
07-12-2002, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by Lasher
picklepuss

that's my concern also, but what would you say if you child came home from school and asked you about it?
there is a 6 year old at foley elementary that got ti from a blood tranfusion.

I don't know what I'd say, i'd try my best to explain leaving the sexuality out, if they can pull that off it would be a good thing for them, they face in day in and day out.

I don't know how I feel how it here in the US though.

I have explained to my 9 year old ( I explained it last year when he was 8 ).But most of the kids who watch SS are like 2-6 or so I think.Another thing to think about is...Are these kids going to start thinking that thier stuffed animals have come down with AIDS?How about the ones that have the stuffed SS charachters at home?You know how kids minds work.I mean you only get AIDS in a few certain ways.I know I don't have to explain this to anyone here,I think we all know how it's spread.If not,please educate yourself.But I still think this is too young for them.Kids this age don't need this kind of stress.Let them be kids without having to worry.Also,how do you leave the sexuality part out when that's one of the major ways of it spreading?

Lasher
07-12-2002, 08:35 PM
Also,how do you leave the sexuality part out when that's one of the major ways of it spreading?

That's not the only way to get it, and that's not how the six year old got it, I had more trouble explaining a Valtrex commercial that came on the cartoon network.

I don't think any aspect of sexuality should be explained to a six year old.

I agree kids in the US aren't ready but kids in South Africa are faced with this everyday

an estimated 200 die every year 45 are children.
http://www.avert.org/aidsinafrica.htm

ahippiechic
07-12-2002, 08:36 PM
I think if they're going to do that, they should have a child that has the disease, instead of a muppet.

Lasher
07-12-2002, 08:39 PM
I think if they're going to do that, they should have a child that has the disease, instead of a muppet

I actually think that would be a better idea, but I still don't think it would work here.

picklepuss
07-12-2002, 08:53 PM
Also,how do you leave the sexuality part out when that's one of the major ways of it spreading?

That's not the only way to get it, and that's not how the six year old got it, I had more trouble explaining a Valtrex commercial that came on the cartoon network.

I agree kids in the US aren't ready but kids in South Africa are faced with this everyday

an estimated 200 die every year 45 are children.
http://www.avert.org/aidsinafrica.htm

I know sex isn't the only way to get it Lasher.But some people don't think this way.I have educated myself and made sure my 21 year old son knew about it and I've gone and bought condoms for him.After I bought him the first box I told him he needed to go and get them from now on.This was about 6 years ago.I told him if he was not man enough to walk into the drugstore and buy them without being embarassed,then he was not old enough to have sex.He agreed,thankfully.But how do you explain this to a younger child?I am by no means afraid to talk to my boys about sex and anything else that comes about.I am very open with my kids.If they ask a question,I will answer it and do my very best not to lie or beat around the bush,so to speak.AIDS is a horrible thing and I just wish more people would educate themselves about it instead of act like people that have it are the most disgusting things walking the earth.I worked as a Certified Nursing Assistant and have taken care of people with AIDS.It's a heartbreaking disease and it takes more lives than it leaves.I think I'm getting off the topic and I don't mean to.It's just hard to explain something when you have to type it out instead of just talking face to face.

Lasher
07-12-2002, 08:58 PM
I agree picklepuss I am educated on the subject and it still amazes me when we do the College forums, how little college freshman know. I can have on open honest, and frank dicussion with a college freshman, but I know idea, how I will explain it to my child when the time comes.

btw that's one of the things they do on the "Spit Fire Tour", is go to campuses and talk about AIDS education

picklepuss
07-12-2002, 09:29 PM
I agree picklepuss I am educated on the subject and it still amazes me when we do the College forums, how little college freshman know. I can have on open honest, and frank dicussion with a college freshman, but I know idea, how I will explain it to my child when the time comes.

Lasher,I think your an intelligent person,it shows in your posts.And when and if you have a child of your own,I think they will be a very lucky child.You seem like the type of person who will pull no punches,no beating around the bush.Straight up and center!!That's basically how I am with mine.I mean yeah,I do the Santa,Easter Bunny,Tooth Fairy thing,but that's just all part of childhood.Real life is is real life,and your either straight with your kid or not.I taught both my boys...a penis is what a man has and a vagina is what a woman has.These are the correct names for it.It's not a dookie,peetie,etc..or cootchie,etc...you know what I mean.When you get older and you want to nickname these things..fine.But as long as I have any say so this is the way it's going to be.

ahippiechic
07-12-2002, 09:43 PM
picklepuss- My grandmother bout had a heart attack when my son told her he had a penis! Her comment was "where in the world did you hear that??" She was NOT amused when he said his momma told him, LOL! I think you need to be straight up with your kids. The world fu@ks with 'em enough, parents need to be straight with them.

picklepuss
07-12-2002, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by ahippiechic
picklepuss- My grandmother bout had a heart attack when my son told her he had a penis! Her comment was "where in the world did you hear that??" She was NOT amused when he said his momma told him, LOL! I think you need to be straight up with your kids. The world fu@ks with 'em enough, parents need to be straight with them.

Darn right!!I think half the parents nowadays are too scared to talk to thier kids.Tell the kids the straight up truth!That " wee-wee and pee-pee" stuff is not the way to go.Boys have penises and girls have vaginas.These are the correct terms for them.It's not made up.Tell your kids the truth and they;ll be better people for it.

Jolie Rouge
07-12-2002, 10:59 PM
ahippiechic : "My grandmother bout had a heart attack when my son told her he had a penis! Her comment was "where in the world did you hear that??" She was NOT amused when he said his momma told him, LOL!"

We also taught our son the proper terms - for months he would walk up to absolute strangers; at church, at the store, at the libary ... and ask them "Do you have a penis or a vagina ? I have a penis but Mommy says I can't show you. Do you have a ..... " and he was off ~~~ blah, blah, blah.... It was a little embarressing, but it was really funny to see the range of reactions we got !

ahippiechic
07-12-2002, 11:14 PM
LOL! I know, Jolie! My son had a conversation with a female cousin...........

My son - "you don't have a penis cause girls don't"
girl - "yes I do"
"no you don't"
"do so"
"do not! you got a vagina"
"no I don't don't have a vagina, i got penis if i want one!"

Apparently she told on him, because I got call a few days later about it. They had told her that was her "snatch"! :eek:

ksjayhawkfan
07-12-2002, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by ahippiechic
LOL! I know, Jolie! My son had a conversation with a female cousin...........

My son - "you don't have a penis cause girls don't"
girl - "yes I do"
"no you don't"
"do so"
"do not! you got a vagina"
"no I don't don't have a vagina, i got penis if i want one!"

Apparently she told on him, because I got call a few days later about it. They had told her that was her "snatch"! :eek:

What were they thinking?? her snatch. My 3 yr old calls it her "girl thing" because she cant say vagina but to tell your child she has a snatch:confused:

ahippiechic
07-12-2002, 11:41 PM
What were they thinking?? her snatch.

I used to a have some redneck neighbors, whose children called it WAY worse than that.

Boy, this thread has come along from Sesame Street, huh?? LOL!

Jolie Rouge
07-12-2002, 11:47 PM
I think it is an appropriate use for Seaseme Street to have an HIV positive muppet in South Africa because it is so widespread there. It deals with childrens concerns (being left out; being lonely) on a child's level. Because most of these children at least know (or know of) someone with the disease, the character being a muppet instead of a human actor creates a buffer to facilitate the processing of the information.

ckerr4
07-13-2002, 06:53 AM
Originally posted by Jolie Rouge
I think it is an appropriate use for Seaseme Street to have an HIV positive muppet in South Africa because it is so widespread there. It deals with childrens concerns (being left out; being lonely) on a child's level. Because most of these children at least know (or know of) someone with the disease, the character being a muppet instead of a human actor creates a buffer to facilitate the processing of the information.

I agree. In South Africa, the kids know about AIDS (even if the young ones don't know all the nitty-gritty details) - they see the evidence all around them - but they don't always know how to deal with it. Maybe this will help. It's something, at least.

Willow
07-13-2002, 10:39 AM
I know someone who won't take her kids to Chuckie Cheese because she thinks it's too over stimulating for them. I wonder what she would do if she ever saw a puppet with HIV.

:eek:

2manykids
07-18-2002, 11:02 AM
I dont think its a good ideal.Kids that age are still to young to fully understand alot of things,its one thing to have it on television,but I would rather be the one to explain it to my child if... the question arised, and when they were ready to ask it.

Jolie Rouge
07-18-2002, 01:50 PM
2manykids : I dont think its a good ideal.Kids that age are still to young to fully understand alot of things,its one thing to have it on television,but I would rather be the one to explain it to my child if... the question arised, and when they were ready to ask it.

You do understand this character is being introduced solely in South Africa - where 10% of the population - 1 out of every 10 people (men, women AND children) - are HIV positive ? They are not planning to use this character in their other markets.

MommyG3
07-18-2002, 02:07 PM
I, for one, would allow my children to view the program. Of course, my two oldest are 9 and 11, so they know about HIV. I have told them. I think it will be fine, especially for SA.

anarmywife
07-18-2002, 02:42 PM
I would be more likely to have my kids watch if this was shown here!! They learn a lot from watching educational shows- blues clues has taught my son an amazing amount of things. We cant hide from aids its there and its getting worse, and it seems like a good way to get them used to the idea and also to teach them tolerance- and not to be afraid of another child who is sick. My kids wouldnt understand it but they would be able to get the idea that the child was sick, and i think it would also teach compassion. I am very open with my kids I believe if they are old enough to ask then you should tell them what they are ready to understand. My 3 year old and I have talked a lot about having babies- he doesnt know how they get in there yet, but he knows they live in mommys belly, and he knows where they come out- which is what i explained when he wanted to know why I didnt have a peepee like he did.

ckerr4
07-18-2002, 03:20 PM
I think this is a really good idea. One of the problems in South Africa is the rise in the number of AIDS orphans - many of the kids have no parents vecause the parents themselves have died from AIDS - not only do the kids suffer from lack of parents, they may not even have someone to take care of them and explain everything. There is such a stigma still that often these children are abandoned - given to orphanages, homes. Often, the children are sick themselves. They desparately need an explantion. The kids who should be their friends need an explanation too. This is a start.

alvie223
09-02-2002, 07:16 PM
In regards to some posts I've seen on this topic it's quite interesting. I recently was a counselour at the www.jhaf.org foundation's camp The Camp for Hope and Life. It was for children infected and affected by HIV.

Soon afterwards I saw a blurb about the sesame street character and forwarded onto my friend whose foundation it is. He said that in South Africa it would work, here it would never go over. The reason is because as many of you have said that maybe you don't think it's the right time, place or forum for your children to learn about things.

My friends four year-old G-d-son knows that his G-dfather is HIV+, if we don't talk about it it well manifest even more. I understand not wanting to explore IV drug use or sexuality or just sex in general with young children, but if we don't say to them this is passed thru the blood we're discrediting the knowledge and the awareness of children. It's like many generations where sex was not discussed people learned for themselves. Personally, and this is just for me I'd rather know that my child is aware of potentially risky situations before they place themselves into them. I know for my friends as well as my self, that one intimate partner is enough to make your head spin and fear going to get tested, I grew up with the stigma of AIDS and HIV existing, I'm a child of the eighties, but that doesn't mean anything I'm a human being.

Sorry for going on a bit of a tangent but I strongly believe that we need to be discussing with our children how it's transmitted IV drug use, and sex. It's no longer GRID it hasn't been for almost twenty years, so it's not about homosexuality its about sex. It's all well and good to encourage no sex before marriage but we all know just how unrealistic that is to teach in most cases. But by not discussing it and acting as if the problems of the world will go away if we don't talk about them we're only fooling ourselves, they need to be discussed or we're only failing the next generation.

After my experience at the camp I become aware as to how little these children are aware of HIV even those who are positive. I realize parents don't want to address certain issues but kids are having sex at eight years old; I'd rather be in an awkward state and explain then try to explain to myself why is someone else dead because they weren't educated.

thanks for listening

2manykids
09-03-2002, 08:18 AM
Well said alvie223.My view's have since changed and if my kid's ask I will tell them.My uncle Charlie who was gay died and the family said he died from liver disease not true I found out thru his parner David that it was aids.Why they kept it a secrect I don't know it's not like on-one knew he was gay or that having aids is shameful, because it's not.I just don't understand cause Charlie was with his parner for twelve years.Anyway's thanks for the post.