PDA

View Full Version : Free 911 emergency calls on deactivated cell phones!

xanndra
11-25-2001, 10:54 AM
I found the following information very interesting. I know a lot of people pay a monthly service for a cell phone that they keep only for emergencies. BUT-----I have never seen this information publicly distributed.http://www.post-gazette.com/consumer/20010925zanos0925p5.asp

If you are on a tight budget, check with your local police department. The Findlay police department, for example, collects old cell phones and gives them to residents who request them. Officer Jeff O'Donnell says his department has collected 90 cell phones so far.

"We tell people they can call 911 only and they can't receive any incoming calls," O'Donnell says.

The Findlay police modeled their program after one offered by Mt. Lebanon police. These programs work because of a federal law that says all 911 calls must be connected.

The Federal Communication Commission's Meribeth McCarrick says, "FCC rules require wireless carriers to forward all 911 calls to the appropriate public safety answering point even if the call is coming from someone who is not a subscriber."

McCarrick says that means even if the phone is deactivated, as long as the phone is in working order, the caller can reach 911. You must remember to keep the phone battery charged and that you have no number for 911 to call you back.

Itsamama
11-25-2001, 11:16 AM
Keeping an unused cell phone in the car (& plugged-in), at all times, is a great idea that we gleaned from our son, who used to sell cell phones. You never know when it might come in handy. Passing them on to the police department is a great idea. I'm going to check with the local P.D. to see if they know of such a program.
Great post!

wendall
11-25-2001, 11:16 AM
I was reading the message about cell phones for 911 uses.
I work for the Strafford County Attorney's Office in New Hampshire. We are the DA, prosecutors office but are call County Attorney...it's just a NH thing...
Anyways, we have Victims Assistance in violent crimes which include domestic abuse...we also provide cell phones for 911 calling. So check with other agencies not just police.
Kootoes to you for posting this...it could save a life.
No one should be or feel alone when they are being hurt whether you are an adult or child.
Be safe.

rbward9598
11-25-2001, 11:21 AM
Thank You!! This is a great post!!! Let's keep this BUMPED so everyone gets a chance to read!!! :D

mlathroum
11-25-2001, 01:40 PM
In Maryland old cell phones are also collected. Here they are used for domestic violence victims. Thank You for posting this. If you have an old cell phone that won't be used please call your local police agency that could use it.
I agree a life could be saved by this. What better Freebie than that!!

sparklieshoes
11-25-2001, 01:58 PM
I too, used to work for a cellular carrier and know that if you have a deactivated phone that you can still call 9ll. Just be sure that the phone is in working condition and is charged.

sheenajungle
11-25-2001, 03:04 PM
interesting, thanks:rolleyes:

xanndra
11-28-2001, 07:47 AM
Bump

tdsma
11-28-2001, 10:20 AM
I have a Nokia "TracFone" that you buy pre-paid phone cards for rather than a monthly service fee...according to their website, this works only if you have the speed dial emergency feature (on this phone it's hold the "9" key down for a while)...dialing "9-1-1" supposedly won't work on a deactivated phone. don't know if this is relevant only to this type of phone or not??

Slickvitt
11-28-2001, 11:01 AM
they distribute them to women who are at risk at domestic abuse and im guessing if their abuser gets out of jail.
I have 2 cell phones, and one a tracfone,i just havent decided to do with either since none are currently being used for financial reasons.
i may get the tracfone reactivated for personal use and 911 calls are free on tracfones and with all other cellphones.

BY THE WAY.....all local telephone companies used to do this if you had your telephone service disconnected.Leave a line open and the only call you could make was to 911.I dont think they do it anymore but they should start it back for many individuals dont have phone service and cant afford it PLUS what they charge for the 911 service,its more than enough pays for the ones who have never called the number and the ones who dont have active phone service in their homes to have a open line to call them.
I say lets keep this one bumped and write your local newspapers in the form of an editorial in hopes of someone reading it and keeping the information out there so the neighborhood where you live can do a program like this.! I dont live in Louisville,but hey,domestic violence is everywhere and affects anyone involved!

xanndra
11-29-2001, 11:12 AM
bump

xanndra
11-30-2001, 10:07 AM
Hmmmmm.Seems like someone is copying my post.

slthomas
12-02-2001, 06:47 PM
Thanks. This is my home town newspaper and I hadn't read this article. Thanks.

mathena1
12-02-2001, 08:48 PM
As Martha would say "It's a good thing"

xanndra
12-08-2001, 02:29 PM
Just wanted to make sure everyone had the chance to see this.

Jcowgirl77
12-08-2001, 10:26 PM
I just wanted to say this is a great idea I have a bunch of cell phones my local phone company is always calling us with a new phone that came out and since my husbands work pays for them we go ahead and get a new one like every three months so I will have to find out if they do this where I live and donate all my phones to them thank you for the great post and iI am bumping this one up right to the top.

xanndra
12-31-2001, 05:36 PM
bumping!

PrincessArky
12-31-2001, 08:44 PM
wow that is great

Technologist
12-31-2001, 09:18 PM
I didn't think about posting this here.....

For the past 5 years, a I do my weekend walks through the flea markts, I always keep my eyes open for cell phones. When I see one, I ask the seller how much they want for it, then I tell them I am buying it to donate to the local womens shelter. I can tell you right now that I have NEVER paid more than $5.00 for a phone, and most of the time the seller just gives it to me. Try this next time yoiur out.

I'll try to post some addresses to send the phones to shortly!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!

dream walker 2
12-31-2001, 11:12 PM
I had heard about this before. I didn't know if it worked or not. but believe me it does, My friend has a cell phone, but it wasn't activated. behind on her bill. worthless husband on drugs. She had no telephone either. I told her she could dial 911 anyway and it would go through. she is in the process of getting a divorce. has filed complaint after complaint about her husband. and they won't do anything. One night they got into a fight. and he had a knife to her throat, she had hit the 911 on her cell phone. The police arrived and took him to jail. He would have killed her. I don't know what is wrong with the law, when it comes to abuse. One police officer had seen the knife on the bar about an half hour before, she had walked to a neighbors and called them. He saw them coming and hid in the woods behind her house. after they left he broke in and tried to kill her. thats when she said she remembered me telling her about the cell phone. thank God it worked. A lot of people doen't know this. So do tell everyone about it. It really can save a life. It saved my friends.
Great post. keep it bumped.

xanndra
01-12-2002, 11:36 AM
Bumping!

ragztarichez
01-12-2002, 12:06 PM
BUMP!!!!

MsLynn
07-14-2007, 02:46 PM
I have a Nokia "TracFone" that you buy pre-paid phone cards for rather than a monthly service fee...according to their website, this works only if you have the speed dial emergency feature (on this phone it's hold the "9" key down for a while)...dialing "9-1-1" supposedly won't work on a deactivated phone. don't know if this is relevant only to this type of phone or not??

its a federal law, as of 2002 they have to provide 911 access......

PLEASE DON'T LET YOUR KIDS PLAY WITH OLD CELL PHONES. we literally receive 100's of calls a month, kids playing with old cell phones some kids are great and when they figure it out they don't call anymore, others will continueously call, we have no way to track them and some of them will call over and over and over making up all kinds of things. sometimes we can keep them talking and get enough info to track them down. other times we've had kids that called us over 1000 times in a weeks time.

SLance68
07-14-2007, 03:17 PM
If you have a land line and it is disconnected it will still work to call 911.