PDA

View Full Version : OMG...we had an earthquake this morning!

GinnyS
04-20-2002, 09:51 AM
5.1 Earthquake Rattles Northeast

Saturday, April 20, 2002

An earthquake felt from Maine to Maryland rattled the Northeast on Saturday morning with a magnitude of 5.1, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

The earthquake hit just before 7 a.m. about 15 miles southwest of Plattsburgh, in northern New York near the Vermont and Canadian borders.

There were no immediate reports of injuries, but the Vermont State Police received calls about cracked foundations and broken windows, and sections of at least two roads collapsed near the epicenter in upstate New York. The only reported damage in Northern Berkshire was that of a cracked foundation in a home on Houghton Street in Clarksburg.

My Mom lives on Houghton Street! :eek: But she is fine...we live the next town over and it woke my husband and I up(Good thing, I was able to get in on Stretch Island Fruit Leather because of it...lol:D ) But the kids slept right through it.

The last earthquake we had in these parts was in the mid 80s. Well, that was my excitement for the day, did anybody else feel the quake this morning?

Ginny

picklepuss
04-20-2002, 09:57 AM
I read about this this morning.I have relatives in New York and New Jersey.Didn't hear anything from them so I guess they're fine.

Lafawn
04-20-2002, 02:56 PM
I live in Buffalo, New York and some areas around the city felt the effects of it too. Didn't hear too much details about it, so it probably wasn't much of a quake. At least in this area.

missymommy
04-20-2002, 03:53 PM
They say ppl in PA could feel it. If I felt anything I thought it
was a kid pounding on something. Too far away I think for us to
feel it.

menanamama
04-21-2002, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by GinnyS

Saturday, April 20, 2002

An earthquake felt from Maine to Maryland rattled the Northeast on Saturday morning with a magnitude of 5.1, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

The earthquake hit just before 7 a.m. about 15 miles southwest of Plattsburgh, in northern New York near the Vermont and Canadian borders.

There were no immediate reports of injuries, but the Vermont State Police received calls about cracked foundations and broken windows, and sections of at least two roads collapsed near the epicenter in upstate New York. The only reported damage in Northern Berkshire was that of a cracked foundation in a home on Houghton Street in Clarksburg.

My Mom lives on Houghton Street! :eek: But she is fine...we live the next town over and it woke my husband and I up(Good thing, I was able to get in on Stretch Island Fruit Leather because of it...lol:D ) But the kids slept right through it.

The last earthquake we had in these parts was in the mid 80s. Well, that was my excitement for the day, did anybody else feel the quake this morning?

Ginny my hubby slept through it. my parents are about 40 mi north of it in rouses point. i am near berkshire.

Angelseyes28
04-21-2002, 10:55 AM
There was also a small one in Dyer county TN, it registered a 3.0 i believe.

lilmeanie43
04-21-2002, 11:15 AM
Good Lord, if it's not one thing it's another it seems lately... I hope all of you that are up there close got through w/out too much damage.

jerseybarb
04-21-2002, 03:05 PM
I felt this earthquake, it woke me up. I was at my brother's house in Horseheads, NY when the house started shaking and I thought to myself "Hey this is an earthquake! " I was very surprised, I have never experienced an earthquake

PEACHY
04-21-2002, 05:02 PM
EARTHQUAKES ARE HAPPENING!!

Just last night i felt one here in calif about 2:30 a.m. or so,,it was more of a rolls of waves type earthquake rather then the shaker type kind,we get alot of small ones here all the time,,last big one we had was in the 80s and alot of people where hurt and killed in that one it was bad! hope and pray we dont get any more like that one,,glad everybody was ok back in your states,,earthquakes can be scary,,our house came clear off the foundation during the earthquake in the 80s,,it took 6 months to get our house back in order and lifestyle back to normal..

frohdi
04-21-2002, 05:25 PM
i live in nj and we didnt feel anything, i was actually on my way to to work and i heard about it on the radio ... my felow workers did not believe me! lol

shelanskey
04-22-2002, 02:43 PM
I live in gowanda, NY about an hour away from buffalo, Ny and I felt the quake! I had a glass on my kitchen table and it fell over!

GodBlessAmerica
09-16-2002, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by GinnyS

Saturday, April 20, 2002

The earthquake hit just before 7 a.m.

Ginny

:D:D:D:D:D Ginny... See you do have them!! heheheh ;)
Glad you were all safe AND got into Stretch Island Fruit !! :D
*smiles* ~GBA

GinnyS
09-20-2002, 06:33 PM
I can handle one minor earthqauke every 20 years...but not as often as they have them Cali....nope...not even for the freebies...LOL :D

Ginny