Girls intestines sucked out by pool drain
Girl Seriously Injured in Swimming Pool Mishap as Drain Pump Sucks Out Her Intestines
Thursday, July 05, 2007
MINNEAPOLIS — A six-year-old girl has been hospitalized after a horrifying accident at a swimming pool, when she sat on an open drain and a powerful suction pump tore out part of her intestinal tract. A surgeon told the family Wednesday that part of her intestines had been lost.
Abigail Taylor was severely injured Tuesday when she sat over an open drain hole in a wading pool at the Minneapolis Golf Club, according to a posting by her family on the Caring Bridge Web site.
The posting, which has since been taken down, said it is a "medical miracle" that Taylor is still alive.
Taylor is listed in serious condition at Children's Hospital in Minneapolis. Bob Bennett, an attorney representing the family, told the St. Paul Pioneer Press she was conscious and able to speak late Tuesday but that she faces a series of surgeries with uncertain results.
Bennett alleged that the swimming pool's drain hole was improperly uncovered. An official at the golf club expressed sympathy for the family and said he didn't think anything was wrong with the pool, but referred questions to the club's attorney, who declined to comment.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.
07-05-2007 11:48 AM
wow that is truly terrible, I cant even imagine.
oh my gosh, that's horrifying!
me either.........poor little one
Originally Posted by freeby4me
Mom I miss you already
January 16, 1940 to April 29, 2009
I just found out about this today .. while at the pool. I was on vacation when this was posted so I missed it.
How horrible! .. I would have never thought that could have happened. God bless that little girl and her family.
They say it takes a minute to find a special person, an hour to appreciate them, a day to love them, but then an entire life to forget them. Distance and time may separate us but friendship and memories won't.
~When someone you love becomes a memory, the memory becomes a treasure~
Oh My Goodness!
Prayers for this 6 yo for healing.
Originally Posted by LuvBigRip
Has he completely lost his mind? If there is nothing wrong with the pool, then how the heck could it have sucked someone's intestines out? This is NOT something that just happens. Hell, it is not even imaginable. Something is seriously wrong with the pump for it to have that much suction...period! That poor child, I sure hope she can recover.
actually the drain cover had a problem they were redesigned years ago so they would not allow something like this, many years ago the covers had maybe 2 or 3 holes close together until people started getting hurt then they redesigned them so that no one could become attached, if i'm not mistaken they believe the drain cover was removed or damaged in this case, at least thats what i heard on one of the newschannels
CONFUSED AS A BABY IN A TOPLESS BAR
Family of girl maimed by pool drain sues
Fri Nov 16, 8:05 AM ET
MINNEAPOLIS - The family of a 6-year-old girl who lost part of her intestinal tract after sitting on an open drain in a wading pool is suing the pool manufacturer and the country club where the accident happened.
Abigail Taylor faces a small intestine transplant that will keep her hospitalized for six months, said family attorney Robert Bennett. Her lifetime medical expenses could total $30 million and the country club carries only $6 million in liability insurance, he said.
The lawsuit filed Thursday in Hennepin County District Court names as defendants the Minneapolis Golf Club and Sta-Rite Industries, the pool equipment manufacturer owned by Pentair Corp.
Pentair accuses the country club of failing to maintain its pool equipment. The Minneapolis Golf Club says its pools consistently pass city inspections.
Abigail has been hospitalized twice, each time for about a month, since the June 29 accident. "Her attitude couldn't really be any better," said her father, Scott Taylor. "She is an amazing girl. ... She doesn't get down on herself. I think sometimes, Katey, my wife, and I have a harder time with this than she does going through it."
Abigail is walking and wears a backpack with one tube carrying nutrients to her chest and another tube carrying predigested food to her stomach. She wears a colostomy bag and attends school with a nurse who accompanies her 12 hours a day, Taylor said.
The lawsuit alleges that Abigail was playing in the kiddie pool when she fell and landed on the uncovered suction outlet. She became trapped when the sump created a vacuum and her intestines were pulled out through her rectum, the suit says.
Taylor said the lawsuit was necessary to provide for his daughter's future medical costs. "It's a life-changing event, and our insurance is probably going to run out next year," he said. "In addition to that, it would be my hope that the manufacturer of this cover would change their product and take this one off the market."
Bennett alleges that Sta-Rite knew that its suction cover was a hazard and failed to come up with a safer product. The lawsuit cites three previous disembowelments caused by Sta-Rite equipment.
It also accuses the Minneapolis Golf Club of failing to properly install the cover and frame, failing to inspect it and failing to close the pool when the cover came off on the day of the accident.
Pentair issued a statement blaming the country club for its "misuse of its pool products, inadequate site supervision and improper maintenance." The company said a golf ball lodged in a pool pipe, creating the suction that led to the accident.
Dan Haws, an attorney for the country club, denied that a golf ball got stuck in the pipe. He said the drain cover had been in place shortly before the accident and was installed the same way for about four years and had never before come loose.
Several states have passed pool-safety laws after children drowned or were disemboweled by drain suction. North Carolina, for instance, requires pools to have dual drains to diffuse the force of the suction and prevent children from being trapped.
Laissez les bon temps rouler! Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.** a 4 day work week & sex slaves ~ I say Tyt for PRESIDENT! Not to be taken internally, literally or seriously ....Suki ebaynni
IS THAT BETTER ?
Girl Whose Disembowelment Led To Pool Legislation Dies
Abigail Taylor Dies In Omaha
POSTED: 10:50 am CDT March 21, 2008
UPDATED: 12:51 pm CDT March 21, 2008
OMAHA, Neb. -- A 6-year-old girl who underwent a rare transplant surgery after her intestines were sucked out in a swimming pool has died in an Omaha hospital.
Abigail Taylor's family said she died Thursday evening. Bob Bennett is an attorney for the Taylor family. He said Abigail's parents were with her when she died at Nebraska Medical Center in Omaha.
NMC's Paul Baltes confirmed to KETV NewsWatch 7 that Abigail died at the hospital, where she has been under care since the operation. Baltes was not sure whether an autopsy or exact cause of death would be released to the public.
Abigail was injured when she sat on a pool drain, and its powerful suction ripped out part of her intestinal tract on June 29. She underwent transplant surgery in December at the Nebraska hospital to receive a new small bowel, liver and pancreas.
University of Nebraska Medical Center Chief of Transplantation Dr. Alan Langas said in December that Abigail was one of the oldest patients he's seen to receive such a transplant. Langas said at the time many transplant patients are under age 2 and some are even less than a year old.
The girl's father said she was "in and out of it" after the transplant.
After the injury, Abigail had to get her nourishment through an intravenous tube. If successful, the transplant should have allowed her to eat just like any other kid.
She later suffered setbacks, including a cancerous condition sometimes triggered by organ transplants.
In 2006, there were 96 pediatric small bowel transplants performed at 16 medical centers in the United States, according to UNMC. The busiest program was Jackson Memorial Hospital in Miami, performing 22 and the second busiest program was The Nebraska Medical Center, performing 14. The Nebraska Medical Center has performed about 4,800 solid organ transplants since the transplant program started in 1985.
The Minneapolis Star Tribune reported in November that Taylor's family filed suit against the pool manufacturer and the Minneapolis Golf Club.
"The suit blamed both the club, located in St. Louis Park, Minn, and Sta-Rite Industries, a pool equipment manufacturer owned by a Golden Valley company, for the accident, in which 21 feet of Abigail Taylor's small intestine were sucked out when she landed on an uncovered suction outlet in the kiddie pool in June," the paper reported.
In December, President George W. Bush signed The Virginia Graeme Baker Pool and Spa Safety Act of 2007, according to SafeKids.net. The legislation provides incentives for states to adopt comprehensive pool safety laws that will protect children from life-threatening injuries and deaths from potentially dangerous pool and spa drains.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.