PDA

View Full Version : Birth Control Discussion <Adults Only>

smartkarie
06-13-2002, 02:32 PM
If you are offended, please turn away now! :D

What is your BC method of choice. In the past I've used a diaphram/natural condom combo, but it is lots of work. I can't go for the pill (or any hormonal method) and have a sensitivity to latex.

Just wondering how others combat these issues. :D

kitten5350
06-13-2002, 02:40 PM
Had my tubes tied so we have no worries ;) :p
but omg doesanyone remember the sponge? Hated it...lol

dcut4
06-13-2002, 02:44 PM
when I was nursing and we were deciding if we wanted more kids and didn't want to be on the pill we used the foam......quick , easy and it works very well if used right (apply right before and reapply if having sex again). actually this was our prefered method for over 10 years..just now went back on the pill but more for medical reasons than bc.

Princess of Power #1
06-13-2002, 02:55 PM
and got him neuterd!!!:eek:

jennls
06-13-2002, 02:56 PM
i use that patch (ortho evra)its a new form of birth control. you put on a patch for 7 days then change the patch on the eighth day. you fo this for three weeks and on the fourth week the week of your period you don't wear a patch. heres a link for them www.orthoevra.com. hope this is helpful

mizjen
06-13-2002, 03:01 PM
I have problems with birth control pills, so we use condoms. Sooner or later I'm going to get my husband fixed.

Sha
06-13-2002, 03:02 PM
After my last duaghter coming out at 10lbs. 3 ounces I told hubby either get chopped or turn to a life of NADA!! LOL! I like to share the name of my husbands wonderful surgeon and I have referred many people to him...It has also added some laughs to conversations...Hail to Dr. Jerry Weiner!! LOL!

smartkarie
06-13-2002, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Sha
Hail to Dr. Jerry Weiner!! LOL!

Is this a joke ;)

I'm going to end up pregnant at this rate!?! :D

Sha
06-13-2002, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by smartkarie

Is this a joke ;)

I'm going to end up pregnant at this rate!?! :D

I promise this is not a joke...I live in Manteca, CA...I swear you will find him in the directory! ;)

Mini
06-13-2002, 03:07 PM
theres always the method of socking da hubby where the sun don't shine(not proven but you do get a kick out of it LOL)

smartkarie
06-13-2002, 03:11 PM
I do want to eventually have kids. :)

Queensown
06-13-2002, 03:17 PM
DH and I just plan around my fertle days... But I wouldn't recommend this unless you don't mind taking chances LOL. We're really at the point where we wouldn't "mind" if I got pregnant, but just not really trying either.

Sweetberries
06-13-2002, 03:21 PM
our method of birh control is depo and the foam.we use condoms every now and then.:) :)

Syrinx
06-13-2002, 04:49 PM
I've been taking Ortho-tricyclen for several years now, and think it's great. Besides the fact that hubby and I don't want kids yet, I like it because I don't get bad cramps, or the bad PMS mood swings I had before I started taking it.

cpbaby
06-13-2002, 04:52 PM
I have been on the pill since I was 16(Im now 33) and havent been off of it except for when I was pregnant. (Yes I got pregnant twice while I was on them) This last time has been over 8 years. I have been thinking about getting that new IUD that is supposed to be good for 5 years. I saw it advertised in a magazine and now cant find it again!:(

I dont want to get my tubes tied and he is too chicken to get "whacked".

I am allergic to rubbers and to any thing with nonoxynol-9 in it.

pridegirl
06-13-2002, 05:11 PM
I've never had a problem with pregnancy myself. Just lucky I guess !

(karie made me say that)

cpbaby
06-13-2002, 05:25 PM
Some of us arent as lucky as you PG!!!! ;)

Iluvfree
06-13-2002, 06:19 PM
SmartKarie, I am in exactly the same situation as you are-- I do not want to use hormonal birth control, nor a diaphram, etc. I am considering an IUD.. My friend has one and loves it-- I don't think we have many other options, you know?

smartkarie
06-13-2002, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by Iluvfree
SmartKarie, I am in exactly the same situation as you are-- I do not want to use hormonal birth control, nor a diaphram, etc. I am considering an IUD.. My friend has one and loves it-- I don't think we have many other options, you know?

I know. It sucks. Oh well...:rolleyes: Maybe we should try the foam or "sock"ing (which I originally read as "suck"ing--EEK!!!). :D :D :D

Jcowgirl77
06-13-2002, 06:55 PM
I was on the shot but had gotten prego with my second So for the past year I have been on orth tri-cyclen and it works wonders i dont use condoms because I too am also very sensitive to latex........

Crueheadchick
06-13-2002, 06:59 PM
Trogen-enz
:D :D :D
Dont have kids, Dont want any
LOL @ PG
:D :) :cool:

wingsfan
06-13-2002, 07:02 PM
I was on Depo and it messed me up, now I'm in a trial of Nuva-ring. It's a new BC that will be available later this summer. It's a little ring you insert and leave in for 21 days.

Hubby is getting neutered in July :D:D:D:D so then i won't have to deal with it anymore.

Okiechick
06-14-2002, 01:02 AM
Hysterectomy (complete) at age 21, so I have no worries. And have been married for almost 20 yrs to the most boring man God ever created, so again no worries. My question now is WHAT IS SEX?? I think I forgot!:eek:

nightrider127
06-14-2002, 04:17 AM
Hubby had the snip-snip done.

jamrsc
06-14-2002, 07:03 AM
My doc said that this is not reliable, but our girls are 3 1/2 years apart, so it has worked for us. Our baby is now 26 months, so we are kind of trying for a 3rd. But I would just keep track of my cycles and I always would know when I was ovulating, so we have never had any surprises. I know this isn't reliable if you really don't want kids, as my doc said, "I have seen a lot of babies born from the natural planning method.":D

nooshu
06-14-2002, 07:27 AM

cpbaby
06-14-2002, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by nooshu
I have had an IUD for 2 years and it has been a life saver for me................................................ The only down-fall with the IUD is that my monthly is very heavy now and extremely crampy, but in my eyes it is worth a week of misery. I definately recommend the IUD.;)

The one I read about said it would make your periods lighter, not heavier. I dont think I want something that will do that. I have been on Ortho Tri-Cyclene for the last 8 1/2 years and know I am gonna have to find something else before long because of my age.

rbward9598
06-14-2002, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by Princess of Power #1
and got him neuterd!!!:eek:

Ditto!!!:)

Lioncub
06-14-2002, 09:06 AM
After using 99% of the pills out there and getting pregnant 3 times while on them I got my tubes tied at age 22.

Dragonfairie
06-14-2002, 09:20 AM
We have been going au natural, it took me three years to get pregnant, so I guess we do pretty well. BC pills make me too tired to function, I am an idiot trying to put things in and condoms are a nuisance, sometimes I wish I could get fixed...no more cramps! But hubby mentioned that getting fixed is something he is considering when we are thru.

Lasher
06-14-2002, 04:08 PM
I'm with pridegirl I've just never had to worry about it.

ksjayhawkfan
06-14-2002, 04:58 PM
I use a contraceptive film. Quick easy and no mess:eek:

Angel~Chihuahua
06-14-2002, 06:13 PM
i use the pill.. used to use condoms when i first starting having sex but my boyfriend now and i dont use condoms, just the pill for me.

gonnascream
06-14-2002, 07:01 PM

cpbaby
06-14-2002, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by gonnascream
I got the 10 year IUD. My first one was 11 months old when I found out I was pregnant with #2, so Im about as fertile as garden of eden. The IUD does make me cramp a little more. Also if your guys "root" is a bit on the long side, you might have to get creative with your positions :D Just a little incentive to get kinky.:D :eek: :D

Really? I am VERY EXTREMELY fertile. I can miss a pill and end up pregnant(its happened). Why does the "length" matter?

gonnascream
06-14-2002, 10:51 PM

need4free
06-15-2002, 05:57 PM
That's strange........no one mentioned anal? :eek:

LMAO! I am feeling VERY bad tonight.:p :rolleyes:

cpbaby
06-15-2002, 07:02 PM
But, need4free, you dont NEED birth control if you are doing it THAT way!

ahippiechic
06-15-2002, 07:44 PM
I had 2 5 yr. IUD's & didn't have a problem with them Nice not to have to really think about birth control often. & you can have the copper string trimmed if he has a "schlong and not a willy", LOL!

cpbaby
06-15-2002, 08:08 PM
I guess I need to call my OB/GYN Monday and see what HE has to say about it, huh?

Is it less effective if you are overweight? Certain methods are not reccomended for overweight people.

need4free
06-15-2002, 09:39 PM
cpbaby....I was saying that is/as/was a form of birth control!
:eek: LMAO!

Yasha
06-16-2002, 05:31 AM
Originally posted by gonnascream
But if it's a schlong and not a willy, you may have to be a little carfull

OMG That just cracked me right up!!!

PS I think my Fiance is a 'schlong' ;)

zep0601
07-28-2002, 09:21 AM
That's strange........no one mentioned anal?

hahhahahahahahhahhahhahaha.... good one i was suprised tooo

mwhite
07-28-2002, 09:55 AM
Has anyone ever gotten pregnant after getting their tubes tied?
I am 25 and I have 5 kids!!!*please dont bash They are very well taken care of and we live comfortably* I got mine tied after I finally had a little girl.......
But I am a obsessive complusive about this. I keep worrying that I am going to get pregnant. And so far this month I haven't had a peroid. It usually comes by now.

Thanks
Michelle

Syrinx
07-28-2002, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by mwhite
I am 25 and I have 5 kids!!!*please dont bash They are very well taken care of and we live comfortably* I got mine tied after I finally had a little girl.......
But I am a obsessive complusive about this. I keep worrying that I am going to get pregnant. And so far this month I haven't had a peroid. It usually comes by now.

Thanks
Michelle

Hate to tell you this, but this happened to a friend of my mom's. She got her tubes tied after her third child, and a couple years later went to the doctor because she'd been feeling terrible for weeks, sick to her stomach, etc. His response was, "You have three children and can't tell that you're pregnant?" So it can happen.

But before you get too worried, it could be stress that's making you late. Before I starting taking the pill, my periods would be late whenever I got really stressed out about something (this was when I was in college, so this usually happened around exam times...)

mwhite
07-28-2002, 10:23 AM
I am praying that it is just stress!!! But with my luck......I had tried everything before and still got pregnant. I had been pregnant since 15!!! I don't want anymore!! LOL

Thanks for your reply
Michelle

lisahiser
07-28-2002, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by mwhite

Thanks
Michelle

Well I hate to tell you this but YES!!! I got pregant after I had my tubes tied! Wasnt a very fun experince! It was only 8 MONTHS after I had the surgery!I ended up loosing the baby a few days after I found out I was pregant but ever since then I haven't had a normal period. and the docotors wouldnt even check to see if I was having a tubal pregancy until I threw a fit about it! I ended up having 3 miscariages after that too, But now I haven't had any and still don't have a normal period. It varies month to month on the flow and when I get it. And the big soulution for the doctors was for me to have my tubes tied again! well ummmmm since I didnt have insurance I didn't have it done, and at my last check up they did an ultra-sound to see how my tubes were doing and they said that they seem fine and look like that they are closed. But the DR. told me that he knew a woman that got pregnant 8 YEARS! after having hers done and I about flipped!
But I always tell everyone that birth control never worked for me anyways cuz I got pregnant with my 1st son while I was on Depo-prevara(spell?) and with my second one when I was on Othro, so I figured having my tubes tied would help-lol yah right. but my new doc says that I should just be fine and not to worry about. I do worry sometimes though but "my friend" always ends up visiting me and always at the worst of times-lol

I hope that I didn't scare you but It is the truth! and they should have told you about it before you had them tied. they sure as heck didn't tell me. they just told me that it was 99% effective.:rolleyes:
:eek:
I guess I will always fall into that 1% chance on anything- too bad I can't win the lotto!-LOL;)

prowler17
07-28-2002, 10:30 AM
I used an IUD for years, thought it was great.

mwhite
07-28-2002, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by lisahiser

I guess I will always fall into that 1% chance on anything- too bad I can't win the lotto!-LOL;)

Well I am right there with you. Always the 1%
You didn't scare me anymore than what I have already scared myself LOL;) I just can't stop thinking/worrying about it. I guess I will be making an appt with the gyn to check things out! I just hope to god that I am not Pg. As much as I would hate to do it I would have to get an abortion if I were pregnant because my ob doctor said I HAD to get my tubes tied because If I got pregnant again it may kill me.
Thanks Michelle

anarmywife
07-28-2002, 10:56 AM
I take ortho-novum and before that ortho cyclen- low dose, or mini pills, cause the regular made me very nautious. If i stop taking it i get pregnant, I know because both times we decided to have kids i stopped and was pregnant in 2 weeks. I do not recomend depo at all i took it for 9 months- 3 shots, and had my period the entire time!!!- yes 9 straight months of period now i can see why it works so well.