PDA

View Full Version : Heart Palpitations

jenisurfr
03-26-2002, 08:58 PM
Does anyone have heart palpitations regularly? I have been having them lately,(almost everyday) and all of the tests that they have run have come back normal. I'm only 26 and can't figure out what is going on..

jaybird
03-26-2002, 09:09 PM
I have them often, not regularly, but often. I'm no doctor by any stretch of the imagination but it could be:

stress
caffeine
diet pills (prescription or OTC even herbal ones)
SlimFast
soda (like Mt.Dew or Coke, high in caffeine)
chocolate
lack of sleep
nerves

Maybe try altering your lifestyle a little and see if that helps. Or check some of the online med sites like drkoop.com or webmd.com

picklepuss
03-26-2002, 09:10 PM
I have them alot.If I drink any caffiene I get them.

reneep45
03-26-2002, 09:15 PM
YES ,,,,, BELIEVE ME YOU ARE NOT ALONE !!!!!!!!! I CONTROL MINE WITH MY BREATHING ,, SOME PEOPLE CAN'T DO THAT .E-MAIL ME AT RENEEP45@YAHOO.COM WE WILL TALK,,, IF YOU WRITE ME TONITE I'LL RESOND IN THE MORNING ,, GOTTA GO TO BED SOON AND STILL CHECKIN MY MAIL ! I'M 46 BEEN HAVIN THIS CRAP SINCE I WAS YOUR AGE !!!!!!!!DON'T WORRY ,, THAT ONLY MAKES IT WORSE,, TRY TO RELAX , LUV YA ,, RENEE

jenisurfr
03-26-2002, 09:17 PM
I know a lot of it is anxiety, they just put me on Paxil because they thought it was anxiety attacks. But I have been on Paxil a month now and I still have the palpitations. I used to take a lot of energy pills with Ma Huang in them, I have a feeling it might be that. I think my biggest problem is that I need to relax!! I mean, my heart just got beating faster posting this thread because I never have posted a thread. Thanks for replying!

reneep45
03-26-2002, 09:24 PM
YOU ARE RITE ! RELAXING IS IMPORTANT , WHICH MOST OF US WITH THIS CONDITION FIND IMPOSSIBLE ! HOPE TO HERE FROM YOU IN THE MORNING,, LUV , RENEE

lilmeanie43
03-26-2002, 09:34 PM
I get them... stress causes them for me, but they've become less regular since I stopped drinking caffeine.

jaybird
03-26-2002, 09:36 PM
Add smoking to my list above. ;)

flute
03-26-2002, 09:50 PM
What are heart palps? I may have them??? :confused:

jenisurfr
03-26-2002, 09:54 PM
I probably can't explain them very well, but it feels like butterflies in your chest, or sometimes I get it right at my throat and it feels like my heart is beating up there instead of in my chest. Other times it almost feels as if the blood is having a hard time getting through my heart, almost like a burp (don't laugh, that is the only way I can explain it!)

reneep45
(((( FLUTE ))) ITS DIF. FOR EACH PERSON ,, MOSTLY FLUTTERING OF THE HEART,, COULD BE POUNDING OF THE HEART TO THE POINT YOU THINK YOU WILL EXPLODE !!!!!!! THATS ONLY 2 EXAMPLES ,, THERES MORE !!!! I GOT THEM ALL !!!!!!!!!!!

jaybird
When your heart flutters all around and feels like it's doing somersaults in your chest? OF COURSE you have them, you're a mom now, comes with the territory! ;) :D

reneep45
03-26-2002, 09:59 PM
JEN ,, U R EXPLAINING IT !!!!!! LOL ,,, I THOUGHT I WAS ALL ALONE IN THIS ,, BUT NO ,, MORE PEOPLE HAVE IT THAN NOT ,,, IS WHAT I'M FINDING OUT !!!!!!

flute
03-26-2002, 09:59 PM
Oh. I just feel like my heart's going to explode. Just gets all tight for a few seconds. And, I've had them for at least 3 years...way be4 isabel...ouch :(

reneep45
03-26-2002, 10:02 PM
HYPOGLYCEIMIA (SP) LOW BLOOD SUGAR CAN DO THIS TO YOU TOO

jenisurfr
03-26-2002, 10:08 PM
When I was younger they thought I had hypoglycemia, maybe that is it. Thank you so much reneep45 for responding, and everyone else too. It makes me feel a lot better just to know I am not the only one!! A lot better!

flute
03-26-2002, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by reneep45
HYPOGLYCEIMIA (SP) LOW BLOOD SUGAR CAN DO THIS TO YOU TOO

I don't have that. Every time my sugar has been checked, it's been fine

~Angel Eyez~
03-26-2002, 10:39 PM
I get them and mine are caused from anxiety, and a little from stress but I take Xanax for it....I think alot of stress and stuff dealing with your nereves causes them too.

reneep45
03-26-2002, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by jenisurfr
When I was younger they thought I had hypoglycemia, maybe that is it. Thank you so much reneep45 for responding, and everyone else too. It makes me feel a lot better just to know I am not the only one!! A lot better! sometimes just knowing you are not alone and you are not crazy, HELPS !

dobiesnj
03-26-2002, 11:04 PM
I don't get palpitations, but one thing i can tell you is that
Ma Huang, which is actually Ephidrine, is probably one of the
main causes!!! You have to be very careful with that stuff. It's
actually been proven harmful and many diet/energy products don't
use it anymore because of the side effects. If you quit using it
you'll probably notice a big difference pretty fast. I would just
plain stay away from that stuff if I was you!

janelle
03-26-2002, 11:19 PM
I have mitral valve prolapse which causes it. Sometimes the doctor misses it because you have to squat down on your legs for them to listen to your heart in that position. If they hear a weird noise then they do a scan to see your heart beat.

The mitral valve if floppy and doesn't close tight allowing the blood to flow back a little which causes the palpatations.

http://www.heartpoint.com/mitralvalveprolapse.html

This site explains it. It's not harmful. I take Propranolol which is the generic of Inderal for it. When my heart gets to jumping around very much I find if I cough and hit my chest it helps.

Also,Angel Eyez, the doctor took me off of Xanax because she said it causes liver damage. Don't worry, there are a lot better drugs out there now for anxiety. You will like them better. I switched to Celexa, much better.

Xanax has only a six hour life so you need more of it during the day, not so with Celexa. Have the doctor change you over very slowly though so you won't have the side effects. It's dangerous to go off of it cold.

Betteann
03-27-2002, 03:52 PM
Does it skip a beat all the time? It feels like it goes lump,thump?The Dr. called it arrhythmia. Mine has been doing that for 25 years. It is just annoying. When you get upset or anxious it gets worse. But I can do almost anything. You have to try and ignore it. Which is pretty hard to do.

kimp67
03-27-2002, 06:05 PM
did they do any thyroid studies on you? When mine was over-active, I had palpations like crazy! At night when I would go to bed, it felt like my heart was gonna pop right outta my chest!
All it takes for the thyroid test is a simple blood test.

Betteann
03-27-2002, 06:08 PM
Sometime when you take medicine like decongestants and other things when you have that problem, it makes it really beat crazy.

jenisurfr
03-27-2002, 09:38 PM
And here I was worried no one would respond to me! I have stopped the Ma Huang, about six months ago, so I am hoping that will help. I went to the doctor today and they are going to run some tests, as soon as I get insurance. That will hopefully be in the next couple of weeks because this has been really stressing me out. My thyroid has been high the last couple of times, but they decided not to prescibe anything because they thought it could have something to do with medication I was on. I'll keep everyone posted as soon as I find out!

tracey74
08-22-2006, 02:15 PM
[QUOTE=janelle]I have mitral valve prolapse which causes it. Sometimes the doctor misses it because you have to squat down on your legs for them to listen to your heart in that position. If they hear a weird noise then they do a scan to see your heart beat.

janelle I have this also they found it thru an ultrasound.I was getting short of breath just getting dressed or getting out of the tub/shower I thought it was my asthma.also with this problem.i have to have antibiotics before I have any surgeries or get any teeth worked on.but I get the palpitations off and on too.mine happens a lot at night when Im in bed.(not from excitement either lol).Id get an ultrasound done to make sure its not a heart problem

tngirl
08-22-2006, 03:35 PM
I am sitting here having them right now. Mine flips back and forth between "fluttering" and "missing" a beat. My ex-husband had a problem with them when his cholesterol went too low. Mine are just plain old anxieties and stress.

freeby4me
08-22-2006, 03:43 PM
Sounds like you need a vacation tngirl LOL Seems to me having those would be kinda scary, Never know whats going on.
BTW.....Anyone notice this thread is over 4 years old :eek: :eek: LOL

kyswpgrl
08-22-2006, 03:53 PM
Yep, I have them as well. Mine was diagnosed as SVT (Supraventricular Tachycardia) and is the same thing my mom has. Also, your heartrate can go up when you're anemic, which is yet another thing I am right now due to my pregnancy. I have almost completely cut out caffeine because of it. Caffeine and alcohol are the biggest triggers. Also don't take anything with ephedrine in it.

chilla
08-23-2006, 08:55 AM
but I take Xanax for it.....

PLEASE PLEASE be very careful with Xanax. My dr in CA put me on it to help with stress and sleeplessness. I was on it for three years, it's supposed to be a short term med. He didn't do liver function tests during that time either. I moved to TN and my new dr told me to get off, it was too dangerous and not the proper med for sleeplessness. She said to cut dose by half for a week then stop. It threw me into panic attacks and cost me a brand new job (they thought I was crazy). I got a new dr who helped me get off that stuff - it took about six months to wean myself off slowly enough to keep from having panic attacks the whole time. I stayed on edge the whole time and was MISERABLE! I lost 40 lbs (which I really needed to lose, but that's a hard way to do it)! That stuff actually alters your brain chemistry. Possibly permanently. (I'm still prone to panic attacks and I didn't have them before Xanax) Make you work closely with a dr getting off of it. It can also cause seizures if you quit too quickly.

OP- I get heart palps if I take anything with psuedophedrine (the main ingredient in Sudaphed and most nasal decongestants). If there is guafennisen (sp) in the pill to, it helps balance it out. But I have to be very careful about taking too much of it. I remember going through a bad period with them (when I was about your age). I was under a ton of stress (living on my own, far from family). I didn't eat properly, was underweight, smoking, a little partying and just generally living on the edge. When I calmed down and started to slow down a little, it helped. Eating better helped too. I was living on fast food and junk food and too many sodas. A lot more fruit and red meat (for the iron). (Low iron can cause heart palps too).

Be careful with the Paxil, I gained 30 lbs the year I was on it. I had carb cravings so strong I would pig out on chocolate bars and chips all day long. I couldn't help myself. I've been on Prozac and Zoloft and still have the cravings, but they weren't as strong. I would literally dream about chips and chocolate bars on Paxil! :eek: Also, if they determine the cause as anxiety, Buspar might be more helpful, as it is specific to anxiety. Paxil is more for depression (although it it also used for mild anxiety, but usually only when depression is present too). I'm always leary when a general practitioner prescribes psychotropic drugs. Do some internet research on the drug(s) before taking it. Hope this helps.

tracey74
08-23-2006, 06:37 PM
a 4 yr old thread? dang I need to start looking at things more closely lol