PDA

View Full Version : What toys do you remember playing with......

Mini
10-31-2001, 01:20 PM
when you were little that is either endangered or extinct now??:D
well i'm still young but i remember tinker toys,those were so much fun
thats all i can remember right now lol

and fyi i was NOT thinking about making the question somethiing else as ya'll probably thought when you saw the thread title:eek: :D

SummerSong
10-31-2001, 01:31 PM
My favorite doll was Baby Alive, I don't think they make her anymore !:(

dcut4
10-31-2001, 01:37 PM
Oh god I loved my baby alive!!! that is until I ran out of food for her and cheapy mom would not buy me any more, so the quick thinker that I am gave her lotion to eat....it got all hard inside her and needless to say baby alive got constipated.

Gia
10-31-2001, 01:37 PM
My Drowsy baby doll, my Sunshine Family Dolls, marbles and I LOVED to play jacks :D

dcut4
10-31-2001, 01:40 PM
AHHH...I remember the sunshine family dolls, the guy had cool shaggy hair...and they all had big eyes,they all had big heads too...used them as kids for my barbies.
Ok I will stay out of this tread now.

DreamWarrior
10-31-2001, 01:43 PM
I remember when I was REALLY little I played with Weebles... not those pansy a** things they make today but the BIG chunky ones.... I loved those things!!!!

Oh that and my Kissing Kathy doll... it was about as tall as I was and when you pressed its belly it kissed at you. (this was my moms when she was younger)

puddintane
10-31-2001, 01:53 PM
I loved my Stawberry Shortcake dolls, and all my Rainbow Brite dolls...ohoh...and my Get Along Gang stuff! I've still got my Ditty Dog.... she needs a new coat of paint, no clothes or a face anymore:(
Ahhh...those were the days!

captorquewrench
10-31-2001, 02:33 PM
I didn't have any toys. i was kept in the attic and fed stale bread and curdled milk.

No really I had
an Inchworm
a ride-on western Auto pedal tractor
An EX BAke oven that looked like an oven not this thing they have now like a microwave
A Sew-Easy
Lite-Brite
Walking Mickey Mouse (you held him by the hands and squeeze the hand, it would make that leg kick out)
Barbie
weebles (weebles wobble but they don't fall down)
One of those big bouncy balls you sat on and it had a handle
Tinker Toys (the original wooden ones, not this plastic junk they have now)
Lincoln Logs (also wood)

As I got older....technology invaded us
2XL
The original Simon
Super Simon
Merlin
Atari 2600
And I got a computer....a Radio Shack Tandy TRS-80

puddintane
10-31-2001, 02:46 PM
ohohoh...and Popples(remember those?) and the really cool G.I. Joes, and Mr. Potatoe Head!

teenap
10-31-2001, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by DreamWarrior
I remember when I was REALLY little I played with Weebles... not those pansy a** things they make today but the BIG chunky ones.... I loved those things!!!!

I was going to say weebles too!
I still have the weeble haunted house!!!:eek:

I also liked the games Husker Du and Hi-Ho Cherry O
but I think they still make those.:p

slyred
10-31-2001, 03:41 PM
Hmm, here goes:

Little kiddles-they were little dolls and had their very own house

creepy crawlers and incredible edibles-just like creepy crawlers but you could eat them, kinda like gummy worms now

colorforms

Tiny Tears doll

*sniff* the good old days :rolleyes:

Betteann
10-31-2001, 06:58 PM
Paper dolls. They were the Barbies of yesterday.

Willow
10-31-2001, 07:36 PM
I had a Mrs. Beasley doll. You know the one Buffy from Family Affair had. From what my mother said I left it outside one night and it rained so it got ruined. I wish I still had that doll today as they are worth a lot of money if you can find a collector who is willing too part with it. I also liked Lincoln Logs. They were very cool!

asickchick
10-31-2001, 08:15 PM
Right now all I can remember is Barbie and stuff but my thing was I always played with the boys!!

angelinwaiting
10-31-2001, 08:27 PM
As kids, my brothers, sisters, and I were made to stay outside most all day, so, I played with my bike, climbed trees, made mudpies, played tag, freeze tag, king of the porch, and kick the can....all outside games....I would get a new doll every Christmas but I don't remember playing with it much....I always wanted one of those doll heads that you did her hair and put on her makeup, but I never got one... :( :(

Judasknot
10-31-2001, 08:58 PM
I was a very strange kid. Never liked Barbie got one and never played with it. I had a baby doll I adored,a stuffed swan that played music when you wound it up, but my most favorite was a blackboard,and desk I got when I was in grade 2. I always wanted books, they were my favorite gift. One year my stepfather got a set of encyclopedias for all the kids (7 of us) and I thought I died and went to heaven. I would sit and read them all the time!

I was a bookworm the kind in elementry school that got straight A's and the other kids hated

Ladytiger
10-31-2001, 09:17 PM
Ok, I loved Tinker Toys too and Lincoln Logs...always played with Barbies but they are still around. Also, remember a doll named Chrissy? You could pull her hair and make it longer, then make it shorter?;)

kelblend
10-31-2001, 10:08 PM
I had that dollhead that you did her hair and put on makeup lol. I had a Farrah Fawett Barbie and a Cher Barbie. I had one of those big green inchworms that you could ride on. (sounds awful lol)Oh, the barbie townhouse with the yellow elevator that you pulled the string to make it move. Then there was the lite-brite, the paint by numbers sets and that's about all I remember. Wait, remember the skipper barbie that if you twirled her arms she got boobs???

stresseater
10-31-2001, 11:31 PM
Baby Dinasaurs and yes they are totally extinct...:D Oh wait that was Earthmama's favorite toy:eek: :eek: I use to have a soft plastic barbie airplane that I loved to put my little brother in and lock it up:p :p

Maeryn
10-31-2001, 11:37 PM
I had the Baby Alive, too! My mom hated it. I don't remember this, but she said after a while it started to smell bad from that fake food.

My stepdad gave me a stuffed musical dog for Christmas when I was five. That was over thirty years ago. I still have the dog, and his music box is creaky, but it still works! My stepdad died when I was eight, and we were very close, so Dog is one of my most treasured possessions.

Another thing I remember having is a game called Gnip-Gnop. Anybody else remember that one?

earthmama
10-31-2001, 11:42 PM
See what I have to put up with??? No wonder I'm getting very grey.

I was a tomboy, I had lot's of toys, but I had more fun with a 55 gallon drum than any of them. We had a huge back yard and I walked on that barrel for hours at a time. I could turn it and go anywhere I wanted and seldom fell off. Strange Kid huh!!!

magicwoman19
10-31-2001, 11:43 PM
I remember palying with

Barbies
webbles
rainbow brite ( i love her, I still have her somewhere)
Popples ( wish I still had them)
pound puppies
heman and shera
I could go on and on I miss my toys!:(

stresseater
10-31-2001, 11:48 PM
Barrell,dinasaurs,rocks,sticks,you get the idea:D :D :D :p :p ;)
I also had a 2-3 foot homemade alligator that little brother and iI played a game with called ally oop. I'd say here comes ally oop and he'd run. I'd chase him and when I caught him I'd smack him with the alligator:confused: :confused: am I noticing a pattern:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

KrystallizedFlame
11-01-2001, 01:53 AM
How about Care Bears, Smurfs, and Cabbage Patch Kids? I never got a Cabbage Patch Kid because they were too expensive back in 1983, 1984 era. I remember hearing them going for over $200 a piece. But I do know I had a smurf and a carebear. I also loved watching the cartoons. Still do..lol...

I had barbies of course. Oh, can't forget Legos. Loved those too. There are more, I just can't remember them right now...lol

mathena1
11-01-2001, 04:32 AM
When I was little they didn't have toys.....we played with sticks and rocks! No, really I played with:
the first Barbie ever created......I am old
Gyroscopes
Tea sets
Moon Rocks
Etch-O-Scetch I don't even remember how to spell it
We had Diaries
I had a bike (a three wheeler)that had a wagon attached on the back and it was suppose to be a fire truck.
My Dad made good money and we had tons of dolls when it was just my sister and I but after my brother came along things got bad with his job and we did not get so much. Great thread! Nice to remember our toys. R.I.P

Technologist
11-01-2001, 04:51 AM
Originally posted by mathena1
When I was little they didn't have toys.....we played with sticks and rocks!

Oh that makes me sooooooo mad; you stole my answer!!!! As soon as I saw this, I thought the same thing (sticks, rocks, dirt...).

Okay, time to get this thread hoppin'.....

My favorite plaything of all time (drumroll please......)

MY DING-A-LING!!!!!!

If you don't get it, you are less than 35 years old!!!:eek: :D :eek: :rolleyes: :D :eek:

cavemtmomma
11-01-2001, 05:26 AM
Remember those "Sputnik" radios? You attatched an alligator clip (back when you DIDN'T use them for roaches!!!) to a metal screen and pulled up a little antenna to get in the radio station. I loved those! Also had an Agent 99 lipstick radio (Get Smart) same concept, different shape. O.K. now I will lumber off woth the rest of the dinosuars.Sorry about the spelling buts it's 4:20 a.m. and I've been up all night!

Technologist
11-01-2001, 06:05 AM
Alone, of course. And I still have that "favorite toy", although now it is my second favorite (just ask my wife).....

KellyA
11-01-2001, 06:05 AM
Originally posted by Ladytiger
Ok, I loved Tinker Toys too and Lincoln Logs...always played with Barbies but they are still around. Also, remember a doll named Chrissy? You could pull her hair and make it longer, then make it shorter?;)

aaaawww....I had Chrissy too~`I loved that doll.
I had the original little baby Joey doll(from All in the Family)
I also had a Betty Big girl doll(atleast thats what my mom said her name was)~~she was a full size girl doll that would walk(?)when you held her hands.(well,kind of walked)she was tall though not like a baby doll.Gosh,how I wish I still had those dolls!!!I will have to think about this some more......

KellyA
11-01-2001, 06:18 AM
We had a stretch armstrong doll too.He was alot of fun.Boy~~did we ever stretch him,twisted and tied him.but,eventually,he would get puntured and when he did all this gunk would seep out!I'm still going to think about this cause its such a fun question!!!

mathena1
11-01-2001, 08:00 AM
Technologist,
Hope you didn't beat it with rocks and sticks and drag it in the dirt! LOL
Cavemtmomma,
Mine is older than that we used Tin Can Telephones with a wire strung between the two and buttons on a string that you twirled and spun,but don't get your "hair" caught in them Technologist LOL!!!!

moe265
11-01-2001, 08:08 AM
Baby Grow a tooth
tippy toes (doll that had a bike and a ride on horse)
barbies and I had a barbie dream ship (the fold out airplane)
ez bake oven
I had a metal doll house (my mom still has it)
hmmmmm... will have to think some more....

captorquewrench
11-01-2001, 09:29 AM
I forgot about Milky the Cow.

Now that I think about it this was kind of sick but I DID love it.

The udder came off and you put a white tablet in it.

Then, you puched Milky's head down into a trough of water and pumped her tail to make her drink.

Then when she was full her head popped up (she had a bell and everything, black & white cow) and you guessed it....

You got some milk!

Nasty tasting too I might add.

Maeryn
11-01-2001, 01:16 PM
OMG, I get it, Technologist!

I haven't thought of that in YEARS. I remember my brothers and their friends, at the top of their lungs.....LOL!!

tiffany21
11-01-2001, 03:01 PM
mine was hot wheels and still is i play them with my son.

immortal_amaranth
11-01-2001, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by dcut4
Oh god I loved my baby alive!!! that is until I ran out of food for her and cheapy mom would not buy me any more, so the quick thinker that I am gave her lotion to eat....it got all hard inside her and needless to say baby alive got constipated.

LMAO!! I ran out of food, so I gave mine corn...we all know about corn, but this stuff never came out. :) ;) :D :p :cool:

I had thundercat dolls, GI Joe, barbie (of course), and my little pony.

Kyla Kym
07-03-2007, 11:41 PM
HEY MINI!!! I just ran across this thread doing a search, how old were you when you started this thread? I know we watched you grow up on here. And now your a beautiful young lady. :)

I also thought everyone might find this interesting again as well. I seen Patch had a Mrs. Beasley doll too, I grew up with one and she was my favorite doll. :)

leanne
07-04-2007, 03:47 AM
Cabbage Patch dolls were my favorite when I was a little girl.I had 4 of them and still have one.I try to get my 5 year old to like these dolls but she's just not having it.I bought her 4 for Christmas 2 years ago and they all have blue chicken pox(markers).

andreame70
07-04-2007, 05:41 AM
I also had a Mrs. Beasley doll that I adored, until my two older brothers took her from me one day and did open heart surgery on her with a pocket knife to see what made her talk. I was devastated for weeks!

I also loved the Spirograph and the spin art sets.

Moving on to the 10 year old stage or so, I was really into music and I had a record player. My parents would go to Woolworth's every Friday and they would give us $5.00 each in allowance. I could buy 45 records for $0.69 each and I would get 3-4 each week and some candy. That was the highlight of my pre-teen years!

I am so glad this thread got bumped back up, I missed it the first time it was posted.

Andrea