PDA

View Full Version : Need money to pay a bill???

Sassygirl
04-23-2002, 07:39 AM
I just heard about a new site on the TODAY SHOW.

The owner of the site is a teacher who donates 10% of his salary to give to others in need.

One of the recipients was a grandmother, who would've liked to buy a gift for her grand-daughter, but unfortunately was unable to afford it on her own because she has been unable to work due to health reasons.

The site has also given money to people who were unable to afford to pay thier electric bill, phone bill, rent, needed to get a minor car repair etc...

The sites owner started this site in response to the fact that there has been occassions when he himself has had to live paycheck to paycheck and had times when it was either repair the car or don't buy groceries for the week. He stated that family and friends have given him help during those times and would like to help others in return.

The site has set-up a paypal account and other various methods to donate if you wish as well as donating time such as an automobile mechanic working on someone's car once a month, or a doctor helping someone who's ill. Please check out the site to donate if able, and to ask for help if you truly need help. :)

http://www.modestneeds.org

kindahigh
04-23-2002, 07:49 AM
The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

Sassygirl
04-23-2002, 08:01 AM
sorry about that I fixed the link.:)

Iluvfree
04-23-2002, 08:23 AM
Thank you!

booska1346
04-23-2002, 08:33 AM
It is so wonderful that there is a place like this. Upon further study of the site, the ledger tells a lot. They have about 2000 in contributions and about 29,000 dollars requested by those who need it. Looks like they are looking for contributions to fill the needs people have had so far. :)

I don't want to sound holier than thou, but I hope no one just signs up to get an extra 50 dollars or whatever unless they really need it. That would really be a bummer.

Thanks for calling our attention to such a great place.

heatherew
04-23-2002, 08:36 AM
Sassygirl:

Thanks for the post, and I love your signature about spaying and neutering pets! I may just have to borrow that one!:)

Terriemamabear
04-23-2002, 08:47 AM
Thank you.

Sassygirl
04-23-2002, 09:01 AM
Thanks everyone, I'm glad you like the site! I'm planning on sending some of the money I get from surveys this month as a donation. There's been plenty of times in the past I could've used an extra $50. bucks or so for a bill and have gotten help myself from family. I figure it's the least I could do.:)

Lasher
04-23-2002, 09:09 AM
This is a really great site.I couldn't belive he is a college student, making about the same amount as me, but obviously doing so much more. Really got me thinking.

Cidni
04-23-2002, 09:30 AM
I saw the story this morning also & I just contributed. Hope that this site is successful & it's goals remain the way they started out, to help those in need & not just line the pockets of administraters the way most other charities do.

ragabon0001
04-23-2002, 10:21 AM
I just wanted to say thank you for this wonderful post.. My mom has recently ran into some money problems and has a car that needs major repairs maybe they can lend a hand ( I just got back to work myself the bills sure do pile up fast)
THANK YOU !!!

Bavaria
04-23-2002, 11:19 AM
great Post ! worth checking out !Thanks :p

kitiara
04-23-2002, 12:07 PM
This is such a wonderful thing. I myself am having problems right now and this was an answer to my prayers. I just left an abusive husband and have 2 kids with another one on the way with only a 700.00 a month income. I have been on bedrest now for over a month with my pregnancy and didn't know what i was going to do to make ends meet and now I have a light at the end of the tunnel and I want to say think you so much for finding this and letting us know about it.

heatherew
04-23-2002, 12:19 PM
kitiara, welcome to the forum!:)

angelwhispers
04-23-2002, 12:50 PM
What this man is doing is wonderful. We need more people like this in the world. My husband and I manage to barely make ends meet each month but usually have a little bit left over so I made sure that I made a contribution while I was there. Please help if you can.

sneekymee
04-23-2002, 12:51 PM
I could use that about now, I'm trying not to get to that point though...:D

guesswho!
04-23-2002, 01:58 PM
Kitiara: Wanted 2commend you on getting out from under an abusive hubby or other,doing so takes a ton of courage! I'd like 2encourage you 2locate & take advantage of resources available 2help you during your transition. Hope you don't mind me throwing these things out!Have you Applied 4any Gov. help such WIC (Women Infant Children prog)? They help w/formula & other foods 4you & the kids. Also most women's shelters have ppl who'll actually go w/you 2sign up 4WIC,food stamps,disability(a good # of women qualify b/c of emotional trauma of leaving DH & taking care of kids alone,etc. & the money can help!) Locally there's a preacher who picks up food that's nearing expirations & takes it 2shelters. Churches (I work 4one) usually have a pantry which's open 2the public if you need imm. food help,most also stock diapers,etc. Support grps 4women who're going thru what you are can make a tremendous difference & help you not feel so alone.Churches are also invaluable support systems! The women's shelters in your area would be able 2direct you 2support grps.in your area. Hang tough,the hardest part,stepping out on your own is behind you,so keep looking straight ahead,you're doing the right thing 4yourself & your kids!

Hope it's ok 2reply here,couldn't find an email addy 4ya& I really wanted 2commend you 4your courage! Here's my addy if you want it 4the future! TAKE CARE!

heldtogetherbyjesus@yahoo.com

KYgirl
04-23-2002, 05:18 PM
I think what you are doing is absolutely great! However, one thing I think you should reconsider is helping those with phone bills. A telephone is a luxury in most cases and seeing some of the amounts requested is rediculous! Just my opinion. But I do believe there are a lot of more important requests than the phone bills. Keep up the good work!

I have to agree YOU DO NOT NEED A TELEPHONE wow those numbers was BIG

kitiara
04-23-2002, 06:01 PM
that's not always true that a phone is a luxury...I have to have a phone here in my house to contact the ambulance which i use about once a week to get to the hospital...I have a troubled pregnancy and end up in the hospital quite a bit for contractions...and i also know some people with children that have trouble breathing in thier sleep and they need to have a phone too..the phone company seems to think it is always a luxury and that is why they are able to charge so much money for hookup and monthly service...Ok well enough ragging I just wanted people out there to know that it isn't always a luxury sometimes it is a medical necessity.

bertilak2
04-23-2002, 08:35 PM
Hello folks,

I am the person who owns and administers "Modest Needs" (yes, the "Today Show" guy.) I just wanted to take a minute to post to this forum so that I could thank all of your personally (or, as personally as possible via the Internet) for all of your kind words about the site--and to thank those of you who have contributed even a single dollar to it. Modest Needs was never intended to be the kind of site that would actively solicit funding; I've always believed that if people believed something was worthwhile, they would support it *without* having to be asked to support it. This is what has happened in many cases today. In just about twelve hours, the site has had something like 20,000 visitors, and people have contributed nearly $2,000 to the site (mostly to the site's endowment fund, which is where the money really needs to go.) Of course, that's a far cry from the amount of money that would be necessary to fund the--I think--about $100,000 worth of requests that have come in just today, but that's OK. When I started Modest Needs, I knew that the site wouldn't be able to help everyone who wrote to it. My philosophy was simply that being able to help even a couple of people was better than helping no one at all. I want each of you who has discussed this site in this thread to know how grateful I am to you personally for your kind remarks, and how much I appreciate your gestures of support for the site--be they in terms of financial assistance, a kind word, or something else. The things you've said about "Modest Needs" in this forum literally have been the icing on the cake of one of the very most exciting days of my life. If any of you have any questions or comments about the site, please feel free to write to me personally at keith@modestneeds.org. Thanks again for all of your support, and have a *great* evening.

Cheers,
Keith

Freebie4Me
04-23-2002, 09:15 PM
I dont want to sound like a cheap person, but all I could possible donate to them at this time through paypal is 10 cents. I sent it to him then e-mailed him to tell him that was I could do for now!

Great post.....

;)

wanted4all
05-17-2002, 06:39 PM
If anyone can donate just $1.00 to this man to help out others, that would be wonderful! I donated $2.00 and that was a stretch for me, but to bless someone else is worth it! PLEASE KEEP THIS BUMPED!!

chrissyaz
05-17-2002, 06:54 PM
:) I do have to say..this is the best post I've seen on this board in all my time here. This is just the most wonderful thing I've ever seen!! Times have been tough around here for quite some time now but we're scraping by. I know I have a modest need myself right now but will be sending $5 via snail mail (the addy is on the site) cause I don't use paypal and encourage anyone who reads this post to at least stick a $1 in an envelope and send it to this awesome cause. Who knows when a modest need may arise in your own life!!!! :p :D :)

krinkle19
05-18-2002, 05:43 AM
I HAVE TO PUT IN MY TWO CENTS ABOUT THE NECESSITY OF A PHONE. WHEN WE LIVED IN A LARGE CITY (TUCSON), A PHONE WAS DEFINATELY A LUXURY, SINCE THERE WAS ALWAYS A PAY PHONE NEARBY, AND WE LIVED IN APARTMENTS, SO IN AN EMERGENCY, THEY HAD PHONES.

HOWEVER WE NOW LIVE IN SAWYER, NORTH DAKOTA, A TOWN OF 377 PEOPLE. NO PAY PHONE IN TOWN. THE ONLY LOCAL BUSINESS IS ONLY OPEN 8-6 ON WEEKDAYS AND 12-4 ON WEEKENDS. THE CLOSEST PLACE WITH A PAY PHONE IS 12 MILES AWAY. DURING THE WINTER, HIGH TEMPS DROP BELOW ZERO, WITH WIND CHILLS EXCEEDING 50 DEGREES BELOW ZERO. CAN'T WALK TO THE STORE WITH A SICK BABY THEN.

DUE TO THE EXTREME NEED OF PHONES UP HERE, THEY ALSO CHARGE AN AWFUL LOT. NOT COUNTING ANY LONG DISTANCE CHARGES OR INTERNET, OUR MONTHLY BILL IS ALMOST $50.....WE CAN'T JUDGE OTHERS NEEDS BASED ON OUR OWN

Willow
05-18-2002, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by booska1346
It is so wonderful that there is a place like this. Upon further study of the site, the ledger tells a lot. They have about 2000 in contributions and about 29,000 dollars requested by those who need it. Looks like they are looking for contributions to fill the needs people have had so far. :)

I don't want to sound holier than thou, but I hope no one just signs up to get an extra 50 dollars or whatever unless they really need it. That would really be a bummer.

Thanks for calling our attention to such a great place.

I was thinking the same thing. People are going to be coming out of the woodwork and the person running the site will be overwhelmed with requests. What they should do is if someone needs assistance with paying a utility bill that they actually pay the company directly instead of just handing over money to the person that needs the assistance. I don't think they are just going to hand out money to every Tom, Dick, and Harry that goes to their site requesting assistance.

Willow
05-18-2002, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by cgian66
thats what they do , they ask you to specifically give information and account numbers for say NYSEG Gas and Electric

they pay the company so if someone is just trying to get money then they should not ask for help there. It is for the "Truly Needy"

I do survey's for a site and they pay threw pay pal and I donated that money to the cause. Granted it wsnt much but every little bit helps

Well I'm glad they look into things first and not just give handouts. I would hate to see people asking for money to support their drinking or drug habits. I just don't like to see nice people taken advantage of. If I ever get payed for taking the surveys I will gladly donate the money to the site. Does anyone know if there is a way of sending them a donation through snail mail?

ttistin
05-18-2002, 12:43 PM
I have to say that this is one of the best if not the best posts i have seen on here. It is truly amazing to come across someone that cares so much about his fellow man to want to help them in a way that can make such a diffrence. especilly when you read the paper and watch the news and see all the horriable things people can do to eachother.

I also agree that a phone is not a luxery. I stay home with my 3 kids, 3, 2 and 6 months. I dont always have a car here and if something happens then what am i going to do? i live out in the country and i dont know what i would do if something happened to one of my children. One time when we were going through a really hard time and our phone got shut off my oldest, who at the time was 2, fell and split his head open. I had no phone and no car. I had to put him and my other son in a stroller and walk 2 miles down the road to the neighbor. He eneded up having to have 4 staples in his head. I am just glad that my neighbor was home and that everything turned out ok. anyway enough with my rambling....

WHAT A GREAT THING THIS IS :) :)

kelblend
05-18-2002, 07:33 PM
nice site.

lingirl
05-19-2002, 06:38 AM
Does anyone know of any other corporations like this one? When I was yonger, a show came on TV where this millionaire gave money to people to pay bills, cover medical expenses, etc.

I am hoping to find a site such as this, but all I can find is books to buy with addresses of the philanthropists. And the books are too expensive to take a chance. Thanks.

krinkle19
05-19-2002, 06:52 AM
THERE USED TO BE AN OLDER GUY FROM WISCONSIN I THINK THAT HAD A WEEKLY SPOT IN THE PAPER WHERE HE WOULD PRINT THE REQUESTS AND HIS RESPONSES (SOMETIMES HE SAID NO, FRIVOLOUS REQUEST, OR A LESSER AMOUNT THAN REQUESTED, ALWAYS ADVICE ON HOW TO PREVENT THESE SITUATIONS). BUT A LITTLE MORE THAN A YEAR AGO, HE RAN HIS LAST PIECE.

Willow
05-19-2002, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by cgian66

yes you can snail mail a donation here is the addy:

Modest Needs

PO Box 330307

Nashville, TN 37203

Thank you for posting the snail mail address. :)

STARR986
05-19-2002, 09:25 PM
BUMPING IT UP!!!:) :) :) :)

Nahshones_Girl
05-19-2002, 11:59 PM
Hey Kitiara

how old are your kids? I may have some clothes for them if you need them....send me an email at vee8@aol.com

Shivaw70
05-20-2002, 09:03 PM
I love this site. We should all think about whtahe is doing. My husaband is donating his time as a mechainc for Ct people. He works 60 hours a week but thout this was touching, ha wanted to help if he can. Anyone in CT need auto help? Great post

pjt09
05-20-2002, 10:51 PM
This is a wonderful site! Wish I had thought of it. Everyone who can should send a donation...not many (actually none) of the charities I know of have no administrative costs. God bless that boy!:D :D :D

adarkangel
06-17-2002, 07:59 AM
I just wanted to bump this.
I think this is a great idea.
The problem as I understand it,
is that he is getting way more
requests than donations. Some
of these requests are crazy.
Come on people we can help
with this. Personally, I am
making 50.00 a week babysitting
& I am going to donate the 5.00.
Anyone else with me? :D
Hugs & smooches to you all!

wackydackydoo
06-17-2002, 12:18 PM
I think most of us have more debt than asset and could all use extra money, but there are people much worse than us; I hope those people can find help like this.

This guy should be an example to the likes of Ted Turner, Donald Trump, etc., who could probably single-handedly stop world poverty if they wanted to with their millions/billions; but they would rather give money to the likes of the United Nation and other entities that don't really need the money.

I say that this guy should get a standing ovation--and a thumbs-down to those stingy millionaires and billionaires.

Ladytiger
06-18-2002, 12:15 AM
I just cannot ask this guy for help...he is getting flooded with requests, the next two weeks will be rough, and getting the money to start selling my things might be tough, but I just can't do it:(

Talanco
06-18-2002, 06:57 AM
HMM the only thing I have to offer right now is my time. I could volunteer to go clean the homes of the elderly that may need it. OR maybe I could volunteer to do the taxes of some of these people for no charge. I dont know I want to help but dont have "money". ANy ideas on other ways we can help?

smeans
06-18-2002, 07:28 AM
How nice and refreshing to hear someone doing something like this. I just hope that people dont take advantage of his and donors' kindness. i hope that everyone keeps this site in mind and while we are on the subject of helping others....does everyone know that we have a national blood shortage right now? i live in kentucky and here and in indiana we are at a critical shortage. They usually keep a 3 day supply of blood and now we only have 1/2 day worth. People really gave after sept.11th but then it died down. so please keep this in mind also. Kudos to all who are helping other people. And i do believe that people who help others will be rewarded in the end.:)

smeans
06-18-2002, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by Talanco
HMM the only thing I have to offer right now is my time. I could volunteer to go clean the homes of the elderly that may need it. OR maybe I could volunteer to do the taxes of some of these people for no charge. I dont know I want to help but dont have "money". ANy ideas on other ways we can help?

maybe you could sign up for all the freebies we find and give them to different shelters etc?

wackydackydoo
06-18-2002, 08:32 AM
I don't understand how we can have a blood shortage. Did you know that the Red Cross has been destroying blood, because they don't have enough storage facilities to store all the blood that has been getting donated. Don't they share with other organizations/hospitals that need it? I thought they did. If they don't, the Red Cross is sure wasting people's time; but, then again, they have some practices that have been frowned upon by the public.

As for personally helping others, since I am a professional couponer/shopper, I have the ability to give to those less fortunate. Every now and then, this man by us stands outside with a cardboard sign saying "Will Work Hard for Food". When I see him a give him a bag of food. I also give to the church's food bank, and give food, clothes (sometimes brand new), etc., "directly" to families I know are underpriveleged. It's better to give and do for families local to you, because you can see what organizations do with donations (the Red Cross being an example). Very little of those donations get to those in need.

gonnaluvit
06-19-2002, 12:21 AM
This is so great that he would start helping people like this and when my husband and I get back on our feet from our move I am donating to this cause thanks to the poster

aprilwine2000
06-19-2002, 06:25 AM
FishmansBetrHalf

If we ALL donated even $1 a week to this site~~~~~~

I don't have much to spare either as I also babysit for a living,but I just sent them my $1,I just won't get that Dr.Pepper when I get gas today.I hope we can start some kind of BBS trend FishmansBetrHalf.As I have seen in the past usually those who have the least tend to give the most...if even 1/3 of the members here give $1 that would be a nice donation.This is my official challenge to you all!!!!

Blackerose
06-19-2002, 08:07 AM
About this site, I have found some descrepancies. First of all, it says people will be helped on a first come, first served basis, and you are given a number. It says number 897 applied on 6/1, but if you check the dates, they didn't get that many responses that day. Also, I applied for help with prescriptions on 6/2 and received an email that my request was received. I checked today and my request is nowhere to be found, it's on none of the lists. I emailed and asked about this and am waiting for the reply. Is this too good to be true?

GeorgiaPeach7465
06-19-2002, 11:43 AM
I'm thinking about starting my own program similar to this one. It sure would be a lot better than giving to a well-known charity. I'd really like to help others but am not interested in going through nationally known charities. If you are interested in helping me, please let me know. What are your thoughts?

Email me your thoughts and ideas.....
I'm all up for the challenge to help others.

wackydackydoo
06-20-2002, 08:21 AM
It's hard to know what happens to your money once you give it to an outside organization. It's easier, and probably better, if "everyone" find out what people/families in their own area are in need and help them out. If everyone did this, those in need in all areas will be benefited; and, best of all, you can see your generosity make a difference first-hand.

vaghere
06-20-2002, 11:06 AM
This was the most beautiful and uplifting post I've ever read here!~ Thank you so much!~~~~ I will definitely be sending money to this site. The gap between being poor enough to get government help and being rich enough to not need it is wide. Not too many places to go to fill it. Thanks again!!!!:) :) :)

LADYBUDD1
06-20-2002, 11:24 AM
I went to the site today and to my surprise it said I will be funded. Just want you all to know that this site is for real. My post on the site is number 148,if you would like to check it out. Thanks to all that have donated and a BIG thanks to Keith for starting this site.

LADYBUDD1
06-20-2002, 12:54 PM
just bumping

TxGurl
06-20-2002, 01:31 PM
ok...I have a headache today and simply cannot read all of the site AND this thread.

This is what I want to know about this site:

does this guy disperse the gifts/money thru investements, etc.. as a non-proft agency?? taxwise he must be set up as a charity or we all know what kind of news he may be making in the future....lol I just didn't see anything about how the funds are dispersed and what is done w/ them in the process of choosing a recipient. thinking on it.....why in thw world hasn't some etsablishment/philanthropist taken this young man on by backing his cause....??? just wondering about it.

so far, from what I read....I think its a really GREAT idea that is set up for massive abuse if they are not really careful...coming up short on bills every now and then is TOTALLY different then say - a woman w/ children who is desperately trying to escape her abuser. I've been completely broke before and I'm struggling w/ bills just like most are, but if I can't come up w/ $50 in a 30 day period someway or another....or talk my way into an extension....then I deserve to suffer over that $50 measely bucks I obviously spent unwisely. JMHO

I do agree w/ the idea that helping those in our own communities can make dramatic changes in peoples lives and gives the "giver" a chance to participate in their community on a more personal basis. Often, time given is so much more valuable than any money could EVER be....money can't buy ya "compassion" much less love ...but my old clothes can keep someone warm this winter ;)

Fred12
06-20-2002, 03:11 PM
I agree with fishermansbetterhalf 100%

wackydackydoo
06-20-2002, 03:32 PM
Also, as for taking the government's tax exemption status, he doesn't need to and is probably better off not doing so. All this means is that you wouldn't be able to claim your donation on your tax return, and the government has to keep their nose out of his business.

The christian school my children attend refuses this tax exemption and pays their taxes like the rest of us, because the government has been known to butt into a private school's business and curriculum and dictate to them.

countrycarrie31
06-20-2002, 04:43 PM
Thanks so much for posting this site. We are having a baby
in October that we did not plan on and even though I was on the pill.
Modest Needs is helping us purchase a crib. It is a wonderful site and the young man running it has a good head on his shoulders. He is not sending us a cash or check. Either we will receive a gift certificate for the store or he will purchase and ship the item. His verification and payment techniques are good. He is not just handing out $$ without checking facts, for all the skeptics out there. I've seen a lot of questions posted that would be answered if you read through the site thoroughly. As far as a tax exempt status, he has applied for and is awaiting for that status. When he receives it all donations will will be tax deductible and if I remember correctly all donations retroactive to May of 2002 will be tax deductible once he receives the status. I am determined to start donating to this site, whether it be $1 or more I am sure that I can cut a corner somewhere to make that happen. I am convinced that every amount
donated no matter how large or small makes a difference. I really am excited about this site and I hope that people will really stand up and take notice and take action!!! :) :D ;) :p :cool: :rolleyes: :p ;) :D :) :p

countrycarrie31
06-20-2002, 06:34 PM
BUMP

TxGurl
06-20-2002, 06:54 PM
:D thanks for all the information everyone!!

I was only curious b/c this young man will soon have even more bills and less time to take care of such a site (as life tends to dictate to us all as we grow older and take on more responsibilities)......maybe what he could eventually use MOST is a few computer/internet/charity savvy people to help him (for free) keep his site going so he won't have to live the brunt of it down (as far as all his time is concerned) just a thought... ;)

jengoss
06-20-2002, 07:46 PM
I really like this mans site but am not wanting to ask for help in my situation. My sister is going to be having a baby girl in about a month and her husband has just lost his job. We are not able to throw her a baby shower so I was wanting to know if anyone out there would be willing to help out with basic baby needs as far as clothing, bottles, diapers and so on. She is in desperate need for such items and if anyone can help please let me know. You can email me at doughboy_72865@yahoo.com. Thank You.

countrycarrie31
06-20-2002, 08:40 PM
Hey Jenngoss, I really wish I could help. I am in much
the same situation. I am having a baby in October and this
is so unexpected but yet such a blessing. We did not plan on
having any but yet here we are. God has such different plans for
our lives than we do sometimes. I really hope you get the help you
are looking for!!!

God Bless!!

Carrie

LADYBUDD1
06-25-2002, 03:26 AM
Lets keep this bumped up for others that may have a modest need!

mathena1
06-30-2002, 02:59 PM
bumping

bertilak2
06-30-2002, 03:18 PM
Hello! I've just been reading the posts to this thread, and I notice someone had suggested I was a college student, etc. This is not correct. I am a college *professor* - and (unfortunately) not quite so young as I once was. I'll be 35 on July 18. So, what are you guys going to get me for my birthday? :) Oh - I know!! Keep spreading the word about Modest Needs!! Maybe working together, we could generate a healthy endowment for the site by that time. If you have questions, please write to me personally (keith@modestneeds.org). Take good care, and have a nice rest of your weekend. All best, Keith

bertilak2
06-30-2002, 03:29 PM
Folks, I just cannot tell you how touched I was reading all of the posts in this thread. I mean, really, I was absolutely astonished - and especially by the posts that said something to the effect of "I'm going to give a dollar to this person, no matter what." You know, that's *really* what Modest Needs is about to me. I'm certainly not rich, and I don't think anybody who has given anything to the site has. BUT, that's ok. It'd be great, obviously, if Gates or someone like him came along and gave a huge gift to the site. But even if he doesn't, think of this - do you know that if every person on the Big Big Savings forum gave Modest Needs $5 just ONCE, I'd be able to operate the site for a solid YEAR at a minimum level of $15,400.00 per month, save any other gifts the site received, and probably keep the site funded for life? Do you know that if everyone on this forum gave the site $10 once, I could do the same thing, but at a funding level of $25,400 per month (that's more than $10,000 more than the site was able to distribute in June 2002)? And - dear Lord - if everyone on this forum gave the site $100 just ONCE (I know that's a lot, but hypothetically), then Modest Needs could operate with a minimum of $30,400 per month, FOREVER - if nobody ever gave to the site again? That's really the power we all have when we work together. So thanks to all of you for the kind words, for "paying it forward" in these ways. All my best, Keith

Princess of Power #1
06-30-2002, 03:38 PM
For finding a way to help people that may have no place to go and get help!

bertilak2
07-01-2002, 02:04 PM
Thank you all so much for helping me with Modest Needs. I really couldn't tell you how happy operating this website makes me on a daily basis. I couldn't do it (not this way, anyway) without so much support from so many people!

bertilak2
07-05-2002, 03:03 PM
Hi Folks - Just wanted to share some fantastic news! Today, I received my official "status letter" from the IRS. After only a six week review, and with no questions asked (a miracle!), Modest Needs has been given tax exempt status by the IRS. This is, in my opinion, the last hurdle the site faced. Modest Needs now is poised to succeed beyond my own wildest dreams! I'll be sending an e-mail "blast" later tonight (I hope) to tell everyone about this, since this is big, BIG news. But thanks to tall of you for supporting the site even when its status was uncertain. Isn't it nice to know that now, you can choose for your tax dollars either to put food on someone's table or help someone catch up on a bill instead of buying the lug nut for an F-16 fighter? :) All best, Keith

Ladytiger
07-05-2002, 04:08 PM
I sent an email, I hope it gets answered. I know that Keith is very busy, it would just help to know that he received it ok.
Having NO income is scary:(

picklepuss
07-06-2002, 01:37 PM
Just giving a bump!:)

Dragonfairie
07-06-2002, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by KYgirl
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think what you are doing is absolutely great! However, one thing I think you should reconsider is helping those with phone bills. A telephone is a luxury in most cases and seeing some of the amounts requested is rediculous! Just my opinion. But I do believe there are a lot of more important requests than the phone bills. Keep up the good work!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have to agree YOU DO NOT NEED A TELEPHONE wow those numbers was BIG

I have to disagree, if you own or are trying to own a home and have homeowners insurance, many insurance companies require you to have a telephone or they will cancel your policy. I had this problem arise once while trying to save some money.

But one the same note, many phone companies have a program to help low income people.

DUE TO THE EXTREME NEED OF PHONES UP HERE, THEY ALSO CHARGE AN AWFUL LOT. NOT COUNTING ANY LONG DISTANCE CHARGES OR INTERNET, OUR MONTHLY BILL IS ALMOST $50.....WE CAN'T JUDGE OTHERS NEEDS BASED ON OUR OWN

Krinkle, wow that is high, we have NDTC and our bill is $43 which includes internet service. And you have to note that just about every place around here is long distance - we do have 2 towns we can call locally.

Mamacita9
09-04-2002, 03:04 PM
BUMP
I was looking for this link thanks!!!!