PDA

View Full Version : Mailperson tipping?

thriftyangel
12-21-2001, 08:55 PM
Do you tip your mailperson? If so, what do you tip them? I don't think it's at all necessary to tip them, but I'm always confused on tipping (except for waiters). Anyone else have this problem? I don't want to be cheap, but in the same respect I don't have much money and I see no reason to constantly over-tip people when they don't always deserve it.

I have at least 3 mailpersons. I don't even know which days they each work. There is one that is really friendly and she casually mentioned that she won't see me again until Monday. heh... I think she was dropping a hint. She's never let me know her schedule before. I'm glad she mentioned though. I do like her and I feel she deserves a little appreciation. She's really good at her job (she get's here early, she's fast, ect.). I also have been working her awfully hard with all my deals and freebies. ;) I don't have a lot of money to give her decent tip, so I was thinking of maybe getting a box of chocolates to give her for a present with a nice card and a little friendly note inside. Opinions please?

mommyx2
12-21-2001, 09:08 PM

cpbaby
12-21-2001, 09:08 PM
I make homemade candy every year. I leave a tin of candy and a card for my Mailperson, my paper guy and my garbage guy. They do a great job and I want to let them know how much I appreciate them.

mommyx2
12-21-2001, 09:10 PM

cpbaby
12-21-2001, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by mommyx2
ROFLMAO!! They guessed I was talking about a jockstrap!! :p:D

WHAT DID I MISS????

spongebob
12-21-2001, 09:14 PM
hello, i give my mail lady a gift plus a christmas card.. the gift are some of the freebies that i got...

SKYFYRE
12-21-2001, 09:15 PM
LOL!!! I came into this thread cuz I thought you might of been talking about mailperson tipping, as in the same as "cow tipping"... ROFLMAO!!!!!

mommyx2
12-21-2001, 09:15 PM

enola615
12-22-2001, 11:27 AM
I've got at least 4 different mailpersons. I don't tip them at Christmas, but during the year if they are there when I pick up my mail and I get a freebee I don't really need I give to them. Pens, etc. They are real happy that I think of them throughout the year with little things.

fruitloop31576
12-22-2001, 12:02 PM
My mailman collects knives so,I gave him a knife for christmas.I made him promise not to use it on anyone and not to open my freebies!!He promised but I did get an empty box in my mailbox...He was just kidding though...I love my mailman!!:D

YYounghouse
12-22-2001, 12:15 PM
when you leave a gift, for a holiday- or a job well done for your
mailperson- If you don't write on the label"for my regular maildeliver"
then the substitute driver can take it. At least that is how it works
here in Huntsville, Tx. both of my In Laws deliver mail.
they recieve many christmas gifts from their routes. These gifts are
usually homemake goodies or a small token of appreciation. My mother
in law recently recieved a small sports bottle with a straw that she loves, because it gets so hot here while delivering mail, she felt
very well cared for
just an FYI.

thriftyangel
12-22-2001, 08:22 PM
Thanks for the input everyone. That was a really good idea about the sports bottle. I live in FL, and I know the poor woman has to fry in all the heat. It's not like they can keep their little trucks cool when they have to keep the door open and jump out frequently.

I've never felt the urge to tip or get a present for my mailperson, but this woman is really good and friendly. I've had horrible luck in the past with the mailcarriers. Just today for example... I watched the mailman try to shove my big Allure Relief box in my normal sized mailbox. Only a complete idiot would have thought it could possibly fit. Then rather than get out and bring the package up to my door he just drives off. :rolleyes: I had to stop what I was doing, run out and catch him before he got too far down the road. When I asked him if he had a package for me, he took a minute to answer and looked like he was about to say no, until I gave him a little dirty look. He never said anything, just blinked a couple of times, turned around, handed me the package and drove off. I know the guy was probably tired, but that's uncalled for. I even checked to see if he had a broken leg or something that would make it hard for him to walk up to my door, but he looked okay. Maybe he was sick, but things like that happen often when someone other than the normal maillady delivers for me. Like even when I'm home, things that need to be brought up to my door (like those little certified letters) don't get here. I just get note telling me to go pick it up.

mommyx2
06-22-2006, 08:01 AM

lisarae
06-22-2006, 08:12 AM

What the heck is this all about?

Kyla Kym
06-22-2006, 11:45 PM
Wow! This thread was started 5 years ago! LOL
Why on earth did you bump up a post that was 5 years old?

hotwheelstx
06-23-2006, 02:38 AM
Wow! This thread was started 5 years ago! LOL
Why on earth did you bump up a post that was 5 years old?

That's what I was thinking...... :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

tsquared
06-23-2006, 03:32 AM
That's what I was thinking...... :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
Me Too

Kelsey1224
06-23-2006, 09:21 AM
LOL!!! I came into this thread cuz I thought you might of been talking about mailperson tipping, as in the same as "cow tipping"... ROFLMAO!!!!!

That was the first thought that came to my mind as well... :D

cathych
06-23-2006, 09:43 AM
Why are we talking about tipping the letter carriers? Are you aware of how much they get paid??? The reason waitstaff typically get tipped is because they get paid very poorly. (I know, been there, done that). But a letter carrier is a government employee & gets paid very well. Also, what are people talking about Christmas in June for? What I just got off the web was that full time postal carriers are paid $47k a year. Plus, they get a good retirement & benefits.

Jolie Rouge
06-23-2006, 10:05 AM
I'm really curious about the comments that MommyX2 editted out ..... hhhmmmm

buttrfli
06-23-2006, 10:17 AM
Why are we talking about tipping the letter carriers? Are you aware of how much they get paid??? The reason waitstaff typically get tipped is because they get paid very poorly. (I know, been there, done that). But a letter carrier is a government employee & gets paid very well. Also, what are people talking about Christmas in June for? What I just got off the web was that full time postal carriers are paid $47k a year. Plus, they get a good retirement & benefits.

since you asked ... lol

Their salary has NOTHING to do with why I tip. I tip for good service. I do tip my main mail carrier around the holidays or I give her a gift. She knows when we are home (when our blinds are open) and rather than leaving a package at our mailbox on the ground, she will bring it (and the rest of my mail) to the door and she never tried to stuff in things that barely fit.

My co-workers wife is a postal carrier and its not an easy job.. its very stressful.

Just because they make good money doesn't mean that I can't let them know I appreciate their service.

wvinmt
07-01-2006, 03:25 AM
First off, postal employees are not "government" employees. We make our salaries off of the cost of postage whether it is for personal or business use. We are not supported by your tax dollars.

I guess $47k per year is alot of money if you want to count 60 hour work weeks, no personal/family time, and 1 person doing the job of 4. We do not get holidays off. The post office is a 24/7/365 operation. The reason for the good benefits and retirement is due to the toll placed on your body when you are working the mail. On the flip side of that is the cost to the employee for the good benefits and retirement. At least one third of that $47k is going to to pay for those. Oh yeah, don't forget taxes, rent, utilities, maybe a car payment, the cost of gas and insurance for that car. Why, I feel like Bill Gates with all that money left over.

If you feel that you are not getting good service from your letter carrier, contact the post office to let the postmaster know. Most times service is fixed pretty quick.

Just like in a restaurant, you should tip for good service and not tip for bad.