PDA

View Full Version : Sign This Petition To Help Pass The Breast Cancer Patient Protection Act!

velvetrose
02-18-2002, 10:10 AM
http://www.lifetimetv.com/health/breast_mastectomy_pledge.html

A Double Whammy for Breast Cancer Patients

You would think a diagnosis of breast cancer would be bad enough, but despite wide-ranging medical opinions that women who have undergone mastectomies need at least two to four days to recover from the surgery, insurance companies continue to refuse to cover hospital stays. The result? Women are forced to leave the hospital before they are ready.

missymommy
02-18-2002, 11:26 AM
O.k guys I know that you must atleast have known of someone who has
gone through this. Please sign, it is important that these women
don't get sent home too soon. My mother is a breast cancer survivor
and one of our closest family friends died last year from breast cancer.

They send you home right away while you still have a drain in your
breast. If you don't know what that is , it is a think of a big
ole straw stuck where they cut you open to allow it to drain. I know
that some ppl like to leave the hospital as soon as possible, but my
mom went right back to work. If she could have stayed longer she
would have been well taken care of and she would not have been able
to go back to work too soon.
{{{{velvetrose}}}}

Sorry for the whine but this would help alot of women.

Storm Raven
02-18-2002, 11:26 AM
GOOD POST! :)

kelblend
02-18-2002, 11:29 AM
Signed!!:D

Rattenkind
02-18-2002, 12:47 PM
It would be nice to know that signing this really makes a difference.
Insurance companies continue to rather see you dead than pay for
preventative measures like mammograms.
My grandmother was a breastcancer survivor.Yet my insurance made me pay for my first mammogram at 36 last year.
I signed this with a vengence, though!
This cancer takes too many of us too soon
and does not disciminate.
God bless all affected by this terrible fate.

odyssey
02-18-2002, 12:51 PM
you bet I signed this and passed it along to friends in my email

debswild
02-18-2002, 03:17 PM
Signed and passes along to all in address book.

SheriAndy
02-18-2002, 05:26 PM
My sister underwent a bilateral mastectomy in 1989 due to breast cancer. She survived and on April 26th, she is going to be participating in a 60 mile, 3 day walk-a-thon from Fort Worth to Dallas. She is personally attempting to raise 1900 dollars for breast cancer awareness and research. I had hoped to join her in this walk, but I am not going to be able to. I know she will be successful, she is so awesome. She is my favorite sister (Okay...she is my ONLY sister, but if I did have more than 1, she would be my favorite LOL) and I am so happy that she detected her cancer early and took care of it. I can't imagine not having her around. Thanks for the wonderful post!

GemofPa
02-18-2002, 05:52 PM
My remarks were; I`ve had two biopsies and they weren`t fun so please let woman who have had breast cancer surgery stay in the hospital longer. :)

CHRISTINE1966
02-18-2002, 06:08 PM
Great post, thank you!:) :)

Rattenkind
02-18-2002, 07:15 PM
Please, don't you all think we should bump this??

DeeTee
02-18-2002, 07:16 PM
I passed this on to my sister-in-law who is a breast cancer survivor and to some of my friends also. Thank you!

paradisechic
02-18-2002, 07:26 PM
bumpity bump bump!

jcw
02-18-2002, 10:07 PM
Have experience with the sending home to soon, so I am glad to sign it

Jenefer3
02-19-2002, 07:16 PM
A coworker of mine is a breast cancer survivor so I signed this on her behalf.....unfortunately she was recently diagnosed with bone and liver cancer

thadanna
02-20-2002, 05:08 AM
I have a service where I go to women's homes who have had a mastectomy and fit them with bras and breast prosthesis. I have to wait 6-8 weeks to see them. They tell me so many times that they feel they needed more time in the hospital and that they had a hard time when they got home. This is major surgery! I am passing this along to everyone to sign! Thanks for the post!

MySweetLord
10-31-2002, 06:25 AM
looks like they still need signatures

dizzy
10-31-2002, 07:10 AM
Thank you for this post.
My mother had breast cancer a few months ago. She had a mastectomy. She was only in the hospial 2 days. She should have stay a little longer but they wouldn't let her stay. Please sigh this for all of us. No one is going to help us women but us women.

mannerswife
10-31-2002, 07:46 AM
I SIGNED!!!!

muffinmom
10-31-2002, 07:47 AM
It's sad to know that insurance companies only see the bottom line, i wonder if it were their mother,siter or wife would they see that after haveing major surgery the extra stay is needed.
On a personal note I keep telling my doctor that i would like a mammogram, but it's always the same thing i'm too young. I've got a lump on the right side that they said was just a cyst. I swear even some doctors don't care, i've had it ultrasounded and said nothing was there,now i leak fluid. I'm signing up for all the women that don't have insurance and they die for what reason: MONEY or there lack of.

nejb1
10-31-2002, 12:58 PM
I signed and will forward to my friends...check this out though (I ended up putting this in my "comments" on the petition).

From the Palo Alto Medical Foundation website regarding MEN having a radical prostatectomy (removal of the prostate):

"The average hospital stay is about three to four days. Prior to leaving the hospital, a small drain, placed to remove any leaking urine from the area where the bladder was reconnected to the urethra, will be removed from the surgical area."

Seems like it's still a man's world!!!

Monlon
10-31-2002, 01:46 PM
i signed this and passed it on as well, and in the coments section i addressed it to all the men in the insurance company, and i said how would you like to go to the hospital and have your p**** removed and then be told to go home after only a couple of hours. i hope they pass that on to them.

ugotcarrie
10-31-2002, 05:38 PM
fast easy quick form

prowler17
10-31-2002, 09:07 PM
I signed, my mom had a mastectomy last year. I started getting yearly mammo's at 33 y/o & insurance covers.

mesue
11-01-2002, 12:51 AM
Just found out today that my SIL has been diagnosed as having breast cancer so it was really strange to find this since I already had this on my mind, I've signed and emailed it to everyone I know. Thanks for posting this and giving us all the opportunity to help.