PDA

View Full Version : Profiling (Yes or No)

angelinwaiting
06-27-2002, 12:48 PM
What blew me away when I read this was the NUMBER
> > > >of terrorist attacks the U.S. has suffered. We
> > > >tend to forget, don't we?
> > > >-------------------------
> > > -------------------------------------------------
> > > >While searching for people that are intent on
> > > >killing us - airport screeners will not be allowed
> > > >to profile people. They will continue random
> > > >searches of 70-year-old women in wheel chairs,
> > > >little kids, airline pilots with proper
> > > >identification, Secret Service agents who are
> > > >members of the President's security detail,
> > > >85-year old Congressmen with metal hips, and a
> > > >Medal Of Honor winning former Governor who happens
> > > >to be one of our greatest air aces.
> > > >
> > > >Let's pause a moment and take the following test:
> > > >
> > > > In 1972 at the Munich Olympics, athletes were
> > > >kidnapped and massacred by:
> > > > (a) Olga Corbutt
> > > > (b) Sitting Bull
> > > > (c) Arnold Schwartzeneger
> > > > (d) Muslim male extremists mostly between the
> > > >ages of 17 & 40
> > > >
> > > > In 1979, the U.S. embassy in Iran was taken
> > > >over by:
> > > > (a) Lost Norwegians
> > > > (b) Elvis
> > > > (c) A tour bus full of 80-year-old women
> > > >ages of 17 & 40
> > > >
> > > > During the 1980's a number of Americans were
> > > >kidnapped in Lebanon by:
> > > > (a) John Dillinger
> > > > (b) The King of Sweden
> > > > (c) The Boy Scouts
> > > >ages of 17 & 40
> > > >
> > > > In 1983, the U.S. Marine barracks in Beirut
> > > >was blown up by:
> > > > (a) A pizza delivery boy
> > > > (b) Pee Wee Herman
> > > > (c) Geraldo Rivera making up for a slow news
> > > >day
> > > >ages of 17 & 40.
> > > >
> > > > In 1985 the cruise ship Achille Lauro was
> > > >hijacked, and a 70 year old
> > > > American passenger was murdered and thrown
> > > >overboard by:
> > > > (a) The Smurfs
> > > > (b) Davy Jones
> > > > (c) The Little Mermaid
> > > >ages of 17 & 40.
> > > >
> > > > In 1985 TWA flight 847 was hijacked at
> > > >Athens, & a U.S. Navy diver
> > > > was murdered by:
> > > > (a) Captain Kid
> > > > (b) Charles Lindberg
> > > > (c) Mother Teresa
> > > >ages of 17 & 40
> > > >
> > > > In 1988, Pan Am Flight 103 was bombed by:
> > > > (a) Scooby Doo
> > > > (b) The Tooth Fairy
> > > > (c) Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid who had
> > > >a few sticks of dynamite
> > > >ages of 17 & 40
> > > >
> > > > In 1993 the World Trade Center was bombed the
> > > >first time by:
> > > > (a) Richard Simmons
> > > > (b) Grandma Moses
> > > > (c) James Bond
> > > > d) Muslim male extremists mostly between the
> > > >ages of 17 & 40.
> > > >
> > > > In 1996 the U.S. military quarters in Khobar
> > > >was bombed, killing 21 Americans, by:
> > > > (a) Monica Lewinsky
> > > > (b) Oprah Winfrey
> > > > (c) Jack Kevorkian
> > > >ages of 17 & 40
> > > >
> > > > In 1998, the U.S. embassies in Kenya and
> > > >Tanzania were bombed by:
> > > > (a) Mr. Rogers
> > > > (b) Hillary, to distract attention from Wild
> > > >Bill's problems
> > > > (c) Tiger Woods
> > > >ages of 17 & 40
> > > >
> > > > On 9/11/01, four airliners were hijacked &
> > > >destroyed & thousands of
> > > > people were killed by:
> > > > (a) Bugs Bunny, Wiley E. Coyote, Daffy Duck,
> > > >and Elmer Fudd
> > > > (b) The Supreme Court of Florida
> > > > (c) Pappy Boyington and John Wayne
> > > >ages of 17 & 40.
> > > >
> > > > In 2002 the United States fought a war in
> > > >Afghanistan against:
> > > > (a) Enron
> > > > (b) Indiana Jones
> > > > (c) The World Football League
> > > >ages of 17 & 40.
> > > >
> > > > In 2002 reporter Daniel Pearl was kidnapped
> > > >and murdered by:
> > > > (a) Bonny and Clyde
> > > > (b) Captain Kangaroo
> > > > (c) Billy Graham
> > > >ages of 17 & 40.
> > > >
> > > >Hmmm . . . nope, no patterns here to justify
> > > >profiling . . . . .

Lasher
06-27-2002, 12:57 PM
I'm a fortune teller now, I predict this poll being pulled.....

I profiling is wrong, but you have to stop and think, I mean if 99 white guys that always wore yellow shirts with green sunglasses, turned out to be serial killers, it's mostly likely the next one is too.

But I don't think it should be purely racial, we've fought to long and hard as a country to get past that...

Widgetsx3
06-27-2002, 01:06 PM
<gets on soapbox> Ok, I think political correctness has gotten TOTALLY out of control. We profile all the time! The FBI does it to help find a serial killer, or child molester. If you don't fit the profile, and have nothing to hide, well then don't sweat it. And the main profile of a serial killer is white male. Do you see all the white males freaking out???? No.

If the profile of a terrorist (see above) is that of a Male muslim extremest between 17-40, I would hope, no better yet demand that the government do a little back ground check on him. Now this doesn't apply to a muslim who has never denounced the US as the Evil incarnate, or recieved money from al queda. But with a little bit of checking that is easily found out.

And one last rant...I don't think that ANYBODY should be allowed to hyphen their background unless they personally came to the US as an immigrant. I believe that anyone that believes in freedom and the right to make something of yourself should be able to come to the US. But, if you are second, third or whatever generation German-American, Italian-American, or African-American etc., drop the first and proudly state that you are an AMERICAN, who happens to be of whatever decent (sp).

<gets off soapbox, and leaves thread>

withnohalo
06-27-2002, 01:37 PM
I'm flying from Vancouver into Detroit then from there into WVa in 13 days and I am not looking forward to all the searches. I will be traveling with my 17 month old son. Last time I flew they went through his diaper bag and pulled out all his baby food. I guess it's ok, but it is funny how the guys who do these acts always seem to slip through the cracks and everyone else ends up paying for it.

Gia
06-27-2002, 01:51 PM
Just popping in to give you Big Big Huggs {{{{{{{{{ROBIN}}}}}}}} Love ya girl~:p :p

CARROLIN
06-27-2002, 02:26 PM
ANGELINWAITING...

THERE ARE ALOT OF MALE MUSLIMS, WHO ARE EVEN IN
OUR MILITARY...THIS IS A RELIGION,... AND SOMETHING LIKE
CALLING A JEWISH PERSON A JEW, AN AFRICAN AMERICAN, A ******,
AN AMISH PERSON, SIMPLE MINDED, ETC.

IT CAME OFF VERY RACIST, AND IT ANGERED ME.:mad:

WHAT EVER BELIEF YOU HAVE, WHETHER YOU CALL HIM,
GOD, OR ALLAH, WHATEVER YOU DERIVE STRENGTH FROM...
IS YOUR PATH.

NO, I DIDN'T FORGET ABOUT THE WARS...
MY HUSBAND HAS BEEN IN THE NAVY FOR OVER 22 YEARS.

IT'S ALMOST LIKE PEOPLE DENOUNCING THE CATHOLIC FAITH...
THIS IS WRONG!!! YOU CAN'T PUNISH EVERYONE FOR A FEW
BAD SEEDS. (THE PRIESTS WHO WERE BAD) (I WAS EVEN RAISED PROTESTANT,
BUT, I DO NOT SEE MY WAY AS THE ONLY WAY)

YOU DIDN'T MAKE ME MAD PERSONALLY, I CARE ABOUT YOU,
BUT THIS SOUNDS MORE LIKE STEREOTYPING, INSTEAD OF
SOMEONE WHO WANTED TO ENLIGHTEN SOMEONE.

WE HAVE A FEW MEMBERS HERE THAT I KNOW OF, THAT WILL TAKE THIS VERY
PERSONALLY. AND YOU HAVE PROBABLY TALKED TO THEM, AND DIDN'T
EVEN REALISE IT. THEY ARE JUST LIKE YOU AND I.

CARROLIN

ckerr4
06-27-2002, 04:46 PM
{{{CARROLIN}}}

You said what I was thinking, what was in my heart.

There have been many other acts of terrorism committed in and against the United States and around the world by people who are not Muslim. Stereotyping is not the answer. If an airport security guard sees a young man who appears to be Arab, and he looks suspicious, then by all means, have him go through normal airport security measures, as should anyone else who looks suspicious. But you cannot always tell a Muslim by looking at a person. And you cannot always tell a terrorist by looking at a person.

Okiechick
06-27-2002, 10:24 PM
Well, I'll probably get slammed for this, but whatever!

I think IMHO this post is in extremely BAD taste!

Enough said. :mad:

MistyWolf
06-27-2002, 10:33 PM
It doesn't matter how old someone is, what color they are, what profession the held or use to hold, or what religion they practice .. our country needs to be careful and continue being careful, and if that means searching someone, than so be it! We don't need another tragedy like 9/11 and must do whatever to prevent another one.

erniemarie
06-27-2002, 10:35 PM
CARROLIN in one post you summed up my feelings on this issue entirely

puts away soapbox since she doesn't need to get on it after all

Okiechick
06-27-2002, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by MistyWolf
It doesn't matter how old someone is, what color they are, what profession the held or use to hold, or what religion they practice .. our country needs to be careful and continue being careful, and if that means searching someone, than so be it! We don't need another tragedy like 9/11 and must do whatever to prevent another one.

This is very true! It doesn't matter if you are white, black, born in the United States or in Japan! WE have to be on alert for everyone!!! EVERY ONE!!!

Carrolin, you are so right!!! Ummm I think I am one that took offense to it. If one thinks that a little old lady in a wheel chair can't be a terrorist, one better think again!

I'll stop now....:(

stresseater
06-27-2002, 11:13 PM
I think the point that is Trying to come out is it is not litle old ladies who are blowing up stuff. I believe it is a terrible waste of resources to contenue to harrass the obviously innocent.(ie men in US uniform with US ID cards,little old ladies ,babies,Ex Vice Presidents) If the people who are doing the checking would stop trying Not to look like they are profiling the "shoe bomber" might have never got on the plane with his shoe bomb.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

jerseybarb
06-27-2002, 11:54 PM
Boy this is a thought provoking thread. Even though my husband is Jewish we have an Arabic surname. Next time we go to the airport we expect to be under extra scrutiny. Not fair? True. But I have to admit that I wouldn't be angry if that happened. But what does worry me is this profiling extending into everyday life. Could Arabs become convienent targets for peoples' hate & fears?

Okiechick
06-28-2002, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by jerseybarb
Boy this is a thought provoking thread. Even though my husband is Jewish we have an Arabic surname. Next time we go to the airport we expect to be under extra scrutiny. Not fair? True. But I have to admit that I wouldn't be angry if that happened. But what does worry me is this profiling extending into everyday life. Could Arabs become convienent targets for peoples' hate & fears?

Barb, could be. I have a VERY close friend who was born and raised in Arabia. He is a wonderful man! Would do anything in the world for you. Since the 9-11 attack, he has been treated differently. I think it's awful! I think I got angry with this post because I feel that it is saying all Muslims are BAD..blah blah blah, which isn't the case. When we start to stereo-type people again, we are creating more problems I believe.

I think every one right now is being watched and watched closely, more so then ever. My Father is COM for Alaska Airlines, and I for one am NOT angry that I will be searched at all, or my baggage will. I am very proud of who I am, I am proud of my country, and I am very proud of what we are doing to make sure that we are all safe!:D

As sad as it is, yes, Arabs are going to be watched more closely, as is others, Americans included. Such a shame that our country has come to this...

flute
06-28-2002, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by Okiechick
I think I got angry with this post because I feel that it is saying all Muslims are BAD..

I think the main point was
Muslim male extremists mostly between the ages of 17 & 40

EXTREMISTS!!!EXTREMISTS :)

see my point anyone ;) ??

Okiechick
06-28-2002, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by flute

I think the main point was

EXTREMISTS!!!EXTREMISTS :)

see my point anyone ;) ??

I stand corrected! Between the ages of 17-40

Thank you Mame!:D

CARROLIN
07-24-2002, 01:30 AM
I FINALLY GOT MY `PUTER RUNNING...

THE POINT IS... MALE MUSLIMS, BETWEEN THE AGES OF 17 TO 40...

WHAT ABOUT...WHITE SERIAL KILLERS? ONLY ONE KNOWN BLACK MALE TO
DO THIS.

WHAT ABOUT JEWISH "JEWING" EVERYONE"??

ONE OF THE FOSTER KIDS I HELPED (WITHOUT PAY) WAS 17 AND HE WAS
WITH ME WHEN WE READ THIS TOGETHER...I EXPLAINED HOW MUCH FUN YOU ALL WERE, AND THIS REALLY FREAKED HIM OUT. HE IS 18 NOW AND SHARING AN APT. WITH ROB...THE OTHER FOSTER KID.

A "MALE MUSLIM" BETWEEN THOSE AGES, AREN'T ALL LIKE THAT...

HE STARTED TO WONDER IF SOMETHING WAS WRONG WITH HIS BELIEFS.

TOOK ME AWHILE TO TELL HIM TO HANG IN THERE, IF THAT'S WHAT HE
TRULY BELIEVES.

CARROLIN

Legion600
07-24-2002, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by kids=stress

I believe it is a terrible waste of resources to contenue to harrass the obviously innocent.(ie men in US uniform with US ID cards...If the people who are doing the checking would stop trying Not to look like they are profiling the "shoe bomber" might have never got on the plane with his shoe bomb.

Two points here:
1. The shoe bomber got on a plane in France. The French don't give a rat's tookus about looking like they are profiling. Searching this guy wouldn't have turned up anything unless they tore apart his shoe.
2. About those men in U.S. uniforms with U.S. ID cards...not all guys in uniform are neccesarily in the military and faking an ID card isn't that hard. And even if they are in the military or former military that doesn't mean they are good guys...look at Timothy McVeigh.
My personal opinion is the same as the head of the FBI's. We will get hit again despite all the precautions.

CARROLIN
07-24-2002, 02:05 AM
YES...

EVERYONE SHOULD BE CHECKED...NOT SAYING THAT, BUT
THE FIRST POST, SHOULD BE REREAD...THIS WAS NOT "PROFILING...IT WAS STEROTYPING"

THIS IS HOW RACISM DEVELOPES.

AND THEN THERE IS "FREEDOM OF RELIGION"

CARROLIN

mesue
07-24-2002, 04:36 AM
Ok anyone should run out of this post flying but here I am. When I read the post I didn't really see the sterotyping or racism in it and I don't recall anyone calling anyone simpleminded ( show me maybe I missed it) As for saying that everyone born here or has become an American citizen should call themselves simply American instead of listing their roots in front of American is not a racist statement. I'm Scot-Irish heritage and proud of it but I'm an American first since I was born here. I think in a sense its slamming America to put your roots in front of it if you are an American citizen. JMO

As for as profiling I think anyone who looks suspicious should be searched but I'm just going to say it like this if the profile of a terrorist was a middleaged, 5'8" overweight woman with a country accent then I wouldn't be offended or surprised to be singled out and searched while traveling. I don't think I would take it personally I would just have to look at the fact that I fit the profile as far as looks goes of people who have over and over committed terrorist acts. I've been randomly picked for everything else except prizes so I'm sure I'll be searched when I travel. Politally correct is one thing but peoples lives are another and I think everyone should just accept the fact that anyone who fits the profile should expect to be searched and should be searched and anyone else who looked suspicious. And if the funds were there and they could do a thorough job I think everyone should be searched not just some but all.

CARROLIN
07-24-2002, 01:47 PM
I AM JUST SAYING THAT THE POST "PROFILING" IS NOT THE SAME AS
AN ADJECTIVE DESCRIPTION OF "EXTREMISTS" IT STATES...

"MALE MUSLUM"...AND GOOFY ANSWERS TO THE QUESTIONS, WHERE AS YOU WILL PICK THE "D" ANSWER.

THAT IS WHERE I GET THE ARGUMENENT FROM.

THAT IS HOW STEREOTYPING AND RACISM COMES IN...DID YOU SEE ALL THE
POSTS MENTIONING ARABS?

I'M AN INDIAN/IRISH MIX WHO LOVES A CERTAIN FREEDOM.

GOD BLESS AMERICA.

CARROLIN

P.S. LEAVE THE "PROFILING" TO THE FBI, CIA AND THE MILITARY.
THIS IS NOT AT ALL IN OUR HANDS.. AND WE COULD WIND UP HURTING SOMEONE ON BOARD.

CARROLIN

DO YOU UNDERSTAND NOW??? ANYONE???

SIMPLE MINDED, AND OTHER BAD THINGS WERE ONLY EXAMPLES TO GET MY POINT ACROSS. LOOK AND READ AGAIN...

Jolie Rouge
07-24-2002, 02:47 PM
In Isreal they started "profiling" - checking and detaining all male Palestinians between the ages of 15 - 55. So the extremists started training and using women & girls (as young as 15) as suicide bombers.

"Profiling" is not the answer.

They know the profiles as well as we do - all they have to do is change the parameters. That is what they have already done. Before Sept. 11, the policy was to co-operate with highjackers, do what they said, learn the demands, negotiate for the release of the hostages.

NEVER AGAIN.

ckerr4
07-24-2002, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by CARROLIN
I AM JUST SAYING THAT THE POST "PROFILING" IS NOT THE SAME AS
AN ADJECTIVE DESCRIPTION OF "EXTREMISTS" IT STATES...

"MALE MUSLUM"...AND GOOFY ANSWERS TO THE QUESTIONS, WHERE AS YOU WILL PICK THE "D" ANSWER.

THAT IS WHERE I GET THE ARGUMENENT FROM.

THAT IS HOW STEREOTYPING AND RACISM COMES IN...DID YOU SEE ALL THE
POSTS MENTIONING ARABS?

I'M AN INDIAN/IRISH MIX WHO LOVES A CERTAIN FREEDOM.

GOD BLESS AMERICA.

CARROLIN

P.S. LEAVE THE "PROFILING" TO THE FBI, CIA AND THE MILITARY.
THIS IS NOT AT ALL IN OUR HANDS.. AND WE COULD WIND UP HURTING SOMEONE ON BOARD.

CARROLIN

DO YOU UNDERSTAND NOW??? ANYONE???

SIMPLE MINDED, AND OTHER BAD THINGS WERE ONLY EXAMPLES TO GET MY POINT ACROSS. LOOK AND READ AGAIN...

I agree. And, who knows what an extremist looks like? Can you tell a religious extremist simply by looking at him (or her)? Sometimes, perhaps. Other times, definitely not. There is a line between profiling and discriminating and stereotyping. In order to protect our country, we need to remember what we are protecting - not only our lives and our safety, but our freedom and our principles as well.

picklepuss
07-24-2002, 04:05 PM
I refuse to post anything else except to {{{{{{{{{{{{ angelinwaiting }}}}}}}.

CARROLIN
07-24-2002, 11:43 PM
YOU ARE RIGHT PICKLE...

I'M SOOO STUCK IN MY OWN BELIEFS, THAT I SIMPLY FORGOT TO
TELL ANGELINWAITING, THAT THIS IS NOT DIRECTED AT HER FOR

POSTING THIS. I DO NOT WANT OR MEAN TO HURT YOUR FEELINGS
EITHER. DID I??? IF SO, CAN YOU FORGIVE ME???

CARROLIN HANGS HER HEAD IN SHAME IF I DID.
POLITICS AND RELIGION DO NOT MIX.

PLEASE EXCEPT MY SMILES AND HUGS, ANGELINWAITING.

lilmeanie43
07-25-2002, 01:04 AM
I see things like this and the fear in me agrees... but then I think of Timothy McVeigh... and really, I think that's pretty clear all on it's own.

shell76
07-26-2002, 12:43 PM
I didn't view this post as being about hate. I agree that it is a waste of resources to strip search old ladies and little kids. If Muslims are offended for being singled out they should not be. It could be a lot worse. Does anyone know what happened with the Japanese Americans when we were at war with Japan? They were put into "war camps".

In some instances profiling is definitely wrong, but think about it for a minute....if there was a report that a crazy white woman in a white t-shirt and blue jean shorts could potentially have a dirty nuke in a suitcase, should the airport security skip over some of the white women in blue jean shorts and instead search some African Americans, Asians, and Arabic people or should they center the search on the crazy white women? It is just common sense. Not racially unjust in anyway. There are prices to pay for freedom. IF I fit the profile of a potential terrorist, I would rather them search me than an 85 year old woman. It would let me know that they are actually doing their jobs of trying to protect ALL OF US!!!!

In the Samantha Runnion case, they were looking for a Hispanic man in a green car, should they not have interrogated all Hispanic men in green cars because that is racial profiling? People need to stop worrying about being politically correct and start worrying about the safety of the American public!

I wish that someone at the airport on 9/11 had been suspicious of the group of Middle Eastern men that paid with the same credit card but split up onto two different planes heading for the same place! But I guess being politically correct was worth more than thousands of lives that day as well.

Dolly<3
07-26-2002, 02:14 PM
Well, I want to know how anyone would know if they were profiling. If you're waiting in line and they pull aside a muslim-looking man, are you going to call the reporters? And if that man makes a fuss, how is he going to prove that they picked him because of his ethnicity?

I think they should pull all sorts of people, but jeez, when they pull Barbara Walters out, that's a little.. uh, stupid. At least until they come out w/a way to brain wash you, or make identical robots. :rolleyes:

Pulling someone like that out is like pulling out your mom or your best friend. You're 99% sure they're not going to take the plane hostage. So IMO, they're just wasting time - not that you don't have pleeeenty of time before your flight. :p

I don't know... I think if people like me were known to be terrorists, I wouldn't mind if they checked me. Be mean to me or treat me differently? No... but check me - sure! 'Specially if he's cute. :D :p

HaveKids,LostMind
07-26-2002, 02:16 PM
***HK,LM drops to her knees and crawls slowly out of this thread before something really hits the fan......***

withnohalo
07-29-2002, 12:11 PM
While flying to West Virginia, I had to stop at Detroit Metro to board a commuter jet. There were only 14 passengers. I had my 18 month old son with me. I was the one singled out. They not only searched everything I had, they went through Jake's diapers and food, they searched all over my body with a wand and made me pull out my necklace. My toddler took off running through the airport. They would not let me go after him. One of the guards said "I will go get him, you watch her." As if I was going to do something. My son was in danger and they treated me like a criminal.
I asked if I was chosen because I had flown from Vancouver, Canada and they said, "No, they picked you because you had a cute face."
Beware if you are flying and have a cute face!! LOL
I am a white American, married to an Asian. My son is half White half Asian and he is American and Canadian. I am not racist but I do believe in profiling. Sorry if that upsets anyone. If people within my profile were doing anything out of the oridnary I expect to be stopped. And I know that ther are exceptions. Some do not fit the profile. But I do not agree with pulling out people because they have a cute face or putting the welfare of toddlers at risk while the guards try to impress people with their authority.

treasurymae
07-29-2002, 01:21 PM
Ok I am 22yrs old ,5ft 4in tall ,about 190lbs, caucasian female.
on my one and only trip to the airport, to pick up my daughter. My diaper bag was searched, Thats ok. I went through the metal detectors holding my 9 mnth son out arms length infront of me like they asked and nothing went off.. Yet the soldiers on the other side asked me to stand still while they checked me yet again and my son who was not thirsty, they wanted him to take a drink of his bottle before they would let us through... INMHO that was a little to far. I could handle everything but that. Trying to make me force feed my son when there was nothing suspecious about me.. I didnt set off any alarms.. didnt fit any profile that i know of..

I guess i've said enough.

mesue
07-29-2002, 10:55 PM
I am not racist but I do believe in profiling. Sorry if that upsets anyone. If people within my profile were doing anything out of the oridnary I expect to be stopped. And I know that ther are exceptions. Some do not fit the profile. But I do not agree with pulling out people because they have a cute face or putting the welfare of toddlers at risk while the guards try to impress people with their authority. [/B][/QUOTE]

A friend of mine had a similar experience her entire family was searched at all three airports each time they changed planes and boarded another, at one airport the youngest child was not searched and not allowed in the room with them but they could see him through the glass, another passenger who had briefly spoken to the child earlier, smiled, reached out his hand to the child and the child went off with him. The entire family was trying to tell security what was going on and they were ignored, finally they let the teenage daughter go when they finished with her and fortunately she found her brother safely on the plane but it could have been a very different outcome. I think these people who are doing the searches should be more aware of childrens safety and parents concerns about such issues and take measures to assist parents when forcing them to submit to a search. After all their concern was that your child running was just a ploy for you to take off unsearched but yet they didn't take measures to make sure that didn't happen, instead they would've probably just shot you for doing the natural instinctive thing to take care of your son. They are going to have to do a better job than what they are doing.

CARROLIN
07-30-2002, 04:16 AM
SORRY MESUE...

EVERYONE NEEDS TO BE CHECKED REGAURDLESS OF THE "STEROTYPING"
FOR OUR SAFETY...LIKE I SAID BEFORE MUSLIM IS NOT A RACE,
BUT A RELIGION, AND SEE WHERE THIS HAS GONE???

I KNEW THIS WOULD HAPPEN, AND WISH THE MODS WOULD HAVE
PULLED IT FROM THE GET GO.

I ONLY APOLIGIZED TO ANGELINWAITING, IN CASE I HURT HER FEELINGS...
I WASN'T BACKING OUT OF MY BELIEFS.

DO YOU NOW SEE HOW MANY ARE UPSET BY THIS???

THIS BOARD IS OUR SECOND FAMILY...AND I DON'T WAN'T ANYONE HURT..
`CUZ WHEN YOU COME DOWN TO IT...NO ONE KNOWS THE OTHER PERSON,
AND MOST REALLY ARE OF A LOVING AND GIVING NATURE, BUT IT IS VERY
PREJUDICIAL(SP) AT TIMES.

EXAMPLE...
WHAT ABOUT PAGANS?
WHAT ABOUT CATHOLICS?
WHAT ABOUT PROTESTANTS, BAPTISTS AND JEWISH PEOPLE?
WHAT ABOUT INDIANS, AND BUDDISTS??? WHAT ARE YOU GONNA
SAY TO RICHARD GERE (HE'S A BUDDIST)? LOL (WINKING)

EVERYONE NEEDS TO BE CHECKED, BECAUSE I KNOW A WHITE MUSLIM, AND
A BLACK MUSLIM, I KNOW A CHINESE MUSLIM, BELIEVE IT OR NOT.

SO WHERE DO YOU GO FROM THERE?

mizjen
07-30-2002, 07:31 AM
The last time I took my husband to the airport, security checked everyone. Even the pilots.

I don't give a rat's patootie what race or religion you are. If someone I love is going to be on a plane it makes me feel better to know that everyone has been checked.

Our airport here did a pretty good job. In the 4 hours I was there, I never saw parents and children seperated, and I never saw anyone treated differently from anybody else.

mesue
07-30-2002, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by CARROLIN
SORRY MESUE...

EVERYONE NEEDS TO BE CHECKED REGAURDLESS OF THE "STEROTYPING"
FOR OUR SAFETY...LIKE I SAID BEFORE MUSLIM IS NOT A RACE,
BUT A RELIGION, AND SEE WHERE THIS HAS GONE???

DO YOU NOW SEE HOW MANY ARE UPSET BY THIS???

THIS BOARD IS OUR SECOND FAMILY...AND I DON'T WAN'T ANYONE HURT..
`CUZ WHEN YOU COME DOWN TO IT...NO ONE KNOWS THE OTHER PERSON,
AND MOST REALLY ARE OF A LOVING AND GIVING NATURE, BUT IT IS VERY
PREJUDICIAL(SP) AT TIMES.

EXAMPLE...
WHAT ABOUT PAGANS?
WHAT ABOUT CATHOLICS?
WHAT ABOUT PROTESTANTS, BAPTISTS AND JEWISH PEOPLE?
WHAT ABOUT INDIANS, AND BUDDISTS??? WHAT ARE YOU GONNA
SAY TO RICHARD GERE (HE'S A BUDDIST)? LOL (WINKING)

EVERYONE NEEDS TO BE CHECKED, BECAUSE I KNOW A WHITE MUSLIM, AND
A BLACK MUSLIM, I KNOW A CHINESE MUSLIM, BELIEVE IT OR NOT.

SO WHERE DO YOU GO FROM THERE?

Carrolin
I still believe that if you fit the profile you should be searched, if you are suspicious in any way you should be searched, and I am sure if I travel I'll be singled out to be searched, if I fit the profile in any way shape or form I should be searched, truthfully I wish they could search everyone and not single anyone out. My point though in this thread was that the people thought the child running away was a ploy for the woman, who by the way was not complaining about being searched, but about safety measures not being taken for his safety in a time that she was being detained to be searched. To me this is not about the issue of hurting someones feelings its about the issue of everyones safety and I do wish they could searh everyone not only to be fair but to be even more safer. I do not feel anyone should be discrimanated against in any way based on looks or religion or for any other reason, but if you fit the profile you should be searched. As for my friend and her family who was searched 3 times they were not complaining about being searched just angry about the childs safety during one of the the searches. They said they obviously fit the profile in some way. As for Richard Gere I would love to search him.LOL

withnohalo
07-30-2002, 12:24 PM
The guards had finished searching me, all my things and my son. They would not let me go after him even though they had finished with me. That made me very angry. They had concluded that I had nothing on me yet still they treated me like a criminal until the point that I boarded the plane. So it was not like I was using my son running away to do something.
I am sorry I used the term racist. I do not know what word to use when referring to another religion, prejudice? Most of our neighbors here are Muslims. The first summer here when I did not have a work permit, I picked berries on a farm owned by Muslims. They were wonderful. I have no problem with them. I love them just as much as I love any other person on this earth.
All I am saying is what do you call it when they target women with small children or pick people out because they have a "cute face". Instead of saying "cute face", what if she would have said "christian"? Should I be offended with either?
I really do not think anyone here is trying to demean anyone else or form a hate group. I think that sometimes we as humans try to turn something that was not supposed to be taken in a negative way as a slam to us or those we love. If we go out looking for racism or prejudice, we are going to find it, even if the statement or act was unintentional or just misunderstood.

CARROLIN
07-30-2002, 10:22 PM
:confused: :confused: :confused:

I WAS TALKING ABOUT THE FIRST POST, AND IT VEERED OFF INTO ANOTHER DIRECTION. I WASN'T OUT TO LOOK FOR ANYTHING THAT YOU STATED. I TRIED TO GET IT AVOIDED.

SMILES TO YOU AND YOUR BABY.