PDA

View Full Version : Is a Z Pack an antibiotic?

ladybugbhb
01-25-2002, 12:37 PM
ok, so i have had a rough time with my docs nurse on getting me an antibiotic phoned in. I had my 12 week ob appt and my midwife sadi that if my sinus infection did not clear up in a week call her and she would phone me in one. well, need less to say two weeks later and still there. :( anyway, i called and got tot actually talk to my MW. well, she said she would phone it in. i went to the pharmacy and it was a zpack, which i have had before but bow the price is $35!!! i said no way when i know that amoxil and augmentin are ALOT cheaper. so i go hame and call her back. she is gone but the nurse was there. she told me not to worry about it that a zpack was NOT an AB that it was a steroid:confused: any way, i did finally get some amoxil, but my big ?? is is it or istn't it? lol

Njean31
01-25-2002, 12:41 PM
what name is on it?

sunrise914
01-25-2002, 12:41 PM
My husband is prescribed the Zpack every time he gets a sinus infection. We were told that is was an AB. For him, its worth the price. Its a 5 day treatment and it works. He is on day 3 now and feels alot better than he has in weeks

niknak
01-25-2002, 12:44 PM
I am not sure about what it is. I know that it WORKS!!! And it works FAST!

billiecs
01-25-2002, 12:44 PM
A z-pac is an antibiotic z is short for Zithromax. It is a five day course you take two pills the first day and one each day there after. That nurse must be an idiot not to know that a z-pac is an antibiotic. And it is a very good antibiotic.

FELICIAMEDINA
01-25-2002, 01:03 PM
A Z-pak is not an antibiotic, it is a corticosteroid used to treat severe allergies, arthritis, asthma, and skin conditions. Especially in a pregnant woman, doctor's do not like to prescribe antibiotics unless absolutely necessary. A sinus infection usually does not require an antibiotic treatment for cure unless it is a bacterial infection - in which case, more than your sinuses would be bothering you. For simple sinus inflammation, a steroid treatment will usually suffice.

ladybugbhb
01-25-2002, 01:15 PM
i still do not know! lol

Felecia:
i do not have a simple sinus infection. I do not want to gross anyone out, but i do have some real nice neon green drainage and my ears are both stopped up. also. i have had this since the week of new years, so it is not just going to go away.

Zithromax is what they give for ear infections in kids sometimes right?

billiecs
01-25-2002, 01:16 PM
Felicia,

I am sorry but I disagree Zithromax (z-pac) is an antibiotic is is made up of azithromycin tablets. It is not a corticosteriod.

kelblend
01-25-2002, 02:01 PM
On the front of this Z-Pak I have sitting in front of me it says a full course of antibiotic therapy in just 5 doses. Now if there are different z-paks I don't know. It says Zithromax with (azithromycin) on the front.

This was taken from rxlist.com

azithromycin

Pronunciation: az ith roe MYE sin
Brand: Zithromax, Zithromax Z-Pak

What is the most important information I should know about azithromycin?
• Take all of the azithromycin that has been prescribed for you even if you begin to feel better. Your symptoms may start to improve before the infection is completely treated.
• Take azithromycin on an empty stomach 1 hour before or 2 hours after meals.
• Do not take antacids that contain aluminum or magnesium within 2 hours of taking azithromycin.

What is azithromycin?
• Azithromycin is in a class of drugs called macrolide antibiotics. Azithromycin fights bacteria in your body.
• Azithromycin is used to treat many different types of bacterial infections, such as bronchitis, pneumonia, tonsillitis, and skin infections.
• Azithromycin may also be used for purposes other than those listed in this medication guide.

Who should not take azithromycin?
• Before taking azithromycin, tell your doctor if you have liver disease. You may not be able to take azithromycin, or you may require a lower dose or special monitoring during treatment.

NOw if what you were going to get was this, it is an antibiotic.

Whenever you want to know something about a prescription, you can always check out www.rxlist.com . It will list alot of info about different drugs there.:D

FELICIAMEDINA
01-25-2002, 02:38 PM
There must definitely be different paks cuz the pak I have right now says it's a steroid treatment. I have bronchitis right now and I have the pak AND an antibiotic (pencillan) that I am taking. Oh well, I guess it depends on which pak you have.

billiecs
01-25-2002, 02:43 PM
There are different packs. There is a steriod pack commonly referred to as a medrol dose pack this contains a tapering dose of steriods.

Njean31
01-25-2002, 03:45 PM
just wanted to back up billecs on this. she is right, z-pack is zithromax an antibiotic, but doc's also commonly prescribe medrol dose packs which is a steroid that is tapered.

kelblend
01-25-2002, 03:53 PM
Wow I guess we learn something every day. Thanks for clarifying that there are different paks.:D

annie169
01-25-2002, 05:10 PM
A z-pak is an antibiotic. It is from a different family of drugs than Penicillin, amoxicillan, etc. These are not good to take if your pregnant. I like it because I can take it and it won't mess up your birth control pills. Also, it doesn't cause yeast infections. (YUCK!) I was trying to find my pdr, but alas....it's missing!! A good website for questions about that is webMD. They can answer a lot of questions. Also, I'm sure of the exact web addy, but you can do a search for Physicians Desk Reference. They have a site and it can tell you almost everything a doctor can about drugs, illness, etc. I used it for my job as a medical transcriptionist.

hetherns
01-25-2002, 07:38 PM
just backing up billiecs

A Z-PAK IS, I REPEAT, IS AN ANTIBIOTIC!!!!!!! I'm a nurse, we
prescribe it all the time for sinusitis (sinus infec) and for
ear infections.....such as that.
There are several steroid paks....such as the Medrol Dose pak.
I know of NO steroid pak named anything close to Z-pak.......
??I work in family practice clinic ( general public)...not
familar with meds ok to take while pregnant....maybe billiecs
can answer....I would be more concerned about taking the steroid...
I know Zithromax (Z-Pak) IS used during pregnancy...............

Gosh, have we helped you or confused you?? hahaha :D

hetherns
01-25-2002, 09:31 PM
Hey, I work in a docs office, yes we get samples, yes we give them
to patients...we usually try to save them for persons who have
no insurance to help pay for med. Some stuff we get tons of and
give to anyone who will stand still long enough!! haha
Ask your doc (or the nurse..who usually is the one who has to go get
samples anyway)...but please don't get mad if we don't have it.....
antibiotic samples go very quickly! Some kinds of bp med, sinus med,
and non narcotic pain meds we get tons of. and nasal sprays! We have
so much of a certain blood pressure med I actually bagged up like a
paper grocery bag for a patient and asked if he would be too
embarressed to tote it out!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

ladybugbhb
01-26-2002, 08:10 PM
wow! i did not know that this would be such a hot topic! lol

I have talked to the pharmacist and he sadi it WAS an antibiotic.

also, it would have been nice had they given it to me. i do have insurance, but my copay is $35 for non generic, which a zpack does not come in generic so that is why the #35 came in. i am sure it is more w/o my copay but that is still alot of money when later i went and she called me in amoxil and it was $ 4.50!!!! Waht a difference!! lol

OldKnitter
04-04-2009, 10:07 AM
I know this is an old post....but I just finished taking Z-Pac for a sinus infection that made me so sick for weeks. I wish I had gone to the doctor sooner....after taking this med I feel I may live to see another day.

ElleGee
04-04-2009, 10:31 AM
My doc put me on 2 courses of the Zithromax a few years ago to treat what he thought was a sinus infection.. I was sick for weeks b/c it messed with my stomach bacteria...

Jackie_Blu
04-04-2009, 10:55 AM
That stuff is awesome. Whenever I have a respiratory infection I always hope (and ask) for the z-pak. It works quickly and great,for me anyway. Someone stated it doesn't cause yeast infections....not true....I get one each time I take this or any antibiotic.

sunniekiss
04-04-2009, 12:29 PM
It is an antibiotic. I have to take that since I have allergies to certain antibiotics. This past September I have to re-fill my script for Z-packs twice becasue it wasn't working. My doctor then put me on predisone which I hated being on but it did work.